Autism and dogs

Hi, I live on my own and have, with careful planning, decided to get a dog. She’s 1 1/2 years old. I’ve had her a week now and she is everything I could have wanted. I go out and talk to people in which I never did before. The problem being that I’m struggling to deal with the life style change and change to routine. I know it was part in parcel of having her but it still didn’t prepare me for the emotions it has brought with it.  I just wanted to ask if it gets easier or any tips on coping. Thank you in advance 

• Thank you very much for your positive words. She’s is a lovely little girl and I feel very guilty that I’m more stressed than happy but it’s very reassuring to hear everyone’s comments that it gets easier 

• It'll take some time for her to adjust, and not all dogs are the same. But because it is you and her, it will be fine after some weeks.

• Is she a high-energy dog? My older dognis and he starts pacing when he doesn't get his energy out - though that was mostly when he was young.

As for your dog the poor thing must be terribly traumatised...

• Hi Nicola it is so lovely to hear about your dog. I am sure as time goes on you will settle into a routine together. My last dog lived to 12.5 years old and his routine changed slightly as he got older and developed heart problems. When he was younger he was very lively but lovable although the postman wouldn't agree with this!

I adopted a six year old dog 12 weeks ago. As time has gone in she has got more settled. She can be quite demanding sometimes - whining and seeking attention for no obvious reason. She has been walked and fed, gone to the loo and I am not sure what she wants. If that coincides with me feeling tired or overwhelmed it can be difficult. I often ending up putting her on my lap where she sleeps for hours at a time!

On days like today when it is cold and rainy I like the fact that my dog makes me get up and go out. She is also a great talking point with other people. We have found some nice dog friendly cafes and pubs to go to. If I find it too much I can always go out for a short walk with her.

In my experience having a dog gets easier and easier, unless they get ill which is hard. I am sure you will have a lovely time together. A week is a very short time for her to settle down. It took my dog a few weeks to wag her tail and I was so thrilled when she finally did!

• Thank you so much that is really helpful. Because our dog (I won't use the 'B' word!) was kept in a crate and a yard she doesn't go to the door when she needs the loo she just starts whining and pacing. She also seems to do this when she is tired. 

• That would be helpful if mine warned me. I’m only just getting to grips with the diagnosis myself 

• Dogs are great for predicting meltdowns actually. Mine will show signs of slight stress before I feel I'm spinning out of control.

• Thank you so much. I’m writing one as we speak. I love my dog very much and just want to be the best I can be for her. Enjoying having her instead of being anxious 

• Pfffft, the three stars showed up for the female dog word...

• My routine was like this when I was by myself with one dog. That was a male and he needed to go out quite a lot. That was four times a day. And he is active, shepherd-mix.

I am very much time-driven and obsess a lot about it.

I'd get up at 7:00 and make sure I'd shower, eat and take him out at 8:00. Weekends maybe 8:30 at the latest.

I'd go for an hour and get back and feed him and work. Then I'd eat at 12, walk him from 12:30 to 13:00. Get back, work, take him back out at 17:00 till 17:30. Prepare food, eat, clean up, etc. Then at 21:30, latest 22:00 I'd take him for a small half hour.

But my *** can hold on much longer and is lazier. She can easily manage three walks (8:00 - 9:00, 14:00 - 14:30, 21:30).

• If you could suggest an example of a routine for me too that would be great. My dog is very nervous as she was kept for breeding before I adopted her. I think we would both benefit from a predictable routine. 

• Yes that would be great please! Thank you! 

• Dogs are great for your routine, it just takes some time to adjust your and the dog's schedule :-)

Are you helped if I give you an example of a routine?

• Before getting her I did everything at the same time each day and didn’t really go out much but obviously she has to be my routine but adapting is difficult to get my head around. I get very overwhelmed quickly 

• My dogs are lifesavers to me :-)

If you mean the schedule and routine of taking her out regularly, you'll get used to it. If you mean the dependancy, that is always somewhat harder. 

I don't like leaving ny dogs alone but it is inevitable.

Is that what you mean by the emotions?