Defiant behaviour ruining our family

Our 9 year old daughter is pre diagnosis for ASD. She is bright and can be incredibly caring but she is having regular moments of complete defiance. She becomes spiteful, cruel and ignores every request for her to follow even basic instructions. We try speaking calmly to her, explaining the reasons we need her to do as she is told, becoming firm and giving clear boundaries and consequences but she ignores it all and refuses to do as she is asked. This can go on for hours and it results in me and husband getting distressed with each other, neglecting our other child and it spirals out of control. I have PTSD and GAD and I find myself wanting to run away rather than face her. She says she doesn't like the person she becomes in those occasions but she can't get out. I sympathize but in those moments she shows no empathy or care for her actions and seems lost. I'm terrified this will tear us all apart. She seems so angry all the time and despite all our efforts to find her support and a way to vent it just comes back as this nasty defiant child who seems to hate us and will do the opposite of everything we ask. She is also starting puberty so that's added a new dimension to. I don't know what to do. Thank you for reading. 

Parents
  • Thank you to those who responded and asked for examples. A typical example is bedtime. We have a routine that has been adapted as the children grew and always was very successful until three years ago it is including calming activities etc but she regularly seems to begin to resist the routine (specifically shower and teeth brushing which she hates) she refuses to do something she is calm initially just saying no I won't be doing that. Sometimes we say that's ok if she has washed recently or if she becomes angry and aggressive we calmly tell her it's ok we can do it in the morning instead. This escalates to where we have given privacy to get ready with clear time to complete getting changed. However she is will get distracted and if we leave she will go to to her brother's room and start taking things from his room and causing him to get upset with her asking her to leave and give things back. We return and ask her to leave his room she tells us she isn't in his room whilst in his room. She begins to get angry shouting at us that I'm not going to bed you can't make me. We continue to calmly encourage her to get changed using distraction to help which sometimes does IE discussing what's happened today. If it doesn't work she starts throwing things around her room and at us. We ask if she would like space to be on her own she screams yes then tells us we always just leave her. We sit outside her room whilst we hear her removing things from under her bed and under she goes. When it's quiet I go in and lay next to her bed asking her is she is ok and what she would find helpful. We convince her to come out then just as she seems to calm she jumps up and runs under her desk with a notepad to say she is writing a story or a book to read. We tell her she can do this for a couple of minutes then she needs to go to bed. She nods and becomes mute choosing to write instead. We sit outside or go downstairs. Returning as promised she seems a different person chatting happily like nothing happened about her story. We think success and get her into bed. Song and story back into routine. We go downstairs. She appears a few minutes later laying on the floor at our feet. We ask her to return to bed as it's now Very late. She ignores us and refuses to speak writing things instead whilst screeching like an animal at us. At this point we either calmly return to the same type of calmly trying to encourage her or we get cross and say that's enough and carry her to bed whilst she screeches. Sometimes our change into getting cross pulls her out and she breaks down sobbing that she hates herself and wants to run away other times she rises up to match us. Eventually she tires herself out one way or the other. 

• Thank you to those who responded and asked for examples. A typical example is bedtime. We have a routine that has been adapted as the children grew and always was very successful until three years ago it is including calming activities etc but she regularly seems to begin to resist the routine (specifically shower and teeth brushing which she hates) she refuses to do something she is calm initially just saying no I won't be doing that. Sometimes we say that's ok if she has washed recently or if she becomes angry and aggressive we calmly tell her it's ok we can do it in the morning instead. This escalates to where we have given privacy to get ready with clear time to complete getting changed. However she is will get distracted and if we leave she will go to to her brother's room and start taking things from his room and causing him to get upset with her asking her to leave and give things back. We return and ask her to leave his room she tells us she isn't in his room whilst in his room. She begins to get angry shouting at us that I'm not going to bed you can't make me. We continue to calmly encourage her to get changed using distraction to help which sometimes does IE discussing what's happened today. If it doesn't work she starts throwing things around her room and at us. We ask if she would like space to be on her own she screams yes then tells us we always just leave her. We sit outside her room whilst we hear her removing things from under her bed and under she goes. When it's quiet I go in and lay next to her bed asking her is she is ok and what she would find helpful. We convince her to come out then just as she seems to calm she jumps up and runs under her desk with a notepad to say she is writing a story or a book to read. We tell her she can do this for a couple of minutes then she needs to go to bed. She nods and becomes mute choosing to write instead. We sit outside or go downstairs. Returning as promised she seems a different person chatting happily like nothing happened about her story. We think success and get her into bed. Song and story back into routine. We go downstairs. She appears a few minutes later laying on the floor at our feet. We ask her to return to bed as it's now Very late. She ignores us and refuses to speak writing things instead whilst screeching like an animal at us. At this point we either calmly return to the same type of calmly trying to encourage her or we get cross and say that's enough and carry her to bed whilst she screeches. Sometimes our change into getting cross pulls her out and she breaks down sobbing that she hates herself and wants to run away other times she rises up to match us. Eventually she tires herself out one way or the other. 

Children
  • My son usualy shows bad behaviour when he is overwhelmed. For my son to have peacefully life and not get overwhelmed I have no one round the house and we moved to very quite location and he by his own choice doesn't go out ..sad but there it is..this way he rarely gets overwhelmed,  so I'm thinking  your child is most likely getting overwhelmed by soo many things as you likely have normal household etc but you have to understand she probably getting overwhlemd by just about everything and is not able to deal with it at all.Im fortunate in that it's just me and.my son and I can devote myself to him..because  I love him, but I know that in an ideal world you could have a situation where she's not overwhelmed but instead you'll just have to try to do what you can..ask her what things are hard for her ie sounds smells colours etc..list is endless. Also keep these conversations s brief and  wait even sometimes days to get an answer as they can't always process it straight away

• She’s hit puberty right? So she’s adapting to a more typical teenage sleep cycle. Awake and alert in the evenings tired in the mornings. Part of the combat around bathing etc might be that it’s a precursor to bed. You can’t expect her to lay in bed her mind going a million miles a minute and not feel frustrated. Or drag her out of bed in the morning when her mind is still sluggish and not expect her to feel grumpy. Maybe it’s time for a new bedtime.

• Even before I got to the part where she yells that you always just leave her, I could sense that this is a big part of the problem. Once this problem, or conflict has been created, she will then require (like any grown adult) resolution as now internally she's not longer calm. In the creative arts, we stress journal writing before bed to help perform a necessary calming task that one might perform in a therapists office: expelling the internal conflicts so they can be resolved. 

She feels abandoned. Now, this isn't your fault, as leaving a (typical) child to do a thing themselves is a way of teaching or allowing a sense of agency. With Autistic and ADHD children, we afford agency when they finally 'take the reins and ask us to leave'. OR we afford agency with Creative tasks. Autistic and ADHD children have a few things in common at their core - executive function difficulty (this can be related to their internal 'chaotic' minds, a sense of everything-all-at-once from a difficulty filtering out unwanted signals/sensory sources) and a need to feel connected (not unique, not alone, not marginalised, as they are overwhelmingly aware of how different they are from everyone else. This is daunting for a child).

Teeth brushing, getting changed, ritualistic tasks we perform as part of our modern society are all things better done together. In an anthropological setting, humans didn't do these things. Most of us didn't read 200 years ago, as a species our innate selves lived very different lives. Executive Function wasn't required - we moved with nature, not against it (to some degree).

Right now there seems to be this moment of impact that she responds to - leaving her to an overwhelming task alone. And internally, this severs her ability to trust you care about her overall well-being. Which then compounds the task as if she's been severed from the whole collective, left to 'do' life in isolation. It has an emotional impact and sets in motion a whole evening of unnecessary added problems. As a parent, it took me a long time to learn to say "how can I help" or "help me understand how I'm hurting you". The bigger problem is, they have a limited command of language and if they're already in survival mode, emotional regulation is now gone. 

Here's what I'd suggest. Put a little extra effort in for these night time 'tasks' by turning them into a Team Effort. This may sound a bit much, but think of it this way - spending 20 minutes with her in these ritualistic routines will save an entire evening of unnecessary heartbreak (and she won't need to pay a therapist when she's 30 to try and work out why she felt abandoned).  Perform brushing teeth as team work: she holds the toothbrush & you apply the paste (or reverse if this seems more fun). Give her the option between 2 PJs if applicable and have her hand clothes to her like 2 friends in a clothing shop. Bring a cup of tea with, perform these together as if you're just 'hanging out'. Read her the story and sing the songs while in the shower or bath. 

The first Problem in a Horror film is always severed communication. The audience knows that only misfortune will follow. Do whatever is necessary to stay connected. Erich Fromm talks of Isolation as being the entry point to all addiction, to anything in the human heart which goes wrong, to being the root cause of almost anything which goes wrong. Create a sense of connectedness and your children will feel a sense of being anchored, the consequence is they'll trust you, and you'll find you won't ever need to make demands or 'discipline' them. 

• When I was a child a weekly bath was plenty enough. I hated showers, especially if the water goes over the head, I still hate that, no way could I use one of those big above the head showers like rain, I can only use one where the head can be lowered to chest height for washing the body, then raised a little to do the hair from behind. Never on the face! That can be washed separately.

My weekly bath was a pleasant gentle experience as my Mum would read to me. I guess once i did get too old for that at some point, possibly puberty. But I wouldn't have wanted it more than once a week. I still do not have a daily shower, I could not handle that. Nobody has told me I stink! I use deodorant and bits can be cleaned at the sink between shower/bath time!

Teeth cleaning can also be an issue for us hypersensitives. I cannot bear frothy toothpaste, sensodyne is usually not too bad. Some of us need mild tasting ones, I love strong fresh mint but some of us cannot stand it. Also the toothbrush can be an issue, soft bristles are usually better. The brand I used to prefer started making ones that felt squeaky! Horrible. Again, sensodyne was better. Ask her if there are any issues like that?

I liked bedtime, but I had a night light which i could read by, so I would read in bed. I did go to sleep at a reasonable hour by choice, as I got woken at 7am I tried to stop reading by 11pm or I knew I would be tired. Is she allowed to read in bed? Not screens though! In my day of course no such thing, just paper books. But e-ink is OK too as it doesn't have the blue light which is bad for sleep.

She might have PDA, pathological demand avoidance, have you looked into that?

• That is all very helpful, and pretty much allows me to "tap-out" of this conversation because the behaviours you describe do not resonate with my curious experiences of defiance.  I do hope that others in this place will be able to help you further.

I wish you all a peaceful and happy Christmas period.