Autism and dogs

Hi, I live on my own and have, with careful planning, decided to get a dog. She’s 1 1/2 years old. I’ve had her a week now and she is everything I could have wanted. I go out and talk to people in which I never did before. The problem being that I’m struggling to deal with the life style change and change to routine. I know it was part in parcel of having her but it still didn’t prepare me for the emotions it has brought with it.  I just wanted to ask if it gets easier or any tips on coping. Thank you in advance 

Parents Reply Children
  • She was the first few days though. How do I know if it’s a learnt behavior I’ve let her get into or a genuine thing she doesn’t like to do 

• Aaaah, she's great!

Nice dog for playing catch and good for her to get rid of her energy. Also really good dogs to train.

And it is actually a good thing she doesn't do anything in your garden. She has recognised it as her territory.

• Yes, my dog is high energy. She is a Border Terrier so can run for miles. We found her by chance when we went to see a puppy. She hasn't been in a house much so gets easily startled.

I got tendonitis walking her too much so my husband has taken over while I recover. This is helping them to bond.

When we had TV repair men here yesterday she guarded me from the stairs!