Hope Therapy?

I'm being sent on 'Hope Therapy' at the hospice in a few weeks.    It's designed to motivate terminally ill people to look at the bright side of their situation and motivate them off of the sofa.

I'm not sure if I should go.        I have a huge extrovert personality, the engineer in me has already sorted my priorities and bucket list and it putting it all in action.   I've dealt with all the trash of my life and I've sorted all the paperwork of my existence.

The program is very mindfulness / hope diary based - I'm not sure that's at all compatible with me - I can't imagine Mr Data taking part..   It seems aimed at people who are crushed by their diagnosis and situation.    The research all seems from over 30 years ago - mainly in 3rd world countries - not sure how well that transfers to the UK.

Unfortunately, I'm the most positive, motivated, up-beat, energised, go-getting - depressed - person on the planet.

I'm actually concerned that I will damage or break the other people in the group when they are most vulnerable.

Has anyone else heard of this program and has it helped anyone you knew?

• Sorry Plastic, I hadn't at all considered that people would want to be with others in the same situation. Stupid of me really, as that's exactly why I'm on this forum. My apologies. You are an amazing and huge help here, it's very like that for some of the group you would be a big help for them also. Plus, as you said, it's an opportunity to be around others going through the same thing. You cannot please all of the people, all of the time, but I'm sure you will benefit some. You can always take it one session at a time, see how it goes and how it makes you feel. And again, I apologise for my lack of consideration. 

• Our beloved NHS  What heroes they have been during this plandemic... the miracle of covid is that it has eradicated every other illness... every death since March 2020 has been from covid (or has been covid-related); it's like magic. Covid has even cured cancer!

• My biggest problem is the NHS has been playing covid games.      It means that I (as a patient) have been totally denied any possibility of meeting with other patients or talking with medical professionals about my situation as we are all being kept very much at arm's length with only 2-minute phone calls to say my bloods are good, carry on with the next treatment.       

It's keeping us all in total isolation from each other at a time when we need as much information as possible - and to feel part of a group going through the same thing.

Whilst I'm not sure about this course, I think seeing other sufferers would be good for me - but I'm also aware that my bright, cheery persona might not be what others are able to understand or put up with.    I have to think of the others on the course too - I know I can damage people..

• Hi Plastic, do what's best for you, not for others. You could always give it a try and see how you feel about it. Personally it doesn't really sound like it's something that would appeal to you. It honestly wouldn't appeal to me. It is, of course, entirely your choice. Let us know what you decide.

• In that case, it might not be the right thing for you. I have no way of knowing you personally, but just from what you written, it doesn't sound as if you need any pushing to set goals. I wonder if you might benefit from the breathing and mindfulness bits? Trouble is, you'd have to sit through the other bits too! You can find a lot of great places to do that though without the rest.

Keep us updated with what you decide x

• I'm serious!  Smiley   I am nearer to an android.    I really am like Terminator scrolling down the list of what I should do next.      I really don't understand when people talk about their subconscious or egos or all the other therapy buzzwords - I'm just me - doing the right thing no matter what - but never for me.

I'm glad if I am of help on the forum - but I don't think I'm doing anything anyone else wouldn't do if they had the knowledge or experience.- like I've said before, most people are too bogged down with their symptoms to understand the root cause.. 

I was planning on going along to the first session to see exactly where they're going - and keeping quiet - as you say, it's free so I need to feel the temperature.

• It's definitely a routine offering.    They are feeling guilty for believing the '2 weeks to flatten the curve' and they abandoned everybody.immediately - a year ago - so they are tentatively restarting services

And Dave, I *really* only wish the best for you - for you to be able to move forwards and look at all your positives.     

This dwelling on something that is a long time ago is wasting so much of your life.     You only get your "three score years and ten" so wasting over 15 years of it over making an error you can't change seems to be such a shame.   .

• Thanks - it's actually a mixture of things per session - sort of group therapy and telling the group your week's achievement, breathing, mindfulness, setting goals etc.   

I'm not really sure I have an ego - I really am closer to Mr Data than a human - i'm always the one that will put themselves out 'for the greater good' so there's a whole load of terms that I can see in NTs but I'm missing them either completely (secrets etc.) or I'm incomplete in others.     I work incredibly logically and practically.

• Your self confidence is already there and I’m surprised they’re offering this unless it’s a routine.

you may be able to pass some of your positivity to others...... although to me it has been quite destructive 

• Mr. Data! Brilliant. I was actually called a Vulcan once by someone who didn't know it was a bit of a family joke as my father is a bit Vulcan-y AND had pointed ears when he was young. It was supposed to be an insult, but I found myself rather complimented.

When it  comes to concepts and philosophical experiments, so long as they're intended for growth, I'm always up for the challenge. I assume adventure, so long as it's a short-term commitment. If it's free and not taxing my well being or finances, then why not. But I also second Deepthought in that, you appear to manage to help a great deal on this forum. I know it's a bit different in person, though I've been in a few group therapy situations and usually try to always point out that while I may sound clever, don't be fooled!

• Morning, Plastic.

If it truly is a mindfulness session, then you won't be speaking or advising anyone of anything, you'll simply be learning to be present around others without trying to dictate how they should live, or impose your thoughts on anyone else. You'll simply be offering them your spirit, your presence.  And, they will be doing the same for you. So, unless you're planning to go into the sessions with an agenda to lecture people, you simply can't do any harm to anyone. 

If you are already in a good place spiritually, then you would make an enormous contribution to the other attendees who may be in spiritual turmoil and may be living in a nightmare of traumatic mental movies and terrifying images of past and future .

That said, there is no obligation to go. There is no right or wrong decision. If you go, it's the right thing to do for you and everyone else. If you don't go, then it's the right thing to do for yourself and everyone else. The only harm you can do is to go with resentment in your heart, or not go with resentment in your heart. Living mindfully is about living authentically, in the moment, free from the prison of repetitive thought and mental resentment/resistance.

The grip of the ego is at its tightest when we're doing one thing, but thinking and believing differently.  Such as, physically attending mindfulness sessions but mentally resenting being there/believing that they are a waste of time.  Or conversely, staying away from mindfulness sessions, but mentally resenting not having gone/believing we are missing out. Mindfulness is developing the awareness of how often (all the time) all of us are living in this duality of action and thought. 

Lots of love,

Michael x

• Thanks -  I've looked at the course content and it's very NT - I can't relate to the thought patterns they talk about - feelings and emotions are a bit mixed up in my head - I'm not really in touch or in control of them.

I can hope I appear inspirational - but I'm worried in case I make them all feel inadequate - "That bloke should be dead by now - what's your problem?"  or    "holy crap - I've wasted this last year of my life"

I don't want to come across as too bright or arrogant if they ask me what I'm doing - and I'm not good at hiding the truth.   The engineer give concise answers that might offend.

• Unfortunately, I'm the most positive, motivated, up-beat, energised, go-getting - depressed - person on the planet.

I'm actually concerned that I will damage or break the other people in the group when they are most vulnerable.

You may be the very sort of person to be a positive, motivated, up-beat, go getting ~ depressed ~ person on the planet to be shining example there, to boost or inspire confidence, perhaps? It is not like you have not done a lot of that here. :-)

And maybe as a bit of preparation even or just consideration: What is Hope in Psychology + & Exercises & Worksheets