Adult meltdown

Good morning, 

I am new here. 

I am 42 and on route to be assessed. I believe I have just realised for the very first time in my life that I had a meltdown yesterday. I have had that feeling of being lost and sucked in my emotions many times for various reasons but was never able to give it a name.

Yesterday I was overwhelmed by some information that was given to me and I felt like being in a whirlpool of emotions I could not recognise. I could not work properly, I was in autopilot mode as I had to look after my boys and my dear friend who was here with her children for a playdate. All I wanted to do was disappear and I could not control what I was saying or how much I was saying. It all passed once I managed to calm down but it took lots of talking and some tears to regain some inner peace. All that was left was me feeling tired and drained.

Now, I wonder if that is what a meltdown could be? I know we are all different and that I do not need to be autistic to feel overwhelmed but maybe that could explain the way I feel sometimes?!

Apologies if some that I have written doesn't make sense. English is not my first language. 

Thank you for your help. 

Nana

• For me at work it’s the toilet. Sometimes smelly but still ok

• I often have a meltdown without even knowing why, because just have that horrible feeling of built up energy inside. Does not make any sense to me at all. My coping mechanism is the same as yours… dark and quiet, this is usually my garage (safe space for me). 

• Yes it’s hard to control. As a teenager I used to have horrible meltdowns (fully out of control) if something was missing in my belongings. My room was spotless and I used to check everyday once if everything is on its place. If something was missing, there was meltdown even if I didn’t need the item at that time. Only recently I realised these reactions were meltdowns and related to autism as I also found other autistic people having very similar experience. Yesterday it was extremely hard for me to control myself at work. I got a task which I usually like - stock merchandising in the store. But yesterday I was sent to an area where some stupid device with a screen flashed and played some ads. All the time the same thing. I swear I wanted to grab a hammer and break it. I was so close to explode I couldn’t concentrate on anything because this sound and flashing banners made it impossible to concentrate and gave me headache. To calm down I started hitting my head with fist. It worked. But I had to make sure that there are no customers or colleagues around. For sure they would think that I’m crazy. Yeah, this little device made me almost crazy. It also works for me to just press my forehead and move my head on sides. Now, when I know why I have such reactions, it’s easier for me to calm down. I repeat myself “it’s just me, my reaction”. I also try to avoid the trigger, whenever possible. Not always of course. But I stopped checking on my belongings if they are there. The only things that currently cause me huge stress if they are missing  are ear plugs and sunglasses. I also couldn’t calm down and it was huge flood of emotions at the moment, when I realised that the description of Asperger syndrome is a description of me and my life. I had to throw myself a high pressure shower to calm down. I also like to cover myself fully with a thick blanket. 

• Hi, I’m new on here and seen this message about meltdowns. It also takes me some time to feel back on an even keel, and I think, like you, that understanding what’s going on helps me a bit more to cope with it, even though it’s awful.
    I try to do things that settle me as much as possible while the feeling is going on too, and both understanding what’s going on and finding things that do that have been a game changer for me. I definitely need isolation and darkness to recover, so liked your description! 
    It’s already a relief to come across others who speak in a language that mirrors some of my experiences.

• Hi I’m new on here and trying to just settle in and I saw this post and your message. I am also in burnout and have been for some time and I find the smallest things currently cause meltdown or shutdown. And I can’t manage much information at the mo so totally get what the original post writer said.

Bath and no phone is something I also find really helpful! I also have a garden chair that swings and it helps to make the feeling in my body less overwhelming when I experience overload.

I guess I just wanted to say that I hear you and want to acknowledge what you’re going through. If it’s anything like mine, people around just have no idea what it is like.

And thanks for the reminder that it’s not forever! I’m also learning to prioritise looking after myself.

• Meltdowns are so scary, and it takes me awhile to feel "right" again. I usually only feel better once I go to be and wake up again the next morning. I prefer to be isolated and in a small, dark, safe place while I'm experiencing a meltdown. Music sometimes helps. It helps if my cat or dog is their to keep me company, and sometimes it's okay for my husband to be there as well (as long as he is quiet). Honestly, the thing that helped the most is simply understanding what is going on (I'm having a meltdown) and why (because I'm autistic). Once I understood and accepted those two things, meltdowns got less scary and more bearable. 

• Good morning, this happens to me daily at the moment as I’m suffering severe burnout and have since about last November. I find daily that when my thoughts get too much I like to have a bath with no phone and just sit in quiet for a couple of hours, it’s hard at the moment because of the burnout most probably the longest I’ve ever gone but with everything I have going on at home I have understood this won’t be forever and need to look after myself more than ever. Whatever you do needs to be for you, care for yourself and take time to come back down

• Hi, I’m Miles, I’m new to this forum. When I get outbursts, I also try music, and Wordsearch magazines to calm me down. I try to distract myself by listening to 70’s, and 80’s contemporary pop. 

• Hello

My name is Rosy

Welcome to the forum. Sometimes I have a meltdown especially during the summer months. Also when things get too much for me. 

In the end calm down by listening to my iPod and do a puzzle book. 

Yesterday I nearly fell over and nobody helped me as usual. The same foot that I'd nearly broke a few years ago.