What life hacks have you discovered that have helped you with your autism?

from executive dysfunction hacks to social hacks. It's an open-ended question.

• Please forgive me if I’m ‘out of turn,

Of course not Roy Slight smile

I’ve noticed your work situation isn’t helping you. Please take care and don’t end up in a burnout.

Yes, I'm thinking the same right now. This term is the longest, I could do with it ending now! 

I'm more self-aware than I was last time I worked. I was trying to keep up too, thinking it was normal to feel so drained all the time. I was often unwell, I think now because I was constantly exhausted from having to be 'on' all the time. 

Perhaps I can recharge at Christmas Slight smile

• You are welcome! I hope this acronym helps you!

• When I finally realised I’m autistic, at first I was euphoric, I was then angry with myself for not realising why I was different sooner. afterwards was a massive burnout, what I did was to stop working full time, I realised how I had tried to be neurotypical and how much it had damaged me. Trying to keep all the plates spinning was too much, I often need solitude and to focus on my own projects. Please forgive me if I’m ‘out of turn,’ I’ve noticed your work situation isn’t helping you. Please take care and don’t end up in a burnout.

• You might find this acronym useful when you feel overwhelmed or emotional and you don’t know why:

H - hunger 

A - angry 

L - lonely 

T - tired

That's good, I will try to remember it - thanks for posting! Slight smile

• Realising the vital importance of space and solitude to keep me from burnout. 

I like solitude too!

• Realising the vital importance of space and solitude to keep me from burnout. 

Accepting that it's fine to eat the same foods every day, so long as they're nutritionally good. 

Or ice cream... Slight smile

Knowing that my energy is on a metaphorical meter - when it's empty, that's it. It needs to be recharged - no going into the red. 

Some life interactions will cost more than others. 

• I only just learned 'making biscuits' now.

Yes, Hope does that when she's around me.

• Fun factoid, the verb for the making biscuits thing is "pogging" I was told by a guy with six cats. 

• Hi You might find this acronym useful when you feel overwhelmed or emotional and you don’t know why:

H - hunger 

A - angry 

L - lonely 

T - tired

You can ask yourself if any these things listed above are unmet needs and then once they are met you can hopefully feel more regulated.

Also here is a great graphic about task switching which you might find helpful for your executive functioning differences:

https://eisforerin.com/2015/08/10/tendril-theory/

The single most meaningful difference I made is belonging to an autistic community such as this one! Absolutely made such a huge difference to my mental health. 

I think learning about my autistic profile has also been really helpful for my sense of identity, purpose and ability to self advocate.

Therefore building boundaries is also really important but in order to understand what your boundaries are, you might need to learn more about your autistic experience, in which case this link may help:

https://aucademy.co.uk/

Below is a brilliant video about how to set boundaries by Aucademy:

Building boundaries:

https://www.youtube.com/live/H1uTVDDmUls?si=3tjZUkcF8huGUVF8

I hope this helps!

• If like me you struggle with time management, give yourself a half hour window of arrival when meeting up with someone.

If like me you struggle with inertia and staring into space, I've recently started to get myself going a bit by asking myself "what do I need" 

• Several times a day my cat will try to pin me to a chair or bed then have a long snooze on me. He usually initiates this by making biscuits on my lap and purring to me. It’s impossible not to be cheered up and relaxed by it.

• Just being myself more. Since I was diagnosed, I've gone all out with that a bit more and most people seem fine with it. Always been the "eccentric" one anyway, so why not?

Otherwise, I've found these help with various other aspects:

• Walking and pacing (stimming)
    • Juggling as stress relief
    • Drinking lots of tea
    • Escapism (reading, films, video games)
    • Creativity

The thing about creative projects is you have total control over them. No one else influences them except you, so it's fabulous as an autistic person to have that control over it.

• That last point is doubleplusgood! 

When my cat snuggles up next to my leg in a certain way it feels just like I've smoked a bowl of opium, including the inability/sever reluctance to move.

Being able to get that feeling without the hassle, and not having to worry about physical withdrawal symptoms when you (for example) have to go away for a few days to see a friend is about as god as a "mood modifier" gets. And that's just a tiny bit of what a cat will give you.

• Noise cancelling headphones
    • Loop earplugs
    • A million lists, notes and spreadsheets on my phone and laptop
    • Silent alarms on my Apple Watch to wake me up in the morning 
    • Lots of reminders on my phone 
    • Fidget toys (therapy putty is my favourite)
    • Pacing during meeting and phone calls
    • Having a cat (he calms me down)
  • I’ve learned to stop masking so much, it’s not a life hack to be actually you, embrace autism. You was born with it, you will die with it. The middle bit is the hardest part, sometimes push your comfort zone, but know when to look after yourself.

• Isperg, Debbie, Out of Step, Deepthought, Autonomistic, Plastic.........and a whole host of others.

• 1. Reducing the amount of audio processing I need to do sometimes.

The use of ear defenders if possible, is a better idea that the "scream at partner/child to shut up and let me think" method. 

2. Cannabis.

3. Growing the skill of being much nicer than people warrant, and practicing as much as possible.

• Lists. If I need to go out to a supermarket or town, I write a list so I don't forget what I went for and wander aimlessly. It also means I can leave when all the tasks on the list are done. 

Being a teacher for me is a great life hack as I get guaranteed downtime every 6 weeks or so, and I relate better with kids than adults sometimes. Plus lots of the kids I work with are autistic, which helps.

• I set alarms on my phone all the time, with a day of the week if there is something not on the day.  I put what the alarm is for so that I do not miss anything important.

I also use "Reminders" app on my phone, which again can have alarms set as well as priority.  I give myself an admin day when I go though the task list.  It is helpful as if something comes to my mind I can put it in there ready for admin day.

I have a hair bobble that I put on the handle of my front door to remind me that I need to take something with me.  I have hooks in the porch and hang a bag on one of them in which I place items that need to go out of the house e.g. mail.  Once I have taken the item to where it needs to be the bobble goes back on a spare hook until it is needed again.

What are some of yours Brie?