Noise and Sound Problems

If your child (or one in your care) complains about noises or sound, this is a quick summary of sound levels, sound frequencies and how it affects human health: https://decibelpro.app/blog/can-sound-kill-you/

As a note: 70dB to 85dB is a non-stop level in public spaces currently. A 2 hour movie can often reach 90 - 95 if not louder. 

110-124dB is the level of new hand dryers in public loos.

Electric vehicles, scooters and LEDs resonate at a piercing high frequency: wear ear plugs and defenders when near the streets - you cannot get your hearing back!

• Thank you so much, I really appreciate it Grinning

• I'm so sorry to hear this. I want to send a great big non-invasive digital hug. 

• Maybe one way to make travel more Autism friendly is that if you have the sunflower lanyard and if we can prove our Autism in some other way, we should get a free automatic upgrade to First Class on all public transport, lounges, etc in the U.K. - travelling on the ferries (and even flying) between Manchester, Chester, Holyhead, Dublin, I’ve suggested this to all the companies involved, as frankly given the hassle involved that we have to deal with all the time, we deserve to be in First Class 

• I’ve always considered whistling simply plain rude and shows that they have no class, especially after 2000 

• I could barely stand live concerts (although I made an exception for Kylie lol) and it’s one reason I stopped going out to gay clubs because of the noise levels - I heard later on that hearing loss is a big problem for many ex-clubbers - I can’t stand crowds despite working in a busy city centre supermarket for 17 years and I hate crowded trains/trams - screaming kids drive me insane as do high-spirited teenagers messing about 

• I don't know what my pain level is, just that I would not go into a nightclub! Possibly would struggle to be able to, one time I was unable to walk into a hall with loud musicians, it felt like the sound was a wall I could not walk past a certain point. Loud vehicles passing make me flinch and some jets flew over a recent cycle ride, I had to stop and put my hands over my ears.

I also no longer to the cinema, mostly due to sound levels, but also the seats ore not comfortable and last time I went it was too cold. I would far rather wait until I can watch a film on my TV in the comfort of my own home!

• Gosh, yes, little dogs with high-pitched yappy barks drive me mad. I have a dog of my own but he's a greyhound- they tend to be very quiet so unless he's feeling particularly put out by something (in which case he honks like a goose) he's very easy to live with!

• Living in a Manchester council property for over 20 years long before my diagnosis, the general noise and ASB which I’d reported to the council over the years, the reports got nowhere because of the “perception of noise” and I just had to learn to live with it (easier said than done) as noises outside the flat of parents screaming at screaming kids, barking dogs, arguments outside, etc, noise-cancelling Bluetooth headphones have been a boon - I don’t use them on TfW trains to Holyhead or on Metrolink trams in case I miss my stop, the same with leaving Holyhead or Dublin on the Ulysses and Dublin Swift ferry (Irish Ferries) with safety announcements across the Irish Sea (love the peace and quiet of the Club Class Lounge) - the LUAS trams, DART trains, Irish Rail, Bus Éireann, Transport for Ireland and Dublin Bus all have these announcements now, but at least they have screens to see the same info - when I do go back home, I especially love the fact that Irish Rail makes the announcements in my native Irish Gaelic as well as in English, as I’m immensely proud of my Irish cultural heritage and I detest the “tack” that puts my homeland in a bad light, as I love things representing my home country that are timeless, classy, romantic and elegant 

• I work in a noisy environment, where some days are better than others. Today wasn't one of the better days. Resulting in me not speaking for just over 2 hours. Unfortunately due to the job role, ear defenders or ear plugs are not appropriate. 

• Part of why I'm posting this is for parents to recognise that we don't ever dull our senses. Our Sense Perception exists to help humans calculate what is Dangerous. For most non-autistics, there is an ability to dull ones sense-perception for the sake of fitting in or not being judged, but that means one is incurring Potential Damage without noticing, and this is good for some situations, but not when it comes to sensory assault. 

The WHO has created reasonable limits and for some reason over the last so many years, major corporations don't seem to bother to comply - or aren't being held accountable!

We all may have various other sound sensitives beyond what is dangerous to human health, and these are fun and interesting! Some rather bothersome.

But it's important to be specific about Danger vs Personal preference. And when it comes to sound, in modern society, there is FAR too much at risk.

This is from The Times: www.thetimes.co.uk/.../hearing-loss-dementia-and-why-you-should-get-your-ears-checked-j7t6sbp70

"The World Health Organisation has produced safe listening guidelines for people, including those using headphones. At anything up to 60dB (normal conversation) you can listen as long as you like. Turn it up to 85dB and the safe limit is about 12 hours a week. Increase it to 110dB (the loudest many personal devices will go) and it drops to just two and a half minutes a week. And bear in mind this will vary depending on what else you are exposed to across the week. So if you spend your weekends riding a motorbike (without earplugs) you will need to turn the volume down even more on your commute.

Sadly awareness of the hazards of exposure to loud sounds has only come to the fore relatively recently, and by the time most of us realise the error of our ways, it is too late. Presbycusis is not reversible. In 1979 my hearing was probably damaged after just 15 minutes of getting to the front of the crowd at that rock concert. And once the damage is done, the only option is to correct any loss using an aid(s) where appropriate. However, people often wait years before seeking help (ten years on average, according to the RNID), putting them at risk of other complications beyond marital arguments about mumbling. So if you are struggling, have your hearing checked."

• I'm in pain at 90, even lower. I used to go to the movies with ear plugs in. Now I just don't go unless it's the afternoon kids screening.

• Whistling enrages me. I feel bad about it because whistlers are usually just trying to express their good mood and share it with the world a little, but it hits my ears and brain in an extremely unpleasant, almost painful, way. 

• I have suffered from extreme noise sensitivity throughout my life and it seems to be getting worse as I age. Thanks for the link. I didn't realise how harmful sound actually is to human health and my body has clearly been trying to protect me from harm.

The modern hand dryers in public loos are simply torture. Obviously I don't go near them myself but it is impossible to avoid the noise of others using them. 

I would echo the above comments about dogs. Those little yappy ones are the bane of my existence! Since covid they seem to be everywhere with their incessant high pitched barking Angry The smaller the dog the worse the bark in my experience.

• Noise has always been a massive problem for me, volume yes, but it’s type too, and very significantly controll (well lack of to be precise). Really bad ones for me include: dogs, other people’s music, coffee grinders and milk shooters in cafes, everything in supermarkets, the adverts on Classic FM (which I never listen to now because of despite loving the music), dogs, dogs, and dogs (especially the hideous Staffie cross next door) 

• A chart in there claims 140db is the level of pain! Not the autistic level of pain! I certainly find 110db painful, possibly lower.

I haven't been in a public loo since covid, sounds like that's just as well, I found many hand dryers too loud even then, am angry if new ones are even louder! Totally unnecessary.

• handdryiers are horribly noisy. Something I realised about a year ago: even though we can’t avoid others using them there’s no need to inflict it on ourselves when alone. What I do now in the staff toilets is wash my hands (obviously!), then over the sink squeeze one hand from the wrist to the fingertips. Then repeat for the other hand. Result: about as dry as with the drier but soundless. 

• I live in a flat.  I find the following noises very annoying because I can't do anything about them.

1. Dog barking inside another flat.
    2. Washing machine spinning in a neighbouring flat.
  • I hate those hand dryers. Also I had to replace my hair dryer when it stopped working during the pandemic so picked one online. I rarely use the highest setting as it is too loud.