Did anything good happen today? September 2018

Did something good happen today?

Please share it with us no matter how big or small it may be. 

Sometimes reading about your good things will help someone who is feeling bad and sometimes when you are feeling bad it might help to remember that a few days ago something good happened.

• I got a psychologist (who is apparently an expert in the matter) to agree that I don’t in fact have EUPD, as has been vehemently asserted to me by mental health ‘professionals’ of late!

• Wonderful! I love my little encounters with foxes and hedgehogs, and there are a couple of local spots where the foxes often have their dens, so I get to watch the cubs playing every once in a while at the right time of year. The local deer are getting pretty bold, too, I see them quite often now on the old railway line where I like to walk.

• Today I encountered this Furry Fellow/Lady whilst out "shopping"...

• Bought my first Lego for something like 30 years and have had a fantastic few hours being a twelve year old again! I was pleasantly surprised how generous the number of bricks was in a basic Technic kit for a tenner, though the 21st century Technic style of Lego is going to take a bit of getting used to (there were only two traditional brick-shaped bricks in the kit that I bought - Technic has changed a lot while I was away!)

Many thanks to Plastic. My impulse to buy a kit has been building every time I walk past the toy section ever since we chatted about your love of Lego back when you joined the forum.

If I'm a little less chatty than usual, it's because I've been getting very distracted by driving the little tipper-truck I made around the desk while I've been browsing the forum this evening (I may have to disappear in a while to improve its turning circle, though, as I'm not happy with the 17-point turns required to turn around in the available space on the desk!)

• ...Me again (!). And it is quiet again, sort of...

I was wondering if I should start a new Thread, unless someone else dares to first - like, someone who is actually here during the DAY, unlike myself...(?)

I do hope that Miss Song is well, though. I also miss Spotty, Oktanol, Endymion, and Cassandro... Misfit began a Thread yesterday and BlueRay posted awhile back. I also have trouble remembering all of the Threads to which I post, nowadays, so I keep the number low...

(...This is me, posting to myself, to again re-highlight this Thread - but, hey, I am not good at chat, so DC stop chatting at me (!) ) 

Good Fortune to anyone reading, anyway...!

• Finally was in the state of mind to do anything apart from housework and trying to keep my senses from the brink of overload. Nice dark day and cold. I played the new Forza Horizon game all day. Within a few hours I had won almost all the Group B Rally cars on the game. So I spent the day driving a 1985 Lancia Delta S4. I'll never be able to drive, so making do with that wasn't so bad. Sometimes taking pleasure in the small things is the best thing to do. Nice quiet day indulging in something I like.

• I agree it's a good idea.

If a new October thread starts I will report on tomorrow's day.  I am due to attend a 3 hour workshop on managing stress.

• (...it is October now. "And it is quiet... too quiet..." (!)

If I began a new Thread like this myself, I would be used to getting no replies, or it being 'forgotten'. And also to posting "silliness" at times. If no-one else does it, I might do it ( as if that were some kind of warning (!) ). I simply thought that this kind of Thread  was a great idea, and then it invited Random Chat which was another thing lost for a while upon this Forum. However, I might sign off now...)

Thanks, Miss Song, and stay well.

• ...It shall be October in less than Half-An-Hour, right? (& No more oppressive heat)... but it would be "good" to get a new Thread like this one. The "novelty" might seem to have worn off, but it was an interesting thing to see changes through Months. I also think that such a Thread would be very busy in December (25th)...?

• I think animals that hibernate have the right idea! I’ve bought a light box as I’m a SAD person too. Don’t know if it will make any difference yet. Yes the BP tortoise had it easy. Bears in the wild must get really cold! 

• Thanks, Alice. Yes, a bit of sun certainly does wonders for my mood. I think part of the rut is anticipation of my usual winter Seasonal Affective Disorder. It won't be long before I just want to be placed in a hay-box in a cupboard and left to hibernate for a few months (I used to be so jealous of the Blue Peter tortoise when I was a kid!)

• At least it’s sunny. That helps.Hope the next rut is miles away! 

• Had a bath, changed my bedding, and got my shopping done. Not particularly exciting "good happenings", but I've been having one of my regular wallowings in not looking after my hygiene and chores properly and eating only snack foods. I need to get on top of things for my rapidly approaching Work Capability Assessment and finding the support that I'll need with it, so it's good to feel that I've hauled myself out of the rut, at least a little bit.

• Went to Harry Potter near Watford today - had a great time - nice lunch - bought a T-shirt. Lovely weather for it.

• Sounds all good Tom. You are obviously a valued support worker. Hope things continue to be better for you. I’ve never been in a cat cafe. Sounds like my cup of tea! 

• Thanks DC and Trogluddite,

The only downside is... this woman has a very close friend there who has always been friendly with me before.  Yesterday, she was decidedly cooler, and seemingly disinterested in me... so clearly they've been talking.  Another staff member, who gets on closely with me and dislikes both of them, told me they'll make things very hard for me if both of them take an aversion.  I'll deal with that if it happens, though.  I'm well-respected otherwise.

• That's great to hear, Tom, especially after the rough few weeks you've had.

I was so chuffed I left my coat there and had to go back for it.

The unexpected shock of having a good day for a change does that to me too! Grinning

• A VERY "good" Day/thing, there, Sir, Thank You from myself at least for Posting that, there, here.

• I returned to work today, full of dread, following 3 weeks off: 2 weeks of stressful annual leave followed by a week of sickness.

First person I saw was another young supporter worker whose face lit up when she saw me.

'I've been so excited because I knew you were coming back today!' she said.  That lifted my step a bit!

Then, this morning, I and a couple of other staff members took some of the service users to a 'cat cafe' run by a local cat rescue centre.  A cafe... with cats everywhere.  Somehow, they do it in compliance with food hygiene regulations!  It was great.  They loved it.  I sat with a tiny black kitten asleep on my lap for most of the time.  And the tea was good, too.

Then, this afternoon, I took a couple of other guys trampolining.

I had to leave work early then to go to my doctor's surgery for my five-yearly 'over 40' health check-up.  Everything was good.  Cholesterol fine.  Blood pressure normal.  BMI healthy.  Blood sugar fine.  Kidney and liver function fine.  The only downside was when I mentioned the alcohol - and I was honest.  But she said 'At least you realise you're drinking to harmful levels, and you're trying to do something about it.  Apart from that, the calculation shows your heart age as a year younger than your actual age.  Overall, you're a tall, lean, fit and healthy man who just needs to keep tabs on his drinking.'

I was so chuffed I left my coat there and had to go back for it.

So... a day I was dreading.  And it was the best day for ages! :)

...and I didn't have to work with the narc, either!