The most excited I've ever been

Just musing on this (fairly short) list, all to do with anticipating (i.e. the few weeks before):

• As a teenager, getting my first 125cc motorbike to replace my 50cc one
  • Xmas as a child when I knew I was getting electronic components or radio equipment
  • Getting my first digital watch when I was 9, and ringing "8081" to set the time to the nearest second!
  • Coming home from school to my *stereo FM* radio alarm clock
  • Starting grammar school (it wasn't really, but used to be and pretended it still was)
  • Maths lessons and physics lessons at school - especially doubles periods!
  • My car license test as a teenager
  • My degree results as a young adult
  • Moving house in my 20s & 30s
  • My motorbike test as an adult
  • Buying motorbike related stuff
  • Buying radio equipment
  • Buying camera equipment
  • My clinical interview for ASD in Feb 2019
  • My ADOS test in a couple of weeks' time
  • Childhood happiness often seems to be the best - a combination of security, inability to imagine adult problems and the wonder of experiencing things for the first time.

I'm trying to reverse the trend of getting jaded as I get older - with some success recently. It's a shame that what comes easily as a child has to be fought for as an adult!

• I'm really glad you have had so many happy times Slight smile . It's nice to be able to look back on some of the best moments of your life.

One I remember is the bedtime stories my mum used to read to me. She would lay in the bed with me and tell me incredible stories, and provide sound effects and voices. I can remember cuddling her and slowly falling to sleep beside her as she read to me. I also used to go on lots of fun journeys with my dad, we often journeyed together and for me, those were the best days.

• Yeah, I think I'm lucky I'm not too frisky myself these days too! Less libido, less stress might be good in our case!

Several times I've had to conclude that it's better to be happy with delayed E than miserable & lifeless, so the SSRIs win :-)

You found a way to say when I couldn't! Delayed E! Was trying to put more eloquently, but my mind couldn't find a term! I'd rather have no sex than that, bloody hell, it is torture, for probably both partners when the SSRIs do their thing!

• You were lucky @Cloudy Mountains :-)

• It is bad that some people have to wait for 2/3 years in some places. The services seem to get less while the need for the service increases!

• Maths lessons and physics lessons at school - especially doubles periods

Nice!

Why can't I think of anything? I'm drawing a blank - nothing stands out for me. I always thought I was a happy-go-lucky, naive youngster without a care in the world with lots of exciting times... It's clear as an adult that's how I wanted to be perceived but I still had fun. I've been happy and I can list the things I've done but I cannot think about excitement?

(I'm not including becoming a father because that's an obvious one for me - maybe more associated with love and bloody worry!!)

• I told my counsellor a year or so ago about what I'd really *like* to happen sexually, and she said "I think you might have to move into a place of acceptance that that's not going to happen" which I believe translates as "You're 'avin a giraffe mate LOL!" :-) Having said that, for good or ill, I seem to have adjusted to the fact that my sex life is on the way out and less central in my life, and, actually, I think I'm OK with it.

Several times I've had to conclude that it's better to be happy with delayed E than miserable & lifeless, so the SSRIs win :-)

• No problem, seems like we were lucky!

• I got a James Bond watch once that played the music as a kid. It was just a cheap thing but I loved it. Still haven't moved past watches though. That watch was a gateway drug!

My love life is hardly on fire at the moment! SSRI drugs are awful. It's not easy to have an ending happy or otherwise there. Seems like it takes forever! I was on a drug recently that killed my libido, but not anymore.

Hopefully being happy, and more "happy endings" are around the corner for both of us!

• I waited 3 days for my official diagnosis, but was told on the day I was. The follow-up was just to speak about the ins and outs, and signposting. I've got to say the lady that did my diagnosis was pretty comprehensive. It seems I was very lucky reading others experiences.

• Good wishes for your ADOS IDWCC

• That's shocking having to wait that long.....

• Thanks for the reply, always good to know it's the same for other people

• OMG yes you've reminded me - getting my first digital watch as a child! I'm going to update my list............

Funnily enough I'm not that fussed about watches nowadays.

The evening thing would get me excited (in a different way somehow) but it's fading from my life nowadays (wife not interested and antidepressants taking their toll on excitability!)

• Some people get assessed really quickly, some don’t. One of my friends was referred for assessment by his GP last week, he’s already had the interim assessment by the Mental Health team and is due to start the ASD assessment in a couple of weeks time. I’ll go with him to the assessment to be supportive if his parents can’t make it. I had a 6 month wait myself and got a verbal diagnosis the same day, which is a short wait compared to the majority. It’s not uncommon for people to wait years for an assessment and the assessment process seems so drawn out in some places!

• I hope they can find evidence of RRBs, especially after you went to the effort of finding and completing the RRB test. Good luck Wink I hope you get the answer that you need, on the same day would be great too!

• Every Silver lining has its cloud.  Smiley

• From the time my GP suggested I was autistic, to my diagnosis was around the same time. Never asked for it either, never had an inkling.

• I get excited about things. Sometimes small stuff. Life's not always sunshine and roses, but I find happiness in things.

I like getting new equipment, plug-in's and the like. New watches always excite me. Got a 5000m waterproof watch, filled with oil recently. I'll never go that deep, but I like my watches to have something different. Wanted one of those since I found out they existed. The wait was exciting.

I look forward to winter, cool and dark. Agrees with my senses.

I look forward to seeing certain people too.

An evening with a "happy ending" is always nice to look forward to also.

• Thank you :-).

Yes they have all of the background and I got a report that I thought I'd have to wait until after the ADOS for, which says basically that I have sensory differences and impairments with social understanding, reciprocity, non-verbal communication, but there wasn't sufficient evidence for restricted and repetitive behaviours / insistence on sameness to give a positive dx.

Just a couple of weeks to wait now hopefully - the appointment letter says they might be able to tell me on the day this time.