Photo diary

Today on my walks I ended up in the village of Addingham.  A small prosperous place with a shop, several pubs and plenty of traditional cottages and posh new housing estates.

Cottages with what looks like a traditional telephone box.

But it is in fact one of the new free libraries that are springing up.  Where you can take a book and leave your own books 

The village church of course.

One of the people I spoke with.

Parks and cottages.

On the way home on this humid day, I took a bus which was full of people and it stank like a public toilet.

• The one I listened to today were the Altofts and Normanton brass band.

• Ah. I forgot.  The brass band I was talking about has a totally innocent name based on a local landscape feature.

Which is, rather unfortunately, the same as a politically incorrect word, which the forum has censored.

This is the band that I was talking about (link).

It isn't the first time this has happened. I have heard that they've had bother from venues when they're touring because of people thinking the name is deliberately provocative. Their renown as a brass band is beyond question, however!

• What a grand day out!

It's good to hear about you overcoming your social anxiety. I would find an event like the fete rather daunting if I were on my own, though if I'm with a friend, I can quite enjoy a nice little outdoor event like that.

I am rather partial to a brass band whenever I stumble across one, though. I used to play trombone back in my childhood, but nowhere near well enough for a good Yorkshire brass band. The famous Black *** Mill band are based not far from here, and I can sometimes hear their youth band practising when I'm out walking. There's also a guy at one of the farms near here that likes to go out on warm summer evenings to play his bagpipes. He's a rather good piper, too, but I can only stand bagpipes for so long before the drone pipes start getting on my nerves!

• Sunday afternoon and I'm off on my walks again.  A lot going on.  First I visited a fete in a very posh district with millionaire homes.

Nice house if one can afford it.

A lot going on at the fete.  People dressed up.

Archery event.  Something i always wanted to try.

Also barbeques, bouncy castles etc etc.

I also visited the exclusive members only sports and social club in whose grounds the event was being held.  I had a good nose around the place.  This is significant for me because until a few years ago I had such anxiety problems that I was unable to even walk into ordinary pubs.  I suffered several panic attacks.

Then a long walk through the woods until I heard music.  I followed the sound and came across another event in a park.  A traditional Yorkshire brass band.

And another little free library.

I ended my trip by visiting a small local funfair in a local park.

• I will add more.  

The first I heard of this parade was when the bus I was traveling on stopped early because the roads  ahead were closed off.  I only saw the rear end of the Otley carnival.   I should have made a video with full sound.

The day before, Friday, was very different for me.  I didn't take any photos but I was stressed out at the bus travel!

On Friday I travelled in the opposite direction, instead of going into the country and small towns & villages.  I went into the city.  And the CHAOS!

On my first trip around lunchtime I was trying to get home, I was standing at a stop with around a dozen people, and our bus just sped past completely ignoring us.  Everyone in the queue was upset because the bus looked only half full.  We all waited 15min for the next one.

Second trip, I made the mistake of travelling at a time with lots of school kids, shouting and swearing. A very loud environment.  

I visited a very multicultural local area with good shopping.  The area is very deprived with poverty everywhere.  And it's been that way for as long as I can remember.   However in the last 15 years or so the area has actually improved.  The mass immigration of recent years has given the area much more colour and all the shops are open.

It's just not very safe with ethnic gangs hanging around, groups of drunks sitting and drinking in street, prostitues where I didn't expect them.

The bus home, again didn't stop.  The live bus times electronic display showed that it was due.  But it just drove past empty with an 'out of service' display .  Next bus in 30min.  So I took a different route.  Into the city centre and the Friday evening crowds.!!!!!

• Today, quite unexpectedly I came across the Otley carnival.

...More irritating when such things happen with an SD Card low in memory, maybe...    ;-)

When parading as a "Dragon", cover yourself, unless the Dragon Parade is instead concerning what the Dragon may have eaten?...

If they have a "Local Magazine", then these Photographs would be close contender for winning any competition... Y'know.

Apart from all of that, well, I obviously have nothing at all to say... apart from pressing the Upvote and saying "Great Photos, Thanks"...(!)

• Today, quite unexpectedly I came across the Otley carnival.

The wicker musicians.

The traditional folk singers.

The ancient Egyptians

The dragons

The superheroes

And finally the cheerleaders.

• I would like to read some books from the telephone booth.

• It's a shame what's become of it since I first moved to West Yorkshire 30 odd years ago.  I lived there for a few years while I was (doing anything but) studying at Bradford Uni. For someone like me, not interested in huge events and lavish entertainment, it used to be a cheap place to live, with good amenities, excellent access to some of the most beautiful English countryside, and easy travel to two big cities if you ever needed that.

I'm glad to be out where the countryside is right on my doorstep nowadays - I couldn't stand the noise and the filthy air any more. I have to make a lot of economies to manage to live further out from any built up areas, and the poor state of public transport can be a complete pain, but I wouldn't move back down into the valley for all the tea in China.  I can get a nice view over the bowl of the city if I go up the right hill from here, and it's quite pretty on a twinkly night, but that's plenty close enough for me these days!

• I know what you mean.

I have visited Bradford recently and it has improved.  But it still lags behind other towns.

Going into Bradford by both bus and train, makes me feel as if I'm in a horror movie of a post apocalyptic wastland, inhabited by zombies and mutants.

Skull crossbones

• It's great to see some beautiful pictures of the local West Yorkshire scenery. You've reminded me that it's been far too long since I visited to any of those places; Wharfedale was a common haunt for me when I was younger. There are some very pretty spots not far from me (Airedale/Calderdale borderlands), but I get stuck in such a rut of always going to the same places for the sake of avoiding anything remotely urban on the journey (if you've ever been stuck in Bradford Interchange of an evening, you'll know what I mean!)

• Thanks.

Today is a nice sunny day for a walk.  But I have a meeting scheduled with the HR people from my employer to discuss my sick leave and return to work.

I was planning another walk tomorrow with the ramblers association in the Yorkshire dales.

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/go-walking/find-a-walk-or-route/walk-detail.aspx?walkID=3956706

But the BBC have put out a weather warning about unseasonable strong winds and gales.  And I don't want to be out in the open in the middle of nowhere in gale force winds.  So ????

• Ineffable Photography, as always.

(*Waaah! Sniffle*)

• A few from last week's trip.

The sun came out so I travelled.

In Harrogate I came across a war memorial in a wooded park.

Then onto Ripon and it's cathedral.  First visit in three years.

Nice evening sunlight.

I tried out the antique chairs inside the cathedral.  Did bishops of years gone bye ever sit in this.?

• Today I travelled as far as Ripon.  I had one 'funny'! moment in Ripon cathedral, when I misread a sign.  I read that it was pointing to Satan's crypt!  It actually said the Saxon crypt.

• Greetings Mr.Math-Photographer-Sir. This is my finally commenting upon this Thread... kind of what I said upon the previous Photography Thread(s)...

Excellent Photographs. NAS, see us here, ask us. Calender, please.

• Today's walk from the town of Otley.

It's making a big deal of it's Chippendale connection.

A couple of traditional cottages.  I wish I could afford to live here.

It's not just sheep they farm here.

I find the public footpath entrance and start climbing the hill through the forest.

A nice view of the villages below.

I only came across a few people in the forest today, but they all were friendly and said hello.

Tomorrow morning it's my appointment at the citizens advice bureau.  I'm dreading it.  Then dealing with my new caseworker who's only a trainee and not familiar with my long term problems.

• I love your photo diary too. Will you keep it going? I do hope so. You live in a beautiful place.

• I'm on one of my walks now.  On the Chevin country park overlooking Otley.

I started my journey at a far side that I haven't visited before and now I've arrived in a section I visited last week.  So back to familiar land.  Some very nice views of the towns and villages below.

• Hello Robert. I love your photo diary. Will you keep it going? I do hope so.  You live in a beautiful place.

I believe that if you have a disability they can't refuse you the use of the toilet.