Anxiety is getting worse since Autism diagnosis

AS per subject

I can't seem to stop that anxious feeling in my stomach, it seems it has gotten worse since I was confirmed as Autistic 2 weeks ago, I am on 90mg Duloxetine and I don't know why it's getting worse, it only stops when I'm sleeping but when I wake up, it returns.

Is this normal after a confirmed diagnosis, to be fair, all my life I was always depressed and very rarely anxious but since the Pandemic and current work issues, my anxiety seems to be playing a more prominent role in my life than it was before.

• Thank you Bunny.

• Dear Craig, 

Congratulations on your diagnosis! I can see you have had some really helpful replies from other community members.

You may like to have a look at the mental health section of our website which has useful links to information and advice about a range of mental health issues: www.autism.org.uk/.../mental-health  

The following information may be of particular interest:

If you feel that you might need some support with your mental health, you can find advice and information on how to go about seeking help, including links to other resources and details of helplines and listening support services, here: www.autism.org.uk/.../seeking-help. 

Kind Regards,

Rosie Mod

• Is this normal after a confirmed diagnosis

Congratulations on your diagnosis!

Yes, it can be entirely normal for us - especially as late-diagnosed adults - to feel more emotionally dysregulated in the period following our diagnosis than we did beforehand. There's some great info about that here:

Common reactions to receiving an autism diagnosis

For me, my diagnosis turned out to be much more of a starting point than a solution-rich conclusion. It's a journey - and my post-diagnosis reactions settled down a lot after a few months.

More generally, there's a lot of information here that you might also find helpful, perhaps including to help lessen your anxiety:

After diagnosis

I'd also suggest speaking with your GP if you're concerned that you might need some more help with your anxiety.

All the best! 

• I think I understand how you feel, I've felt a gnawing anxiety since I'd been diagnosed in April. I also felt depressed a lot in my life (I didn't realise I was autistic until diagnosed) - not knowing why I struggled so much. Anxiety has always been there, but I've never felt it so much as in recent years. I haven't told my work about my Autism - and can't bring myself to, so that's probably part of what's elevating it. Working through the pandemic - I had to work online whereas before I was among people - was just awful. I think those recent, intense feelings are nearer the surface than they used to be, for me anyway, because of that horrible time and also because of getting to grips with the diagnosis.

• I think suffered a burn-out about 10 years ago and never really recovered. Everyday those straws just build up. One day "that straw" will show up.

• I think the straw that broke the camel's 'long-term' back happened a few years ago. I think short term, that it happens too. Debbie posted an article about the spoons metaphor. I think I used to have a lot more spoons per day than I do now.

• Do you ever get the feeling like the straw that broke the camels back is just around the corner. 

• I have been gradually getting more anxious as I have got older. Like it has been building up and exploded before my diagnosis.

I don't think my diagnosis has helped with anxiety just yet. But I hope as I come to terms with it and work out my triggers more specifically (diagnosis will help with that because now I am on the look out in a self analysis way), that this will easy... Slightly...

• For me it was like a lightbulb moment, I've always been a "square peg" but at least I now know why. 

We are all different. Have you spoken to your GP or MH people about adjusting your meds if you're not finding them effective, with duloxetine they can increase that dose quite a bit or switch it for something else entirely.

Have you spoken to anyone regarding your diagnosis. I had an 8 week session with a phycologist and got everything out in the open, I found that beneficial.

Easy to say and very difficult to do, try and find some quiet time, listen to some music, read a book, walk in the countryside, stay away from social media, news media etc. Trying not to overthink things is difficult, distraction is better.

A diagnosis doesn't define you, it's just another label that you don't have to share with the world.

Good luck and take care 

• The older we get, the more time-aware we become. Thus, we get anxious.

Every minute seems like an eternity. 

Chamomile tea is a good way to settle down.