Adult meltdown

Good morning, 

I am new here. 

I am 42 and on route to be assessed. I believe I have just realised for the very first time in my life that I had a meltdown yesterday. I have had that feeling of being lost and sucked in my emotions many times for various reasons but was never able to give it a name.

Yesterday I was overwhelmed by some information that was given to me and I felt like being in a whirlpool of emotions I could not recognise. I could not work properly, I was in autopilot mode as I had to look after my boys and my dear friend who was here with her children for a playdate. All I wanted to do was disappear and I could not control what I was saying or how much I was saying. It all passed once I managed to calm down but it took lots of talking and some tears to regain some inner peace. All that was left was me feeling tired and drained.

Now, I wonder if that is what a meltdown could be? I know we are all different and that I do not need to be autistic to feel overwhelmed but maybe that could explain the way I feel sometimes?!

Apologies if some that I have written doesn't make sense. English is not my first language. 

Thank you for your help. 

Nana

Parents
  • Good morning, this happens to me daily at the moment as I’m suffering severe burnout and have since about last November. I find daily that when my thoughts get too much I like to have a bath with no phone and just sit in quiet for a couple of hours, it’s hard at the moment because of the burnout most probably the longest I’ve ever gone but with everything I have going on at home I have understood this won’t be forever and need to look after myself more than ever. Whatever you do needs to be for you, care for yourself and take time to come back down

• Good morning, this happens to me daily at the moment as I’m suffering severe burnout and have since about last November. I find daily that when my thoughts get too much I like to have a bath with no phone and just sit in quiet for a couple of hours, it’s hard at the moment because of the burnout most probably the longest I’ve ever gone but with everything I have going on at home I have understood this won’t be forever and need to look after myself more than ever. Whatever you do needs to be for you, care for yourself and take time to come back down

Children
  • Hi I’m new on here and trying to just settle in and I saw this post and your message. I am also in burnout and have been for some time and I find the smallest things currently cause meltdown or shutdown. And I can’t manage much information at the mo so totally get what the original post writer said.

Bath and no phone is something I also find really helpful! I also have a garden chair that swings and it helps to make the feeling in my body less overwhelming when I experience overload.

I guess I just wanted to say that I hear you and want to acknowledge what you’re going through. If it’s anything like mine, people around just have no idea what it is like.

And thanks for the reminder that it’s not forever! I’m also learning to prioritise looking after myself.