Fascination With Lights

Hello,

My name is Tom and I have Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I currently study Experimental Film Production at Staffordshire University.

I am doing a short film about the beauty of lights and how mesmerizing they are. This is due to my personal obsession with lights, which with some research I see I am not alone in the Autism Community.

I was wondering if people have the same obsession / fascination as me, and if they have a particular favourite light?

Any answer could help me shape my research and how my film turns out in the end.

Thank you for your time,

Tom

• This thread is old but a few recent discussion. Hope this one is ok to post on.

I like lights. I have the Blss Lights stars in blue that I use sometimes at night.

I have been to the WOW Museum room for illusions in Zurich, Switzerland, They have multi-sensory rooms there.

Within the next month, I hope to go the  Dopamine Experience in South Kensighton London as a birthday treat to see the multi-sensory rooms.

• I work in lighting for concerts and touring and also love all things lighting. My favourite is programming time as I often stay with the LD to either help (make tea/coffee mainly) or just watch them make awesome patterns with different colours. It's a huge perk of the job!

• Yes,  I do colours flashing, lasers, I like watching On YouTube videos with lasers shows, etc.

• Sorry ! I've just looked it up. It's 'warm white light'

• YES !! I love the warm, glow of ... let's see if I have this right ' Candle light ' bulbs ? I think they're called . I like fairy lights and some Christmas lights . Sometimes walking past homes you'll see this beautiful, warm glow on the walls from lamps . ' The Godfather part 2 ' had some amazing lighting . I enjoy touching lights too or touching the glow from the light . I think it will feel warm but that's in my head 

• When I was a child I was obsessed with lighting shops - in particular lava lamps.

• I work with Movie Lighting now - and we still use a lot of very old gear, some manufactured in the 60s.
    It's quite sought after. I have some bits of my own - but it's all battered from years of being bashed about at locations!

• Hi Tom

Going to watch your film shortly.

Fascination with light..... yes that's me all over!

I was lucky enough to leave school and serve and apprenticeship at a Rep Theatre, working in Lighting.
    Since leaving the theatre - many moons ago went to work in Television and now mainly Films/Adverts/Music Videos.

With me, it's always been the case - even when I could just walk - going into large stores - Woolworths / Timothy Whites (yes - THAT long ago) I would often vanish, only ot be found in the section with the lights.
    Still today, I feel drawn to the lighting section in Ikea or B&Q - despite spending most of my working life carting such equipment around film sets and locations.

When not doing TV/Fim work - I do a little at odd work behind the lighting desk at music festivals - which is fun, and it's great when you are left to your own devices to just muck about with colours and lights.

My youngest son is ASD, and we have geared his bedroom up in colour changing LED lights....

• Your collection sounds amazing! My fascination isn't that sophisticated but you've certainly given me some ideas for my house!

I've always been entertained by the colours formed by squinting at the sun and 'watching' the patterns on the inside of my closed eyelids. My motto in life was there's no such thing as too many fairy lights. (I've now added a caveat for environmental considerations so it's not quite as 'snappy').

Loved the film made by the original poster! 

• yes yes yes! I was just wondering if this was an ASD thing as I obsessively purchase retro MCM TV lamps & swag lights on ebay... I'm 34, nonbinary, assigned female at birth, and I am also a neon glass bender (extremely amateur). My house is FILLED TO THE BRIM with vintage lamps, neon signs, hanging lights, and old ceramic lights. I don't know what it is but they make me so incredibly happy. I am always complimented on my ability to make a space very warm and inviting -- lighting plays a huge role in that. 

• When I was 12 years old, I got into the bathtub in my house to take a bath and I was so amazed and fascinated by the lights on the ceiling in the bathroom that the water covered me and I didn't realize it, thanks to the arrival of my mother who took me out of the water.

• When I was 12 years old, I got into the bathtub in my house to take a bath and I was so amazed and fascinated by the lights on the ceiling in the bathroom that the water covered me and I didn't realize it, thanks to the arrival of my mother who took me out of the water.

• Hey Tom, I am also on the spectrum, and mine are blue and green lights particularly flashing blue and green lights. I learned a couple years ago myself that that is one of the things with autism that I did not know. I just thought I was weird for liking flashing lights. Lol

• my bedroom has got loads of stuff that gives off glows eg lavalamps and i love the effect it puts on my bedroom wall. i also have that thing which puts electricity in the glass ball and you touch it and it reacts to your touch it just looks so cool to me

• Hi dobbies garden centres have a very good selection. I dont know if they are just a chain of shops in scotland but they might have an internet site. Also try B&Q there are some about this year that are bare branches with glowing bulbs on the end.

• Count me in on the light love. I love those fibre optic christmas trees you could buy a few years ago that alternated lots of different colours. Can I buy one now? Nowhere sells them. I loved the bare ones that were just branches with the tips that glowed.  

• Cheers for your kind words ChaosCupcake when I was young (and even now) I enjoy controlling lights, hope your son enjoyed the video.

Straws, that sounds like a good life with the amount of lights he has, I am jealous and  hope he enjoyed the film.

• my son who is 5 loves lights, particularly (although obviously well supervised!) candles and the way they flicker, also light he has control over such a switches and torches.

Just had a look myself and I will show him your film when he gets in from school later :)

• My autistic brother loves lights.  He has to have all the overhead and side lights on in the house all the time, even if it is sunny outside.  He also really likes the light from our disco balls and light projector. 

I enjoyed your video.  I will have to show it to my brother if I get the opportunity.

• I've been doing stage lighting at my local theatre.

The PLASA show exhibition has a lot of lights etc

my favourite would have to be one of the moving heads by Martin Entertainment