Fascination With Lights

Hello,

My name is Tom and I have Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I currently study Experimental Film Production at Staffordshire University.

I am doing a short film about the beauty of lights and how mesmerizing they are. This is due to my personal obsession with lights, which with some research I see I am not alone in the Autism Community.

I was wondering if people have the same obsession / fascination as me, and if they have a particular favourite light?

Any answer could help me shape my research and how my film turns out in the end.

Thank you for your time,

Tom

Parents
  • yes yes yes! I was just wondering if this was an ASD thing as I obsessively purchase retro MCM TV lamps & swag lights on ebay... I'm 34, nonbinary, assigned female at birth, and I am also a neon glass bender (extremely amateur). My house is FILLED TO THE BRIM with vintage lamps, neon signs, hanging lights, and old ceramic lights. I don't know what it is but they make me so incredibly happy. I am always complimented on my ability to make a space very warm and inviting -- lighting plays a huge role in that. 

• yes yes yes! I was just wondering if this was an ASD thing as I obsessively purchase retro MCM TV lamps & swag lights on ebay... I'm 34, nonbinary, assigned female at birth, and I am also a neon glass bender (extremely amateur). My house is FILLED TO THE BRIM with vintage lamps, neon signs, hanging lights, and old ceramic lights. I don't know what it is but they make me so incredibly happy. I am always complimented on my ability to make a space very warm and inviting -- lighting plays a huge role in that. 

Children
  • I work with Movie Lighting now - and we still use a lot of very old gear, some manufactured in the 60s.
    It's quite sought after. I have some bits of my own - but it's all battered from years of being bashed about at locations!

• Your collection sounds amazing! My fascination isn't that sophisticated but you've certainly given me some ideas for my house!

I've always been entertained by the colours formed by squinting at the sun and 'watching' the patterns on the inside of my closed eyelids. My motto in life was there's no such thing as too many fairy lights. (I've now added a caveat for environmental considerations so it's not quite as 'snappy').

Loved the film made by the original poster!