To mask or not to mask for assessment

Hi.

I have done hours and hours or research on autism in adult females and 100% sure I have it. 

I have an official nhs scotland test in 2 weeks time and absolutely terrified about it.

I dont know whether I should try (although I really do struggle) to unmask for the assessment 

Or just act as I do around other strangers and put on one of my many masks that allow me to function somewhat in the real world, for instance my job is a nurse and I have got that mask down to a T! 

Any advise or any more detailed information about what the initial assessment entails would be amazing

Thanks in advance.

• Hi! I had my assessment earlier this year, and did the classic (?) 1000 hours of research of what to do, what to expect, how to act etc.

- this is YOUR assessment. They are professionals, dedicating time to you, non judgemental, and the only way you get a genuine outcome for yourself is by being genuine

- take up as much space as you need. Describe the hell about what you’re thinking, even if it’s 5 things at once. If you can’t do something you’re asked to do, try and explain why. Again, there’s no judgement in the room

- if you’re really used to masking (which can make the questions seem very hard to answer) answer each one in two parts - what you would normally do in that situation (masking/ learned etc) and what you would prefer/ instinctively do

• This is the one time that 200 percent you can and do need to be yourself.

I made sure they understood the  extent that I mask too, When asked what I'd do in a certain situation, I explained when that was me masking, for example when asked "if you were invited to a social event what would you do?" I'd explain that "I'd want to hide, but I know I should do xyz so do that instead and struggle through the anxiety". 

Good luck, I hope it all goes ok!

• just be your usual self around them, if your usual self is a mask tell them that. if you feel uncomfortable to do tell them that and explain why, such as your ashamed of it or think its cringe. it all makes it understandable more to them and makes it easier for them to get it right.

• Make sure that you write down on the preliminary documents that you mask heavily, also mention it during the assessment. Expecting that the assessors will realise that you are masking is probably unrealistic. I make eye contact, but I made sure that I told my assessor that I did it entirely consciously, not unconsciously in the allistic manner. 

Also you will be anxious, and more likely to mask heavily because of this, you will probably be relatively unable to unmask in such a situation.

• As much as you can just try to be yourself. 

• Just be your honest self. If they are experienced assessors they will see through the masking in some of the parts of the test anyway.

When I got my assessment, they said at the first appointment what it would involve. 3 x 1h interviews to gather background information in specific areas, an interview with someone who knows you well, and a 1h in person interactive and observational tests where you have to do a couple of things, nothing tricky, to see how you process information. I don't know if it is standard, as I only had this one set of assessments. According to the report that went to the GP they used ADOS-2 and ADI-R to determine I meet the diagnostic criteria for ICD-11 ASD. You can look these up to find out more information.

• No mask! Just No. Otherwise you are going in present your self in disguise to a person who does not know you.

They will consider the mask as being the person under it, not knowing any better. No mask.