Social Media is Simultaneously One Of The Most Incredible and Terrible Inventions of the 21st Century

That’s my opinion I find the concept of social media hard to tackle in my brain because of my view on but curious to see what you think.

• This advance in tech is causing huge problems in Rural Ireland at the moment, especially for the elderly - not all parts of Rural Ireland have rural broadband because the Irish government abandoned the project just before Covid, yet they are forcing elderly people to go online to do everything they once did in person, banks and post offices being an obvious example, which as a consequence, the elderly in Rural Ireland are really suffering 

• I do think that we could all live without social media and it should be banned - yet those in the truth and patriot movement as we saw during Covid were heavily censored and also traffic from Russia because of the Ukraine war was also heavily censored by the globalist elites 

• I would actually go one step further, in that I would ban all access to the internet and mobile phones for all under 21’s and even then, I would develop a licence system, where a person would have to prove their fitness as a “fit and proper person” to hold an internet/mobile phone licence, proven to a police inspector and also to prove that they actually need such licences - if so, they would then have to apply to a court in an open court hearing in front of a judge and jury to have such licence application granted and only on the condition of close supervision and monitoring on an ongoing basis (because the right to online privacy is constantly being abused) this licence would only be valid for 12 months and this process would have to be repeated 

• Totally agree with this - motivated by my Catholic faith, I have come to both realise and I now firmly believe that the influence of social media and the internet/mobile phones is incredibly socially harmful, which just as our grandparents generation correctly and accurately predicted, would lead to our current situation and which they also were totally opposed to us children back in the 80’s before they passed, being allowed anywhere near computers or mobile phones and learning anything about them, with very good reason, as we have seen in the space of 40 years - not only do I share such opinions of my grandparents generation as an older gay man, where I do not agree with any child under 21 being allowed anywhere near the internet nor mobile phones, I also have found it utterly bizarre over the years that no limitations on the use of the internet nor mobile phones were ever put in place such as a licence system, the only real limitations were the costs of obtaining computer and mobile phone equipment and/or contracts with mobile phone providers, ISP contracts, where the only opposition at the time was from our grandparents, concerned police officers and council landlords at that time - over time, even as more companies and state bodies moved all their operations exclusively online, as we saw with Covid, there was a deliberate intention to make us all totally dependent on the internet and mobile phones while censorship also crept in, partly as a result of 9/11 - we see with the inception of 5G to replace the current internet with something that can be totally controlled as incredibly dystopian as part of the Great Reset and Agenda 2030 - it’s no accident that so many big tech companies are now HQ’d in my native Ireland without the consent or even knowledge of the Irish people in the Republic - all of it is very disturbing, especially for the actual babies of today, who if they are allowed to grow up through their childhoods and if they reach adulthood, will never be allowed to have the (relative) freedoms that we once had 

• [spam removed by moderator]

• yes there are some days I think I am just a Bot.

• Or the other possibility is that it would become 'pay only' and we'd have to pay huge amounts to access social media. I think that is more likely tbh because everything has to be monetised and help big business now days doesn't it Rolling eyes 

• I wouldn’t see it that the details are available to the public, just kept by the administrators in the case where something illegal is said then they can pass it to the police a lot easier.

I think you’re right though, it would put a lot of people off, and that’s why it’ll probably never happen. If there is a chance that the business would loose revenue or market share, it’ll be blocked.

• I was commenting on another thread and ended up typing a thought that seemed more appropriate for this thread.

Your brain only remembers the last time you remembered something, not the actual occurrence (essentially everything is a copy). Social media is a mechanism to allow people to make interactions with far quicker speeds. We have the internet and social media, and everyone is connected at the tip of their finger, instant gratification in the most immediate form - looking at anything online is a form of knowledge for the brain. So, I think people became too comfortable, and realised they didn't have to remember everything in their brain, all they now had to do was remember how to look it up.

Essentially the internet and social media are somewhat replicating how brains works, but merging with technology. We are far more cyberpeople we think!

• I think you're right, and fairly soon people will have to sign up and prove their identity. However this will lead to vast numbers not signing up at all because they don't want nutters finding out where they live and coming to pay a visit. I would certainly be wary of that happening to me.
    I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I suppose for most of history the human race has survived without broadcasting every thought around the world. We can survive like that again.

• thats Zen advice " if u dont have anything useful to say, say nothing "

• One of the main problems with the social media aspect, is the anonymity of a lot of it. I was always brought up to believe “if you have nothing good to say, don’t say anything at all” (part of the reason I don’t post on here that much) Where as a lot of social media works on the basis of, “if you have some absolute rubbish, often racist or deliberately offensive to say, do it anonymously on Twitter!”

If people had to sign up to an account with a real name, and prove their identity by providing proof of address etc, all the hate would disappear. I recently had my van sign written, and now my name and phone number is there for all to see, I drive a lot more safely and courteously.

I think as a society we are experiencing the X Factor, Big Brother, Love Island, YouTube effects, where seemingly nobodies can act like clowns for a few weeks and become Z list famous. Which still nets them a few million quid. Kids are so lazy these days because they think they can film themselves falling over a few times and, bang, rich and famous. The sad thing is they are partly correct.

• I really wish the internet was Read Only, like a massive library.

• I think it's easily one of the most awful. I remember when the internet seemed to consist of many websites, now most folk just go to a handful which spy on them all the time - Facebook etc. Massive amounts of censorship and political manipulation on them too.

• It's like Pinnochio; where the boys were sent to 'Pleasure Island' where they were allowed to do Adult stuff; until they turned into Donkeys.

Yes - people blindly following a self-absorbed and narcissistic lifestyle and becoming part of the noisy herd - the individual gradually loses their own voice to become a slave to the system - a beast of burden - the donkey.      Just like the world of Twitter.

• absolutely we can now do things on line that u had to do manually in a bank or post office 

• I totally agree. I prefer message boards like this, where everything is in public with no private messages. Me and my girl friends on Twitter were just saying today how someone follows us, we innocently follow them back, then the next minute he's sending private messages chatting us up/ trying to sell us bitcoin or something! Rage 

I think the best thing they could do with the internet is just turn it into a massive library with no way of contacting others, except on public message boards with moderators like it used to be. Had the best fun in the days of message boards!

• It's like Pinnochio; where the boys were sent to 'Pleasure Island' where they were allowed to do Adult stuff; until they turned into Donkeys.

Facebook has turned our society into a Warzone. Divide and Conquer. A game of chess; where we are the pawns.

America has ALWAYS favoured Natural Selection; creating a game where they cannot lose. (like a bullied schoolboy playing 'games' with his siblings, where he wins all the time - my brother did that to me when we were young)

We're free, but have little sovereignty.

• Take away respect in our society, and this is the result.