Is there a type of autistic person interested in words?

The stereotyped autistic person is obsessed with maths, science, technology, but I wondered if there is another type who is obsessed with words, correcting word mistakes, dictionaries, learning new words etc. A Word Nerd.

I am a proud Word Nerd, I have zero interest or skills in maths, science, technology. It is a reason I didn't even consider I was autistic until I was in my 40s/50s- I wasn't a computer geek, so I couldn't be autistic, could I?

What do you think?

• My favourite correction being "IT'S STANDING! NOT STOOD!" 

I let grammar mistakes go if it's to do with local dialect though. (Eg "I were" instead of "I was")

I also like plays on words or funny signs in shops. Something which I can't get past is the phrase "so good" usully about food. It's crept in from America.  I don't know why I hate it so much but it just makes my skin crawl. 

• We really should use willn't rather than won't. At school we used backslang a lot, you could get away with lots of swearing. I once knew the lyrics of the Goodies' 'Funky Gibbon' in backslang.

• I also really love language, particularly etymology. I like the freedom that a big vocabulary gives me in creative writing and how one word can have multiple meanings depending on personal interpretation. I also like to correct grammar mistakes.

• I teach, and do proof reading from time to time too as a profession. I was considered gifted St writing as a kid, but lost that later on, somehow. 

• It's something i'll consider in the future if my mental health improves.  I'd have to stand for city council due to my views (if i wanted to be elected)

• Depending on where you live could try for parish council. Mostly low stress stuff like maintaining the village hall and arguing about the bus service.

• Kiki cat,  are you able to send me a PM or friendship request? 

• Yes I have an armchair interest in psychology. Just out if interest, do you do proofreading freelance? How does it work. I need an extra source of income in the holidays I think. 

• I'm pretty sure Autists have all kinds of narrow interests.  I'm obsessed with all kinds of things. If i could cope with life a bit easier i probably would of been a Councillor or an MP.  That's where i have the most knowledge.  Before i dropped out of school my best subject was History.  So perhaps i could of been this generations Eric Hobsbawm.  I guess i'll never know now.  My wants are just the basics of life now.

• Hopefully there are! Hopefully I'll meet some and get away from the 'autistic people are all computer geeks' label.

I've no idea about maths of any type and couldn't care less about them. That's the heart of the matter- I have zero interest in any type of maths, I like words.

• I've never heard anyone say coolth except my mum in the 1980s. Even you wrote cool and not coolth?

• I think the reason you don’t hear coolth is cool is already used that way. One can enjoy the warmth of the sun or the cool of the breeze.

• I’m sure there are plenty of linguistics nerds out there. After all the number of conlangs like lojban attest to this.

for myself I’d like to remind people that maths is very much about the abstract concept of numbers not arithmetic. Arithmetic is knowing 2+2=4. Maths is knowing why 2+2=4. A lot of really good mathematicians suck at mental arithmetic.

• Oh yes isn't it exciting when you can use an unusual word, or when you find a word you don't know the meaning of! I love finding new words. Or inventing them. Pointful should be a word. Also Coolth (opposite of Warmth).

I love dictionaries- etymological, phrase and fable, any really! Do you follow Suzy Dent? She is always tweeting unusual words. Also Tom Read Wilson, Stephen Fry...

• I'm exactly the same about being articulate...well in writing anyway! I have problems explaining things in speech because conversations go too fast and I'm expected to keep up, explain quickly before they move on. I can't keep up. I can't talk over other people and keep track of what they're saying.

Yes, it's the stereotype isn't it...'autistic people are all computer geeks or card counters like Rain Man.' etc. I know an autistic woman, she writes wonderful imaginative fantasy books and there are definitely more autistic authors than we think. Especially in the fantasy genre because they can invent their own worlds.

I am a proofreader, I love searching out mistakes in writing and correcting them so it looks perfect. Nothing to do with maths, science etc. I wonder if there are a lot of autistic proofreaders who like the same things as me.

The only science related thing I like is psychology related. I like to know how humans function and why they behave that way.

• I have zero interest in numbers, I have almost zero ability in mental arithmetic. My maths, otherwise, is OK, not particularly good, but adequate for a biologist.I love words, I once got the word 'involute' into a scientific paper and was very happy. Give me an etymological dictionary and it will amuse me for the rest of the day.

• Couldn't agree more.

I think it's outdated views about numbers science etc. There are musicians and actors who are on the spectrum. To me autism is how the brain is wired, but this only manifests externally in behaviours.  I don't think preferences etc should be a determining characteristic of autism (like on the questionnaires....are you fascinated with timetables? Etc...)

It's been commented that I'm very articulate. I have a good grasp of idioms. I very much enjoyed poetry as a child. I love accents, dialects and how words feel in my mouth. However I can have difficulty explaining myself, or how I feel. 

I haven't got a clue about computers but do have some interest in science.  I teach English language.  There's a lot of pattern recognition and repetition in my classes in order to teach it.