Anxiety is getting worse since Autism diagnosis

AS per subject

I can't seem to stop that anxious feeling in my stomach, it seems it has gotten worse since I was confirmed as Autistic 2 weeks ago, I am on 90mg Duloxetine and I don't know why it's getting worse, it only stops when I'm sleeping but when I wake up, it returns.

Is this normal after a confirmed diagnosis, to be fair, all my life I was always depressed and very rarely anxious but since the Pandemic and current work issues, my anxiety seems to be playing a more prominent role in my life than it was before.

Parents
  • Is this normal after a confirmed diagnosis

Congratulations on your diagnosis!

Yes, it can be entirely normal for us - especially as late-diagnosed adults - to feel more emotionally dysregulated in the period following our diagnosis than we did beforehand. There's some great info about that here:

Common reactions to receiving an autism diagnosis

For me, my diagnosis turned out to be much more of a starting point than a solution-rich conclusion. It's a journey - and my post-diagnosis reactions settled down a lot after a few months.

More generally, there's a lot of information here that you might also find helpful, perhaps including to help lessen your anxiety:

After diagnosis

I'd also suggest speaking with your GP if you're concerned that you might need some more help with your anxiety.

All the best! 

• Is this normal after a confirmed diagnosis

Congratulations on your diagnosis!

Yes, it can be entirely normal for us - especially as late-diagnosed adults - to feel more emotionally dysregulated in the period following our diagnosis than we did beforehand. There's some great info about that here:

Common reactions to receiving an autism diagnosis

For me, my diagnosis turned out to be much more of a starting point than a solution-rich conclusion. It's a journey - and my post-diagnosis reactions settled down a lot after a few months.

More generally, there's a lot of information here that you might also find helpful, perhaps including to help lessen your anxiety:

After diagnosis

I'd also suggest speaking with your GP if you're concerned that you might need some more help with your anxiety.

All the best! 

Children