Is there a type of autistic person interested in words?

The stereotyped autistic person is obsessed with maths, science, technology, but I wondered if there is another type who is obsessed with words, correcting word mistakes, dictionaries, learning new words etc. A Word Nerd.

I am a proud Word Nerd, I have zero interest or skills in maths, science, technology. It is a reason I didn't even consider I was autistic until I was in my 40s/50s- I wasn't a computer geek, so I couldn't be autistic, could I?

What do you think?

Parents
  • I have zero interest in numbers, I have almost zero ability in mental arithmetic. My maths, otherwise, is OK, not particularly good, but adequate for a biologist.I love words, I once got the word 'involute' into a scientific paper and was very happy. Give me an etymological dictionary and it will amuse me for the rest of the day.

• Oh yes isn't it exciting when you can use an unusual word, or when you find a word you don't know the meaning of! I love finding new words. Or inventing them. Pointful should be a word. Also Coolth (opposite of Warmth).

I love dictionaries- etymological, phrase and fable, any really! Do you follow Suzy Dent? She is always tweeting unusual words. Also Tom Read Wilson, Stephen Fry...

• I think the reason you don’t hear coolth is cool is already used that way. One can enjoy the warmth of the sun or the cool of the breeze.

Reply Children