Struggle with motivation and/or change of plan.

Recently I’ve become increasingly aware of what could be described as a lack of motivation. Only I don’t think it is that simple. I like to plan things to the nth degree (no surprise there) and usually start this process days or weeks in advance. If then on the day everything goes to plan, i.e deliveries turn up on time, people turn up on time and do what they are supposed to, etc, etc. All good! However, if something doesn’t go right, that’s it, I’m stumped. It’s like someone has turned me off.

I can sit on the sofa all day,  or knowing what to do, until I can get into a reorganisation phase and try again. A prime example is the garden building/home office project I’ve got at home at the moment. There are obviously 1000’s of things to do, if if I’ve planned steps 8,9,10, and the materials I need for 9 don’t turn up. That’s it, none starter. Although I could do bits of 11, 15 and 197.

I can’t decide if this is “normal”, I have low motivation or what’s going on.

Parents
  • You are overwhelmed with the size of the project in front of you - too many things to do, too many places to start, too many options - my friend is stuck in this mode with his house renovation - for the last 15 years!

It would really help you to bounce the options off a second person to help you prioritise and pick at the low-hanging fruit first - some quick & easy successes would help get things moving and get you back into the mood.

• That’s not a bad idea. 

my friend is stuck in this mode with his house renovation - for the last 15 years!

I think if it takes more than a year my wife will kill me! At least then I won’t have to worry about it. We’ll call that Plan B.

• We think his wife will eventually kill him and put him under the patio - and then call in "DIY-SOS".   Smiley

He's so lost and disorganised now that we were supposed to be going to visit them tomorrow - but haven't had a confirmation - even with a gentle reminder to him earlier in the week.

• I'm Type-A, therefore want everything done IMMEDIATELY!

• Finally heard from friend late last night - too disorganised - can we push it off another 3 weeks to my next non-chemo weekend?

Nothing like plenty of notice......

Reply Children