Night Owls thread

This a thread for a people who are still awake at night and feeling lonely.  You can chat here.

Parents
  • Another night in.  How are the Night Owls?

• We were talking about travel plans yesterday - what is your "bucket list" of far away places to see in this life?

• Dublin, Tokyo, New York, Los Angeles.  

• Great list. Peru appeals to me.  I read some William S Burroughs and often he is travelling in that part of the world.  About a century ago now.  Also he lived in Mexico City for a while.

• Sure.  I think it is the difference between being a tourist, a visitor and a traveller.

Some locations just demand a little better upfront research and planning / establishing a couple of advance points of contact or regroup refuge - to enable you to be bold with your travels ...but aware of your options if things turn up too tough - and being prepared to be observant, thoughful if necessary, and act upon your instinct to make your own decision and take the appropriate red-direct action.  I have found this approach facilitates experiencing people, cultures and locations in a more direct fashion.  It is not about guidebooks and tours - it can be safer to step off that treadmill and just show respect to your surroundings.  

• Each day in San Francisco you can experience the influence of different communities across it's history

I'm inclined to go to the source for a lot of the influences these days - I've been to Mexico quite a few times (always with work) and got to try a lot of the local cuisine - some amazing stuff although I'm not such a big fan of how much they use sour flavours so much.

They are very creative and have awesome dishes so well worth a visit I would say.

I also got to climb the pyramids of the sun and moon when I was there - an awesome experience.

It did feel quite dangerous at times though and I didn't get to go to the more down to earth parts of town but I hope to change that at some stage.

Maybe a road trip through South and Central America could be on the cards. I mean, what could possibly go wrong? Wink

• Each day in San Francisco you can experience the influence of different communities across it's history

I'm inclined to go to the source for a lot of the influences these days - I've been to Mexico quite a few times (always with work) and got to try a lot of the local cuisine - some amazing stuff although I'm not such a big fan of how much they use sour flavours so much.

They are very creative and have awesome dishes so well worth a visit I would say.

I also got to climb the pyramids of the sun and moon when I was there - an awesome experience.

It did feel quite dangerous at times though and I didn't get to go to the more down to earth parts of town but I hope to change that at some stage.

Maybe a road trip through South and Central America could be on the cards. I mean, what could possibly go wrong? Wink

Children
  • Sure.  I think it is the difference between being a tourist, a visitor and a traveller.

Some locations just demand a little better upfront research and planning / establishing a couple of advance points of contact or regroup refuge - to enable you to be bold with your travels ...but aware of your options if things turn up too tough - and being prepared to be observant, thoughful if necessary, and act upon your instinct to make your own decision and take the appropriate red-direct action.  I have found this approach facilitates experiencing people, cultures and locations in a more direct fashion.  It is not about guidebooks and tours - it can be safer to step off that treadmill and just show respect to your surroundings.