Classic Cars Appreciation

Are there any classic car fans here?

I've always loved the classics. Both my dad and grandfather loved them so I think I must take after them. Growing up I remember them both having a lot of different classic cars, one of the highlights was my Grandad's MK2 Ford Granada 2.8 Ghia X, in stunning gold. He still had it when I was 8 but sold it on ebay when he gave up driving.

I've been a hobbiest classic car restorer for several years and am looking in to setting up my own workshop with my wife, who though doesn't really like cars she puts up with my constant chit chat about them! She's good like that!

Do you have a favourite classic?

I think one of my favourites has to be Vauxhall Royale coupe. I thought these were absolutely gorgeous cars inside and out.

What wasn't to like?

But I'm a fan of them all to be honest. I love the old Triumphs,Vauxhalls, Jaguars and BMWs. Currently restoring a Vauxhall Chevette and in the process of getting my grandfather's old Senator back on the road.

Still some ways to go with the Senator I fear...

• I have a feeling ours might have had more conventional wing mirrors so perhaps it was a from a year or two later. But very similar. 

• Whoo Sarah Jane!!! Classy car for a classy lady Slight smile

• That's lovely. I love how the mirrors are at the front like that.

• I don't know if this is a classic but my dad owned one of these Landrovers from 1988 (I was born in 97) and he had until 2016.

• Yes, hers was that colour too! Gorgeous 

• Before that they’d had Reilly Elf and a Simka (not sure I spelled that right). Later on -mid 80s- we had a Nissan Sunny (silver) and then got into a run of Volkswagen polos around early 90s, the last of which was saloon not hatchback.

as a child, I getting trips in loved my aunt’s blue VW beetle. And my grandfather’s mini. Which always seemed to have packets of polos and tobacco strewn around in it.

I remember I always (as a child, even a teenager) wanted a Citroen 2cv when I grew up and got a licence. I never did though. 

My current car is a Micra K12, one of a few modern cars on the road with true character. I’ve had it about 13 years and hope to keep it going for a good while yet. I get teased a lot that it will be an antique or classic soon, I’ll be driving it round with holes in the floor etc. But I don’t care, I love it. It’s been a good friend to me and has a lot of memories, some really good, some very bad. I just replaced the crumbling clutch (well the mechanics did) and it feels like a new car. Hoping it keeps on keeping on, can’t afford any other scenario! 

• I do t know a ton about cars, but I love the character of late 1970s and 1980s cars. The first one I remember my parents driving us around in was a Datsun Sunny, dark blue (the one below is lighter blue than ours):

• The original name was going to be the Morris Mosquito, it was felt that the servicemen after the war had a dislike of the name. Designed by Sir Alex Issigonis, he went on to design the Mini, Maxi, 1100 ,1880 and last project was the Marina. Sorry, going into special interest mode.

• Some motor industry bigwig in the 1950s said the Morris Minor looked like a poached egg.

• It’s built on a Nissan Micra chassis. The head of Nissan loved the opera, The marriage of Figaro was his favourite , so it got named Figaro. My wife has always wanted one of the pink ones with daisy petal wheels.

• According to the internet only 20,000 were produced.

• Great find mate! That's a Nissan Figaro, fairly rare to see them around these days especially in such great condition - rust sees a lot of them off.

Doctor Who fans will recognise it as Sarah Jane Smith's car Stuck out tongue 

• Can anyone identify this car that I came across on my travels.

• Thanks, the Cresta was my late fathers car. The love of my life has always been Classic MK1 Minis, I’ve collected every part I need over the years but never had time to start work on an old shell I bought years ago. My first car was a MK1 Mini. The Chevette sounds an interesting project. I did my apprenticeship with Ford, worked on a lot of Granadas. Finished this MGC a few months ago and starting some work on a horrible Vittese today. The MGC and the blue E Type in the last picture are still rallied.

• Love the old Jags. Quite problematic mechanically though... If you watch Morse and see the episode where he starts and the engine cuts out, that's actually a genuine issue the car had, it wasn't planned and if you look close you see the actors inside laughing.

Grin

• Very nice! That's a lovely looking car, would be a lot of fun on those roads especially the motorways. I think I need to add that to my own list to buy...

• Cracking cars the Senator B, especially with the dual ram 3.0 24v engine... Gave them plenty of go. The one I'm currently restoring is on just about 180,000 miles. Still drives like it's only done 80,000. Nice cruiser those cars, beautiful upholstery with black leather and the orange digital dash. Main enemy is rust especially on the sills and rear arches.

I hope you get your dream car one day mate. Love the old Porches. Real classy motors.

• That looks immaculate! Hardly see any Crestas around...

Your workshop looks brilliant. That's what I'm hoping for in the end. Currently working from an old timber garage.

• I love the old VW campers. Rough rides but real stylish vehicles.

• Oh yes! That's a classic all right, Morris Minor, needs work by the looks of it but well worth saving!