My Guilty Pleasure

Way back in 2013, my mother started asking me if I had seen a particular programme on Channel 4. I kept being told that I simply HAD to watch it because it was absolutely hilarious. Her description of it caused me to think it sounded rather ghastly. "It features people watching TV and commenting on what they have seen. Some of the things they say are priceless!" 

As I've never understood the appeal of people watching YouTube videos of people playing video games, I was struggling to understand what could possibly be so enjoyable and entertaining about this programme that my mother kept talking about. If you haven't already guessed, the programme was Gogglebox

Eventually, I decided to watch it. My mother had spent weeks telling me about the antics of the 'posh couple' who always appeared to be in an inebriated state, so I figured that I had to at least find out for myself what all the ridiculous hype was about. Well, I was hooked. 

Yes, my guilty pleasure (one of them) is watching Gogglebox

Do you have any guilty pleasures that you care to share? - Please keep it clean folks!

• I am a big fan of Aussie soaps. My favourite is Neighbours. It was upsetting that it got cancelled. I even signed an online petition to get it back! I was so happy to learn it's coming back to telly. I turned to Home and Away when Neighbours went off the air. I'll be watching both in future. Please don't judge me (joke!)

• Britpop constituted most of my guilty pleasures.

Kula Shaker, Longpigs, even Robbie Williams.

• Lee and Jenny make me laugh too... Those eye rolls from Lee when Jenny starts crying, and the fact that his jokes often seem to go over the top of her head.

I really like Jenny and Lee too, they are quite a funny pair. 

• If only the rest of the world was like you :o) 

• I used to watch The Professionals and Sweeney with my Dad. He used to tell me what all the cars were. I loved The Sweeney, John Thaw was ace "Shut it ya slag!" Lol Laughing

• My guilty pleasure is Cadburys chocolate every now and then and Twilight. Lol. I really don't know why it is so hated but I keep it to myself I'm a fan of the series.

• I have one thing I do every Friday, I take sandwiches to work every day with the same filling. On Friday I take a chicken curry and rice  ready meal and nuke it. I am really living the dream!

• If you enjoy it that's all that matters. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks :) 

• My dad used to love watching Hill Street Blues, and I also remember my parents watching the likes of The Sweeney, The Professionals, and Minder. 

Yes, it can be rather irksome when someone decides to start talking while one is trying to watch something on TV, particularly if it is something that one has been looking forward to watching. I remember that if my dad wanted to watch something that he knew nobody else wanted to watch, he would go and watch it on the TV in his bedroom.

• My guilty pleasure is watching 1970’s and 80’s tv, The Sweeney, The Professionals and Minder. Hill Street Blues is my absolute escape. No one is allowed to watch these programs with me, I’ve found that people talk whilst the program is on, I really don’t understand that.

• I know you have sensory issues with bright lights, but I'm inclined to think your aversion is taking it a bit too far. If they didn't have their lights on, the viewers would most likely only see dark shadows on their screens. Laughing

And yet...

You are willing to overlook the bright studio lighting in the Doctor Who equivalent of Googlebox. Thinking

• It counts if you think it counts. Wink

• I always feel envious when I see the plate of cakes on that table. If I was in the habit of regularly treating myself to such edible luxuries, I wouldn't even bother putting them on a plate as the whole lot would probably get eaten within the first 5 minutes. Laughing

• I think Gogglebox is something that you will either enjoy and want to watch, or totally dislike. 

As for your guilty pleasure, I agree with Shardovan's comment. 

• I have a silly aversion to Gogglebox for a slightly ridiculous reason: everyone watches their telly with the big light on.

And yet… there’s a Doctor Who version of the same thing (actors from different eras re-watching old episodes, sometimes ones they were in) on the season blu rays that is appointment viewing. And they have just as bright a light on. But because it’s done i a studio I forgive it. I am a silly man. 

• This is a good point - there should be no guilty pleasures really. We like what we like, and if it hurts no one, why not do what makes you happy? 

• Does having watched Deep Blue Sea (the brainy sharks one) about ten times count? Considering I’ve never watched many acclaimed classics? Yeah, thst counts for sure. And I’ll do it again! 

• I love Cogglebox, another 5 years and my wife and I will be Giles and Mary, I can mimic Giles’s voice easily, I often call my wife “Nutty” the only person that really annoys me is the father in the Malone family, his feet are always on the coffee table about 6 inches from the cakes.

• I've never seen Gogglebox but I keep hearing good things about it so I need to watch it at some point!

My guilty pleasure is still playing with toys and dolls which I personally don't think is bad thing but I know a lot of people disagree with older than 10 year old playing. 

But on the quiet I still enjoy it!

• Giles and Mary can have me in stitches, especially when Giles seems to go out of his way to wind Mary up. Sometimes Mary's reactions are not what I anticipate. For example, I'll be expecting her to say how distasteful something is, but she will surprise me by finding it amusing. 

I find the banter between Dave and Shirley hilarious, and they are at the top of my list of favourite people, along with the sisters Ellie and Izzi, The Siddiqui's, and The Worthingtons.

Lee and Jenny make me laugh too... Those eye rolls from Lee when Jenny starts crying, and the fact that his jokes often seem to go over the top of her head. 

I also find myself laughing with incredulity at some of the banter between Abbie and Georgia.