Sarcasm

Apparently, autistic people don’t understand sarcasm. This is of course absolutely true except for the fact that it isn’t. I've posted a *very* short video about this on my Autistic Not Alien channel on YouTube. 

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on sarcasm.

• Maybe it would be...."nano" expression then.

Anything that is micro must also have a micro face

Now my brain has gone onto "me cro wah vey" and I'm now definitely mixing threads!

• is this some sort of experiment to see it autistic people get sarcasm?

Not sarcasm.

Anything that is micro must also have a micro face (unless it doesn't have a face) and hence a micro expression.

Sigh.

• Ohhhhhh

Do ants have faces!?

My brain went to actually picking up an ant with your fingers.

What about micro expression of ants?

"OOS don't be so silly"

• Scuse me spergers woman, I know ants are small but is this some sort of experiment to see it autistic people get sarcasm?

I don't get it! 

• I'm actually quite good at picking up micro expression

I'm like that with ants.

• I haven't looked at the link. I think I'm actually quite good at picking up micro expression (possibly more than a lot of other people but obviously cannot say this for certainty, its just a hunch) but more obvious expressions or body language pass me by. I often thought body language and expression was "automatic" but I've since learned a lot if it (but not all) is....."manufactured".

• Once I had to leave a very serious work meeting, - I worked in a university Biochemistry department - because I couldn't stifle my intense mirth. It was triggered when a colleague, who was reporting on his various different responsibilities said, "Now, wearing my ultracentrifuge hat ..." I couldn't cope with the vision that popped into my brain as to what he would look like wearing such a hat.

And neurotypicals question whether we have a sense of humour!

• I have difficulty reading someone’s intentions from their facial expressions.

That is an easy one to fix:

https://www.scienceofpeople.com/microexpressions/

It takes a fair bit of practice to get right though.

• I think the "rhetoric" on this is that Autistic people don't find sarcasm funny. 

• One of my teachers at school used to say sarcasm was the lowest form of with but the highest form of intelligence... he was always sarcastic. I can mostly spot sarcasm if the person's body language or general demeanour indicates it, but if they are deliberately hiding things or lying I don't pick up on it.

I don't get a lot of jokes. And I think my favourite joke, other people don't really think it's a joke.

What is the difference between a set of bagpipes and an onion?

Nobody cries when you stick a knife in the bagpipes.

• I understand sarcasm directed at other people, but not at me.

• I seldom have difficulty understanding sarcasm, and am not averse to being intentionally sarcastic. There have also been numerous occasions when I've been accused of being sarcastic when that had never been my intention.

It is said that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I am of the belief that there are two types of sarcasm... One that is fairly harmless and not intended to offend,  and one that can seem intentionally cruel and unkind to the person or people on the receiving end.

• Stewart Lee is wonderful, and recently realised he's autistic.

• Glad I made you laugh! I'm used to being the last one in on the joke as well - not sure if that's a consolation. Yes, the words from Vicky Bliss are wonderful and so important.

• I've got a fridge magnet that say's 'I've never faked a sarcasm in my life', it was bought for me by someone who'd been on the recieving end of my wit for years.

• ditto. Many people cannot tell when I am joking or being sarcastic as I can be so straight faced. Often my sarcasm is misinterpreted to be serious when I thought I was being light hearted. Damn NT's and their ways! lol

• Please give to the National Sarcasm Association.  Yeah, we really need your support.

• Are you REALLY interested though? 

I am so dry sometimes people think I'm being serious.

• I like Stewart Lee so I must like sarcasm, right? I don't really know how to define it.

Faces have tells. I can read some expressions but not others - at least I think I can. Telling lies is easy to spot. Knowing the mood, or intent of that lie – or any other intent–is hard. Others can mean any number of things and I can only get as close as 'pleased' or 'not pleased'.

Sometimes I will be told some news about a person's situation and I will want to be supportive but not sure how they, themselves, feel about what they just said. So I try to remember to ask i.e.: "so the break up is a good thing? Or bad?"

If I forget to ask or it's hazy and i'm feeling overconfident..  the following happens,

Recently an elderly woman died after a very short illness, that came at t he end of a long, joyous life. She went quickly, in peace and without pain. When a relative told me this I said "great" and smiled, because she did not suffer and her illness was so short and she had gotten a chance to say good bye to everyone. A good way to leave the earth plane. I upset the person and couldn't understand why. They said they wanted them (now dead person) to stay because they miss them. that felt wrong to me but I could explain how.    My friend, who I was with, just shepherded me away from this deep water before I drowned in faux pas overload. She is my editor in these matters.

I often just end up guessing and some times I get lucky sometimes not, or I try for the tone of voice but that is just as perilous - due to this sarcasm factor perhaps? The face and body language saying one thing and the words another?

Perhaps its the intent of the sarcasm: if it is meant to wound I am clueless, if it's meant to joke and lighten a difficult situation it's a bit easier to spot.

I do like comedians and comedy. Stewart Lee is my favorite comedian. His face and words always match up.