To mask or not to mask for assessment

Hi.

I have done hours and hours or research on autism in adult females and 100% sure I have it. 

I have an official nhs scotland test in 2 weeks time and absolutely terrified about it.

I dont know whether I should try (although I really do struggle) to unmask for the assessment 

Or just act as I do around other strangers and put on one of my many masks that allow me to function somewhat in the real world, for instance my job is a nurse and I have got that mask down to a T! 

Any advise or any more detailed information about what the initial assessment entails would be amazing

Thanks in advance.

Parents
  • Just be your honest self. If they are experienced assessors they will see through the masking in some of the parts of the test anyway.

When I got my assessment, they said at the first appointment what it would involve. 3 x 1h interviews to gather background information in specific areas, an interview with someone who knows you well, and a 1h in person interactive and observational tests where you have to do a couple of things, nothing tricky, to see how you process information. I don't know if it is standard, as I only had this one set of assessments. According to the report that went to the GP they used ADOS-2 and ADI-R to determine I meet the diagnostic criteria for ICD-11 ASD. You can look these up to find out more information.

• Just be your honest self. If they are experienced assessors they will see through the masking in some of the parts of the test anyway.

When I got my assessment, they said at the first appointment what it would involve. 3 x 1h interviews to gather background information in specific areas, an interview with someone who knows you well, and a 1h in person interactive and observational tests where you have to do a couple of things, nothing tricky, to see how you process information. I don't know if it is standard, as I only had this one set of assessments. According to the report that went to the GP they used ADOS-2 and ADI-R to determine I meet the diagnostic criteria for ICD-11 ASD. You can look these up to find out more information.

Children
No Data