Working for a call centre!

I have recently been working for a call center, due to covid it was a viable option as it was homebased. 

The first week was rough the predicted crash course with fries like any other major corporation. 

I felt stress as I was not trained properly for the job but as the weeks progressed I adapted and learnt on the job, I suppose like everyother person. 

I started to feel really burnt-out at the end of the day and this week past I've been completely exhausted yesterday I had such chest pains that I threw up, my head was sweating and I was dizzy.

Has anyone ever felt like this in a similar role. 

I feel bad, what ever job I do the stress of it alway makes me ill mentally I just push myself through but yesterday I really felt I was going to die, I know that's melodramatic but that how I experienced my situation, plus it being cover incarceration year where I live the doctors surgery isn't even answering the phone not that they did before I suppose. 

• By the way, I'm actually in the market for a VoIP system for work.

• I hope that you find a suitable job soon.  It is soul destroying being unemployed and people being unpleasant about it.  It is also grim trying to cling on to an unsuitable job just because it is theonly job available.

• I worked for a call centre for a few weeks in 2005. I still can't answer a phone or make a call because of the level of task-specific burnout it caused. If you can quit without starving to death, quit.

• I worked for a call center technical support line. Having to talk to so many people made me nauseous, exhausted and I also had a burn out. I hate phone calls, I took this job only because the only option was a cashier in supermarket, there is more noise. I was always told I was perfect at explaining things, my efficiency and quality were high, but I always struggled with the soft skills! Solving problems, helping others - no problem, but soft skills- I can’t even properly understand what it actually is. I only heard “modulate your voice” and don’t speak so slow. My best job ever was in a small company as a warehouse manager. Always the same tasks, tasks that were repetitive, predictable and most beautiful thing! Boxes and shelves don’t talk to me! They just carry the relevant information! Now I’m looking for a job and I hope to find something similar, something that will not affect my fragile mental health. 

• I totally get where you're coming from. Working in a call center, especially during these crazy times, can be super draining. I've been there myself. It's rough at first, but you start figuring things out as you go. And yeah, burnout is no joke. It's important to take care of yourself.

• Yeah, the place I worked at lost their main contract in the city so the staff who weren't brought back into local council contracts were fired soon after but the training wasn't brilliant and they covered all of this north London council's services like registrars who you could never get hold of....was a nightmare.

• OMG someone phoned me up once in the job from a place called Lossiemouth in Scotland. He talked very quickly and I just said 'what? Lossie. Mouth?' at the end. A really broad Scottish accent.

• I think being on the phone all day must be the worst job for autistic people. It's noisy, busy, you get interrupted all the time, you have to be smiling and bubbly all the time. I never did a job like that again, ugh.

A gallery must be lovely Relaxed

• yes i forgot about accents some people i had no idea what they were saying :)

• Yeah, the place I worked at was pretending to be a local centre for a borough in London where they had strong accents. Where I am and where the call centre was is like 200 miles from London and they had very strong accents. I found the headset gave me headaches too and the people just shouting in my ear was too much.

• I tried working in a call centre on a technical helpline. Although I easily passed a knowledge test about the subject, I found doing the job difficult for example trying to understand many different accents, the multi tasking involved (listening, putting information into the system, coming up with a solution and putting it in to words). Looking back, I think that my being on the spectrum caused the problems.  My tongue ached because of the ammount of extra talking I had to do. I didn't last long in the job. Also, I had unpleasant dreams at night.

• Probably the main reason I've liked working in a gallery before lockdown.The call centre I worked at was just packed full of noise and they used to go mad at me if I kept my coat on.

• I worked for a couple of years as a receptionist on the phone all day. I hated it. My ears just wore out with all the noise and constant questions and talking, every evening I had to go home and lie down in a dark room in complete silence. I stopped using the phone after that and still prefer texting and emailing.
    You are very brave to do such a loud job, good luck.

• i know what u mean if i am under stress buy actually think i am ok, my ecezma gets worse  to say "u are under stress"   ---- 

i do a meditation every lunch time (30m)  as way to keep stress back during a rough week. it is like my escape from everything

is your skin rash eczema ?  mine is related to sweat so if i am under stress ie working hard I sweat more (invisible amounts) which upsets my eczema. I then use steroid creams to push back the eczema.

But at times I do lose control of my eczema which is another reason I like Working From Home. I dont use the camera I just use audio in video calls when possible.

• I spent about a week working in a call centre. I just couldn't cope. It was horrific.

• Believe it or not I am actually good with the customers. 

I feel the stress is stealthy mentally I feel able to push forwards, but it causes physical issues it begins with skin rash barely noticeable then an escalated physical manifestation of body ache chest pains migraines so on. 

It feels like my body is rejecting to the stress I've learnt to ignore or bypass.

I am within a work capacity good with customers because I can manage the customers expectations. 

Colleagues are a different matter thou but when working from home colleagues pose little if no stress to me. 

• thats it, always smile even a tiny smile ( half smile ) , it changes the tone of your voice and changes your personality to more friendly ---- it works,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,its also good for u long term ( from zen meditation whereby u smile during meditation ---- this is why statues of the Buddha nearly always have a half smile ) 

• I have not heard of the smile rules, I feel compelled to aquate the smile rule to information I have retained, I.e when talking smile as it give positive voice tone to the listener and also releases endorphins when you smile, but I have learnt that my assumptions are almost alway wrong. 

• yes my first week in telesales was exhausting and stressful. I had a family to support so I had no choice but to keep going while I looked for other jobs. They never really train you well in such jobs ------ u do know the "Smile Rule" right if no say so and I explain it.

having said all that,,, I was in a room and could listen/copy those nearby so u are very isolated --- have u any contact with any other home-based users of your system because thats where u cam pick up tips really quickly ?

stick at you will pick up new skills like talking to people, imagining their lives what they look like etc  u get to see/hear the variety of humanity for better or worse Slight smile