Sarcasm

Apparently, autistic people don’t understand sarcasm. This is of course absolutely true except for the fact that it isn’t. I've posted a *very* short video about this on my Autistic Not Alien channel on YouTube. 

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on sarcasm.

Parents
  • Your video made me laugh, but unsurprisingly, took me until the end of the video to realise it was a joke. Very well done though!

Personally, I do struggle with jokes and the meaning of jokes, but can enjoy comedy and some forms of sarcasm. I am often the last to get a joke (again, not unsurprisingly!!), but I do try and laugh when I think people are trying to be funny. Although it doesn’t always work, such as when I laughed during a funeral when someone was doing their speech, but then got some odd looks when no one else was laughing. Apparently what they said wasn’t meant to be funny. 

anyway, enjoyed your video about your assessment too. I really liked the words from Vicky Bliss, never seen that before and think it’s a perfect way to explain autism. 

• Although it doesn’t always work, such as when I laughed during a funeral when someone was doing their speech, but then got some odd looks when no one else was laughing. Apparently what they said wasn’t meant to be funny. 

That made me smile.

I smile/laugh/giggle when I get nervous (so at inappropriate times).

I had a 1st date with a chap once and when we came back to his car it had been broken into and all his music stolen.

He went mad (I later became aware that he had a very bad temper indeed) and because it made me nervous, I smiled.

That then made him annoyed with me too.

Not an auspicious start Blush

• I'm autistic and I get sarcasm and use it too, people tell me that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, I tell them they only say that because they can't think of a suitable riposte!

I think this sounds like the usual nonsense spouted about what autistic people can and can't do, there are something that go right over my head, but sarcasm's rarely one of them.

• I have difficulty reading someone’s intentions from their facial expressions.

That is an easy one to fix:

https://www.scienceofpeople.com/microexpressions/

It takes a fair bit of practice to get right though.

• Stewart Lee is wonderful, and recently realised he's autistic.

• I've got a fridge magnet that say's 'I've never faked a sarcasm in my life', it was bought for me by someone who'd been on the recieving end of my wit for years.

Reply Children
No Data