Is there a type of autistic person interested in words?

The stereotyped autistic person is obsessed with maths, science, technology, but I wondered if there is another type who is obsessed with words, correcting word mistakes, dictionaries, learning new words etc. A Word Nerd.

I am a proud Word Nerd, I have zero interest or skills in maths, science, technology. It is a reason I didn't even consider I was autistic until I was in my 40s/50s- I wasn't a computer geek, so I couldn't be autistic, could I?

What do you think?

• Yes that's what I do too. I'm really interested in something, then once I've learned all about it, I lose interest and move on. So I suppose I lose those skills too.

• I wouldn't say an interest in words is narrow, words are used by 100% of people on the planet! haha.

• I don't do PMs anymore but you're welcome to friend me.

• Hearing that word, to me, makes me think of little snacks that you nibble on individually. "I'm going to have some knibbage before my tea"

• 'Knibbidge' is one of mine - the k is pronounced. Slight smile

• I have a word obsession as well. There is something called hyperlexia, which is a child's precocious ability to read sooner than normal, which some autistic people have.

For me, I did learn to read early and easily. I read significantly faster than other people and spelling is something that comes automatically to me without effort. I remember at school when we were learning to spell, and having to do spelling tests, and I didn't understand why. To me, once you see a word you know how it's spelt, because the word has a "shape". I always got full marks on spelling tests and for a long time I never understood why people spelt things wrongly. It used to really annoy me.

I remember one time when I was seeing a psychologist and I questioned something she had written, and she seemed shocked and said "you can read upside down?". I thought everyone could... because it's the same word, just rotated. You still recognise a triangle if it's upside down? But apparently most people can't, they struggle to see the letters and have to sound out the word backwards.

When I was a teenager I became obsessed with etymology. I became very interested in Old English, and I've taught myself Latin. I really want to learn Sanskrit but struggling to find the time, but that's basically top of my list of things to do if I ever can quit my job.

I see in my head the spelling of words whenever people are talking, and I watch everything with subtitles on because I want to see how people's names and places are spelt. Unfortunately in my experience the subtitles are wrong in every show, on every broadcaster and streaming service. I obsessively collected the examples of incorrect subtitles and used to send them to Netflix and Amazon Prime but they never responded or did anything about it. I still collect them anyway, I have a folder with over 1000 images.

• Unless it's 'I was stood up' of course. 

• There are so many words that we know what they mean even if they're invented, like breathful and peaceless, aren't there.

• Gosh that's nice, thanks.

• I signed up to People Per Hour as a proofreader and got work very quickly. I find it good because it's based in the UK and all payments are in ££. I recommend it!

• "I was stood at the bus stop" no! Standing! You don't say "I was went to the shops". It's become naturalised in our language now....I don't think it's to do with local dialect.

• My GP used it with me as therapy, getting me to write a journal. My English book was never returned to me, and I suspect the school psychologist kept it back as part of his case study work. That was lethal, somehow. I think, ou can use writing to work through demons, it you have to be ittey ruthless with yourself a d your characters. I do have a selection of short stories, but don't really ha e the time to do much with them. 

In the end I preferred using creative media that did not involve words.

The school I attended was a pretty thuggish place too. 

• Definitely!  I think that the problem is that both the diagnostic criteria and the general perception of autism is based on stereotypes, often involving being gifted in maths or working in Silicon Valley.  This might very well have led to people being missed and/or not realising that they're autistic until much later in life.  

I have always been fond of words, beginning very early in life and at school the complaint that I sounded as though I'd "swallowed a dictionary" was often levelled against me (by other pupils,that is.  Obviously my English teachers thought I was great!).  My sons likewise and I simply thought they took after me in that regard.  

Then, a couple of years ago, I came across the word "hyperlexia".   Moreover, I discovered that this was often associated with autism.  Hmm...   Not entirely happy about this.  I thought I had a way with words, a gift, a talent.  But apparently I have a condition called "hyperlexia"!

Oh well, I guess it can be both.  :)

• Yes: stood.  Is that a dialect thing in Uk? 
    ‘so good’ for food literally makes me visualise the alimentary canal 

• I was considered gifted at writing and acting.  I seem to have lost them.  I also, weirdly, lost other joys: trusting human beings, reading and being intensely moved by music.  These losses coincided with exposure to Secondary school thuggishness but I can’t be certain that trying to adapt to teenage boys’ treatment of me and my own development were factors. 

• It’s a pleasure to read your posts