Autism and dogs

Hi, I live on my own and have, with careful planning, decided to get a dog. She’s 1 1/2 years old. I’ve had her a week now and she is everything I could have wanted. I go out and talk to people in which I never did before. The problem being that I’m struggling to deal with the life style change and change to routine. I know it was part in parcel of having her but it still didn’t prepare me for the emotions it has brought with it.  I just wanted to ask if it gets easier or any tips on coping. Thank you in advance 

• Thank you. I’m trying my very best. I bet that was so lovely to see him wag. I think it shows more that she’s had such a horrible start in life but even after all that your hard work has paid off as she’s back to the dog she always should have been. Yes I’d agree too. Some days she’s hyper more and others she’s chilled and relaxed. Keeping me on my toes to say the least 

• This is so lovely Nicola - Bella has found herself in a really good home! It took several weeks for Izzy to wag her tail. I was so excited when she finally did it. To begin with she showed no interest in other dogs but now she will sniff them. She even wanted to play with a spaniel she met who was dashing about really excited! Every day brings something new when you are living with a dog. She is still a little nervous but nothing like she was before. 

• Yes I’d agree. Bless her that’s awful. I can’t believe the horrible things people can do to an animal. It’s so lovely to know she’s been able regain trust again. My Bella is a miniature Jack Russel. She to was from a dog home too. Now she trusts me she loves any of my visitors. She’s also nervous of men so just comes back to me for reassurance then has another try. She’s absolutely terrified of cars with the engine on so back alleys and parks are my way of making both of us more at ease. I just want her to be happy. 

• No problem Nicola! I'm just glad to hear that it's all a positive experience for you both!

I’m also trying going to the same places and she seems much more confident because she know where she’s going and started to be less scared

I think your energy is sort of in sync with your dog. She's getting more at ease and so are you. I used to walk my dog for miles after a while, he was from a dogs home, and was very, very scared. He'd been abused, he had a big burn on his nose, and was very thin when I got him. He was terrified of men, even me at first. He got over it all, he was a pretty energetic mix of breeds, so he used to end up walking me! I ended up walking miles some days.

What breed is she?

• Oh no I do walk her aswell. She gets two good walks everyday 

• I think any dogs needs to be walked, because it is better for them. But I see the benefit of peeing in your garden. 

You can easily teach her that by complimenting her if she pees. If she pees and you say 'pee' she'll know very fast what the idea is.

• Thank you so much. Is so very nice of you to say. Today marks a week and I do love her to bits. She’s all I ever wanted. I know it’s me struggling to adapt but after posting this yes I feel some what reasurred it won’t always be difficult. I’m also trying going to the same places and she seems much more confident because she know where she’s going and started to be less scared

• I take her out into the garden regularly so my fingers are crossed she gives in and goes back to going like she did last week. I can’t imagine the stress she’s been under the last month 

• I saw in my email that she came from Ireland, but can no longer find that answer here. And I couldn't get on the site anymore last night.

The flight must have streased her out, and she might still be recovering.

You can train her to do whatever she needs to do in the same spots.

• Things will get easier, and it sounds like you have a lot of feeling, and an air of responsiblity towards her. That is going to be motivating. If you ask me you seem to have done each other a lot of good in a week! A WEEK! I'd take pride in the fact that you've done so much in a week.

I had a dog, and walking him was great. If you take your dog to the same places regularly there seems to be a sense of community between dogwalkers, and their dogs, lol! I met a lot of very nice people on my dog walks who I still speak to when I see them.

I hope things carry on going good for you both!

• Lovely name Bella! We had a cat called Tigger for many years. He died when he was 14. I have always loved animals - they can be so affectionate and I find them easy to spend time with. 

• I read something like this the other day. I bet they can. Yes agree my cats when I were younger were amazing but haven’t done as much effect my little girl has. Mine is called Bella 

• My little dog has meltdowns when she gets overtired. I am beginning to wonder if animals can be autistic. Off to Google it now! A cat would be quieter but would not get me out of the house as much as my dog does. She is called Izzy (she came with that name). 

• She was the first few days though. How do I know if it’s a learnt behavior I’ve let her get into or a genuine thing she doesn’t like to do 

• I’m glad it’s not just me 

• I was really stressed out when I had my dog as a puppy. And an adolescent dog like yours can be tough :-)

• It does get easier. No worries. It is also normal, you just have to get used to each other and she doesn't know your rhythm yet. You both need to adjust :-)

• Aaaah, she's great!

Nice dog for playing catch and good for her to get rid of her energy. Also really good dogs to train.

And it is actually a good thing she doesn't do anything in your garden. She has recognised it as her territory.

• Yes, my dog is high energy. She is a Border Terrier so can run for miles. We found her by chance when we went to see a puppy. She hasn't been in a house much so gets easily startled.

I got tendonitis walking her too much so my husband has taken over while I recover. This is helping them to bond.

When we had TV repair men here yesterday she guarded me from the stairs!