Night Owls thread

This a thread for a people who are still awake at night and feeling lonely.  You can chat here.

Parents
  • I guess the lullably worked.... everyone tucked in and sawin' logs?

• everyone tucked in and sawin' logs?

I'm back in after an afternoon of drilling more pipes out of walls (the plumbing refit just extended to cover the whole bathroom) and being soaked when the building management told me they had shut the water main off when they hadn't - working soaked to the bone is not much fun, but at least it was a hot day so I coud quietly steam while I worked.

I get to go tool shopping tomorrow (managed to kill my breaker drill unfortunately) which is becoming a new special interest - so many amazing tools out there with the ability to remove your fingers in the blink of an eye!

Time for a long 2 day rest before tackling another demolition project in another flat on Monday/Tueday - I feel like Wreck-It-Ralph these days.

What's new in the Pacific region today?

• wind, scattered clouds. ending protracted projects. starting plans for a long over due museum therapy to San Fransisco. Lots of practical busy- ness that will free me up for a full day of writing tomorrow! Japanese study and language exchange prep at the moment. 

how about you? Reclining back like Saint George after slaying the dragons of bad plumbing?

• wind, scattered clouds. ending protracted projects. starting plans for a long over due museum therapy to San Fransisco. Lots of practical busy- ness that will free me up for a full day of writing tomorrow! Japanese study and language exchange prep at the moment. 

how about you? Reclining back like Saint George after slaying the dragons of bad plumbing?

Children
  • nite nite now

I'll be up for a few hours still - shopping online for power tools is takes a lot of time to get the right product available in this country with a decent warranty anda reliable seller.

I'll be a few £k lighter by the end of the evening but with lots of new ways to loose fingers and/or eyes.

It is an odd thing that males tend to have with power tools - I wonder if it is some sort of phallic symbolism for us. I actually need them for demolishing walls, cutting hundreds of parquets flooring blocks and planing doors to fit in door frames.

Well that is my excuse anyway.

•  I'm off. tucking you in.. there there..

nite nite now.

• perhaps it is the reason I have always found the partnership thing hard. My priorities has always been to my work.

I love the image of your space you 'painted' . thanks. I miss my studio! I would lov to replicate it and live in t again.

• That is cool.

My old spare room (pre-marriage) used to be full of old computers, monitors and printers in stages of repair or cannibalism.

The basement was full of old motorbike parts and the outhouse full of motorbikes - then marriage happens and you no longer have time for hobbies. Sigh, but that is the price to pay for being happy in different ways I suppose.

• and the effort rewarded feeling- priceless! I love that feeling. Japanese got easier once I "cracked the code". It just blossomed into understanding one day. watching original language anime helped enormously!

• I used to love taking the old tv sets apart and turning them into junk art. some became cubbyholes with colorful decoupage. or little dioramas. There used to always be a pile of them at the trash bin, often with huge flat screen flats of cardboard, another favorite surface to work on. memories today.. lots of them.

I also loved to turn old parabolics into bird baths and feeders too, with inner dryer cylinders for bases. Trash used to be so much fun.

Here's a coupleof picture of my old studio.

• I did stop in for some beers and bar snacks after selling a prehistoric TV I got in a flat we purchased - odd the little things that bring pleasure.

I saved it from the landfill, probably brought happiness to someone to get a vintage TV and got to chill on a balmy evening supping ice cold beer with deep fried pork crackling and skewers of grilled meats.

Life can be good sometimes.

All the aches, pains and scratches fade with the feeling of a job well done (the pipe archaeology today) and the prospect of a good nights sleep is the icing on the cake.

I did start learning Japanese about 10 years ago for my first trip to Japan but found it so alien that I had a real problem wrapping my head around more than simple phrases.