Noise and Sound Problems

If your child (or one in your care) complains about noises or sound, this is a quick summary of sound levels, sound frequencies and how it affects human health: https://decibelpro.app/blog/can-sound-kill-you/

As a note: 70dB to 85dB is a non-stop level in public spaces currently. A 2 hour movie can often reach 90 - 95 if not louder. 

110-124dB is the level of new hand dryers in public loos.

Electric vehicles, scooters and LEDs resonate at a piercing high frequency: wear ear plugs and defenders when near the streets - you cannot get your hearing back!

Parents
  • Noise has always been a massive problem for me, volume yes, but it’s type too, and very significantly controll (well lack of to be precise). Really bad ones for me include: dogs, other people’s music, coffee grinders and milk shooters in cafes, everything in supermarkets, the adverts on Classic FM (which I never listen to now because of despite loving the music), dogs, dogs, and dogs (especially the hideous Staffie cross next door) 

• Living in a Manchester council property for over 20 years long before my diagnosis, the general noise and ASB which I’d reported to the council over the years, the reports got nowhere because of the “perception of noise” and I just had to learn to live with it (easier said than done) as noises outside the flat of parents screaming at screaming kids, barking dogs, arguments outside, etc, noise-cancelling Bluetooth headphones have been a boon - I don’t use them on TfW trains to Holyhead or on Metrolink trams in case I miss my stop, the same with leaving Holyhead or Dublin on the Ulysses and Dublin Swift ferry (Irish Ferries) with safety announcements across the Irish Sea (love the peace and quiet of the Club Class Lounge) - the LUAS trams, DART trains, Irish Rail, Bus Éireann, Transport for Ireland and Dublin Bus all have these announcements now, but at least they have screens to see the same info - when I do go back home, I especially love the fact that Irish Rail makes the announcements in my native Irish Gaelic as well as in English, as I’m immensely proud of my Irish cultural heritage and I detest the “tack” that puts my homeland in a bad light, as I love things representing my home country that are timeless, classy, romantic and elegant 

• Living in a Manchester council property for over 20 years long before my diagnosis, the general noise and ASB which I’d reported to the council over the years, the reports got nowhere because of the “perception of noise” and I just had to learn to live with it (easier said than done) as noises outside the flat of parents screaming at screaming kids, barking dogs, arguments outside, etc, noise-cancelling Bluetooth headphones have been a boon - I don’t use them on TfW trains to Holyhead or on Metrolink trams in case I miss my stop, the same with leaving Holyhead or Dublin on the Ulysses and Dublin Swift ferry (Irish Ferries) with safety announcements across the Irish Sea (love the peace and quiet of the Club Class Lounge) - the LUAS trams, DART trains, Irish Rail, Bus Éireann, Transport for Ireland and Dublin Bus all have these announcements now, but at least they have screens to see the same info - when I do go back home, I especially love the fact that Irish Rail makes the announcements in my native Irish Gaelic as well as in English, as I’m immensely proud of my Irish cultural heritage and I detest the “tack” that puts my homeland in a bad light, as I love things representing my home country that are timeless, classy, romantic and elegant 

Children
No Data