A Random Topics Thread Where I Can Post Whatever I like Whenever I Gain Opportunity Or I Reeeally Feel Like Sharing It Upon The Internet

...This Thread "does what it says on the Tin", there. To be honest, I was just fed up of there being no 'Random Topics' Threads anymore, and I also miss the "Did anything Good Happen Today?" Threads, totally. 

So this is my own Thread... And I myself, as a Winged Were-Cat forced to live in a Human body (!), am starting this Thread... into which I shall put absolute Miscellany... So There, Nerrr.

Beware the Chaos. And Science. And lack of End Dates. Yet, As Always - Good Fortune to all who may read (When I can spare the Energy!)...

Parents
  • Is is anyone else here old enough to remember the random goodies we got in Jamboree bags? I remner some very hard 'chalky' sweets, I think the bags contained mottoes too...

• Me again, finally...

...Upon the subject of "Sweets"... May I take opportunity to ask anyone where one can still buy Sweets in the form of proper "CANDY"?
    Candy was a "Sweet", but it was chalky, usually white, and the main ingredient was Glucose -- not the fat-increasing Sugars (Levulose, Sucrose, Syrups, Etc.) that are in almost all sweet-things nowadays, including drinks. Nowadays, what is offered is (Levulose-based) Fruit Sugars, such as Boiled Sweets and Lollies/Chews/Pastilles... they are clear, tough, and last for many years.
    "Candy" may also be in Rock Candy, but this is only available 'by the seaside', not in London (where I currently am). "Sweet Cigarettes" were the main source, but are now out of favour, since this glamourises "smoking"... go figure...

• Me again, finally...

...Upon the subject of "Sweets"... May I take opportunity to ask anyone where one can still buy Sweets in the form of proper "CANDY"?
    Candy was a "Sweet", but it was chalky, usually white, and the main ingredient was Glucose -- not the fat-increasing Sugars (Levulose, Sucrose, Syrups, Etc.) that are in almost all sweet-things nowadays, including drinks. Nowadays, what is offered is (Levulose-based) Fruit Sugars, such as Boiled Sweets and Lollies/Chews/Pastilles... they are clear, tough, and last for many years.
    "Candy" may also be in Rock Candy, but this is only available 'by the seaside', not in London (where I currently am). "Sweet Cigarettes" were the main source, but are now out of favour, since this glamourises "smoking"... go figure...

Children
  • Barratt make "Candy Sticks", and yes they are identical to Sweet Cigarettes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barratt-Candy-Sticks-pack-6/dp/B00ECZF4L4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_325_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VEASQ2BB5S4BSH0WGGJ5

If you want Chalky sweets galore, go to Home Bargains. They literally have shelves full of the stuff. Makro's website too.

Also.......

https://swizzels.com

Lots of chalktasic stuff there.

If you can get to a Home Bargains though do it. It's like 1983 in there sometimes. I'm not that keen on sweets, but I do eat them occasionaly. My dad however eats shitloads, and Home Bargains sells all the old school stuff.

Home Bargains sells RUFFLE BARS! I will sit and eat quite a few of those!

• You could also buy tobacco which was in thick wax paper, open the end up and it had stringy lengths of sugary candy,,the colour was right, brown and coated in sugar. The packs were red, I also remember sweet cigarettes and chocolate ones with edible paper,,,,the shaped chocolate omg yes, pipes etc, liquorice was my favourite, even in the shape of a pipe with the top of the bowl covered in hundreds and thousands, good old Bertie bassets,,,liquorice shoelaces and red ones, milk chocolate mice being white, tutti fruiti and black jack sweets a penny sweet.

• Swwet cigarettes with red ends - I can taste them now! Do you also remember chocolate cigarettes wrapped in edible rice paper? I seem to recall smoking sets too - pressed chocolate shapes of pipe, cigar and goodness know what else in a tray! There was a more politically correct chocolate 'tool set' with spanner and hammer.

A particularly delicious form of 'chalky' candy in my opinion is Edinburgh Rock - pretty pastel colours, pleasantly subtle flavour and a truly wonderful texture. As for where candy can be obtained there are some good online sweet shops selling old-fashioned treats. We used to have a sweet shop in our village but sadly it failed to thrive and had to close in spite of my patronage.