Sarcasm

Apparently, autistic people don’t understand sarcasm. This is of course absolutely true except for the fact that it isn’t. I've posted a *very* short video about this on my Autistic Not Alien channel on YouTube. 

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on sarcasm.

Parents
  • Your video made me laugh, but unsurprisingly, took me until the end of the video to realise it was a joke. Very well done though!

Personally, I do struggle with jokes and the meaning of jokes, but can enjoy comedy and some forms of sarcasm. I am often the last to get a joke (again, not unsurprisingly!!), but I do try and laugh when I think people are trying to be funny. Although it doesn’t always work, such as when I laughed during a funeral when someone was doing their speech, but then got some odd looks when no one else was laughing. Apparently what they said wasn’t meant to be funny. 

anyway, enjoyed your video about your assessment too. I really liked the words from Vicky Bliss, never seen that before and think it’s a perfect way to explain autism. 

• Although it doesn’t always work, such as when I laughed during a funeral when someone was doing their speech, but then got some odd looks when no one else was laughing. Apparently what they said wasn’t meant to be funny. 

That made me smile.

I smile/laugh/giggle when I get nervous (so at inappropriate times).

I had a 1st date with a chap once and when we came back to his car it had been broken into and all his music stolen.

He went mad (I later became aware that he had a very bad temper indeed) and because it made me nervous, I smiled.

That then made him annoyed with me too.

Not an auspicious start Blush

• I'm autistic and I get sarcasm and use it too, people tell me that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, I tell them they only say that because they can't think of a suitable riposte!

I think this sounds like the usual nonsense spouted about what autistic people can and can't do, there are something that go right over my head, but sarcasm's rarely one of them.

• Maybe it would be...."nano" expression then.

Anything that is micro must also have a micro face

Now my brain has gone onto "me cro wah vey" and I'm now definitely mixing threads!

• is this some sort of experiment to see it autistic people get sarcasm?

Not sarcasm.

Anything that is micro must also have a micro face (unless it doesn't have a face) and hence a micro expression.

Sigh.

• Ohhhhhh

Do ants have faces!?

My brain went to actually picking up an ant with your fingers.

What about micro expression of ants?

"OOS don't be so silly"

• Scuse me spergers woman, I know ants are small but is this some sort of experiment to see it autistic people get sarcasm?

I don't get it! 

• I'm actually quite good at picking up micro expression

I'm like that with ants.

• I haven't looked at the link. I think I'm actually quite good at picking up micro expression (possibly more than a lot of other people but obviously cannot say this for certainty, its just a hunch) but more obvious expressions or body language pass me by. I often thought body language and expression was "automatic" but I've since learned a lot if it (but not all) is....."manufactured".

• I have difficulty reading someone’s intentions from their facial expressions.

That is an easy one to fix:

https://www.scienceofpeople.com/microexpressions/

It takes a fair bit of practice to get right though.

• Stewart Lee is wonderful, and recently realised he's autistic.

• I've got a fridge magnet that say's 'I've never faked a sarcasm in my life', it was bought for me by someone who'd been on the recieving end of my wit for years.

• ditto. Many people cannot tell when I am joking or being sarcastic as I can be so straight faced. Often my sarcasm is misinterpreted to be serious when I thought I was being light hearted. Damn NT's and their ways! lol

• I like Stewart Lee so I must like sarcasm, right? I don't really know how to define it.

Faces have tells. I can read some expressions but not others - at least I think I can. Telling lies is easy to spot. Knowing the mood, or intent of that lie – or any other intent–is hard. Others can mean any number of things and I can only get as close as 'pleased' or 'not pleased'.

Sometimes I will be told some news about a person's situation and I will want to be supportive but not sure how they, themselves, feel about what they just said. So I try to remember to ask i.e.: "so the break up is a good thing? Or bad?"

If I forget to ask or it's hazy and i'm feeling overconfident..  the following happens,

Recently an elderly woman died after a very short illness, that came at t he end of a long, joyous life. She went quickly, in peace and without pain. When a relative told me this I said "great" and smiled, because she did not suffer and her illness was so short and she had gotten a chance to say good bye to everyone. A good way to leave the earth plane. I upset the person and couldn't understand why. They said they wanted them (now dead person) to stay because they miss them. that felt wrong to me but I could explain how.    My friend, who I was with, just shepherded me away from this deep water before I drowned in faux pas overload. She is my editor in these matters.

I often just end up guessing and some times I get lucky sometimes not, or I try for the tone of voice but that is just as perilous - due to this sarcasm factor perhaps? The face and body language saying one thing and the words another?

Perhaps its the intent of the sarcasm: if it is meant to wound I am clueless, if it's meant to joke and lighten a difficult situation it's a bit easier to spot.

I do like comedians and comedy. Stewart Lee is my favorite comedian. His face and words always match up.

• I have difficulty reading someone’s intentions from their facial expressions. I can see their expressions (I’m not blind) but I don’t know what it means. And I often misunderstand that. I think that they are joking while they are not, or opposite- they are joking but I take it seriously. But sarcasm is something I often get and it makes me laugh. Worst scenario is if I see sarcasm while it’s not (at least this is not the author’s intention) and I end up laughing at something that is not funny and everyone gives me strange looks. It happened quite many times at school, courses, university etc. I myself often use sarcasm but others not always get it or don’t find it funny. Only me. 

• I have difficulty reading someone’s intentions from their facial expressions. I can see their expressions (I’m not blind) but I don’t know what it means. And I often misunderstand that. I think that they are joking while they are not, or opposite- they are joking but I take it seriously. But sarcasm is something I often get and it makes me laugh. Worst scenario is if I see sarcasm while it’s not (at least this is not the author’s intention) and I end up laughing at something that is not funny and everyone gives me strange looks. It happened quite many times at school, courses, university etc. I myself often use sarcasm but others not always get it or don’t find it funny. Only me. 

Children
  • Maybe it would be...."nano" expression then.

Anything that is micro must also have a micro face

Now my brain has gone onto "me cro wah vey" and I'm now definitely mixing threads!

• is this some sort of experiment to see it autistic people get sarcasm?

Not sarcasm.

Anything that is micro must also have a micro face (unless it doesn't have a face) and hence a micro expression.

Sigh.

• Ohhhhhh

Do ants have faces!?

My brain went to actually picking up an ant with your fingers.

What about micro expression of ants?

"OOS don't be so silly"

• Scuse me spergers woman, I know ants are small but is this some sort of experiment to see it autistic people get sarcasm?

I don't get it! 

• I'm actually quite good at picking up micro expression

I'm like that with ants.

• I haven't looked at the link. I think I'm actually quite good at picking up micro expression (possibly more than a lot of other people but obviously cannot say this for certainty, its just a hunch) but more obvious expressions or body language pass me by. I often thought body language and expression was "automatic" but I've since learned a lot if it (but not all) is....."manufactured".

• I have difficulty reading someone’s intentions from their facial expressions.

That is an easy one to fix:

https://www.scienceofpeople.com/microexpressions/

It takes a fair bit of practice to get right though.

• Stewart Lee is wonderful, and recently realised he's autistic.

• I've got a fridge magnet that say's 'I've never faked a sarcasm in my life', it was bought for me by someone who'd been on the recieving end of my wit for years.

• ditto. Many people cannot tell when I am joking or being sarcastic as I can be so straight faced. Often my sarcasm is misinterpreted to be serious when I thought I was being light hearted. Damn NT's and their ways! lol

• I like Stewart Lee so I must like sarcasm, right? I don't really know how to define it.

Faces have tells. I can read some expressions but not others - at least I think I can. Telling lies is easy to spot. Knowing the mood, or intent of that lie – or any other intent–is hard. Others can mean any number of things and I can only get as close as 'pleased' or 'not pleased'.

Sometimes I will be told some news about a person's situation and I will want to be supportive but not sure how they, themselves, feel about what they just said. So I try to remember to ask i.e.: "so the break up is a good thing? Or bad?"

If I forget to ask or it's hazy and i'm feeling overconfident..  the following happens,

Recently an elderly woman died after a very short illness, that came at t he end of a long, joyous life. She went quickly, in peace and without pain. When a relative told me this I said "great" and smiled, because she did not suffer and her illness was so short and she had gotten a chance to say good bye to everyone. A good way to leave the earth plane. I upset the person and couldn't understand why. They said they wanted them (now dead person) to stay because they miss them. that felt wrong to me but I could explain how.    My friend, who I was with, just shepherded me away from this deep water before I drowned in faux pas overload. She is my editor in these matters.

I often just end up guessing and some times I get lucky sometimes not, or I try for the tone of voice but that is just as perilous - due to this sarcasm factor perhaps? The face and body language saying one thing and the words another?

Perhaps its the intent of the sarcasm: if it is meant to wound I am clueless, if it's meant to joke and lighten a difficult situation it's a bit easier to spot.

I do like comedians and comedy. Stewart Lee is my favorite comedian. His face and words always match up.