Hope Therapy?

I'm being sent on 'Hope Therapy' at the hospice in a few weeks.    It's designed to motivate terminally ill people to look at the bright side of their situation and motivate them off of the sofa.

I'm not sure if I should go.        I have a huge extrovert personality, the engineer in me has already sorted my priorities and bucket list and it putting it all in action.   I've dealt with all the trash of my life and I've sorted all the paperwork of my existence.

The program is very mindfulness / hope diary based - I'm not sure that's at all compatible with me - I can't imagine Mr Data taking part..   It seems aimed at people who are crushed by their diagnosis and situation.    The research all seems from over 30 years ago - mainly in 3rd world countries - not sure how well that transfers to the UK.

Unfortunately, I'm the most positive, motivated, up-beat, energised, go-getting - depressed - person on the planet.

I'm actually concerned that I will damage or break the other people in the group when they are most vulnerable.

Has anyone else heard of this program and has it helped anyone you knew?

Parents
  • Mr. Data! Brilliant. I was actually called a Vulcan once by someone who didn't know it was a bit of a family joke as my father is a bit Vulcan-y AND had pointed ears when he was young. It was supposed to be an insult, but I found myself rather complimented.

When it  comes to concepts and philosophical experiments, so long as they're intended for growth, I'm always up for the challenge. I assume adventure, so long as it's a short-term commitment. If it's free and not taxing my well being or finances, then why not. But I also second Deepthought in that, you appear to manage to help a great deal on this forum. I know it's a bit different in person, though I've been in a few group therapy situations and usually try to always point out that while I may sound clever, don't be fooled!

• I'm serious!  Smiley   I am nearer to an android.    I really am like Terminator scrolling down the list of what I should do next.      I really don't understand when people talk about their subconscious or egos or all the other therapy buzzwords - I'm just me - doing the right thing no matter what - but never for me.

I'm glad if I am of help on the forum - but I don't think I'm doing anything anyone else wouldn't do if they had the knowledge or experience.- like I've said before, most people are too bogged down with their symptoms to understand the root cause.. 

I was planning on going along to the first session to see exactly where they're going - and keeping quiet - as you say, it's free so I need to feel the temperature.

• I'm serious!  Smiley   I am nearer to an android.    I really am like Terminator scrolling down the list of what I should do next.      I really don't understand when people talk about their subconscious or egos or all the other therapy buzzwords - I'm just me - doing the right thing no matter what - but never for me.

I'm glad if I am of help on the forum - but I don't think I'm doing anything anyone else wouldn't do if they had the knowledge or experience.- like I've said before, most people are too bogged down with their symptoms to understand the root cause.. 

I was planning on going along to the first session to see exactly where they're going - and keeping quiet - as you say, it's free so I need to feel the temperature.

Children