Hello, I'm new

just wanted to say Hi as I registered myself here today. 
Not sure how to start here, but I guess I'll find a lot to read here and possible some advice for me as an adult on the spectrum.

Parents
  • Hello,

I am also new, I am in my 30s, a male! I have read a lot about Asperger's syndrome and I think I have it.

I'm struggling to explain what's going on in my head in words when talking. It is easier for me to do in writing.

I'm avoiding phone calls as much as I can. It is so upsetting that most of companies want to contact them by phone but it is so difficult for me. It is much easier for me to use e-mails, SMS, letters.

I would be interested to find a friend who has similar difficulties.

• Hi California, 

welcome here :) 
    As Daniel said, have a look at the AQ Test and possible talk to your GP about it.

Writing is so much easier for me, I can completely understand you! I don't like chatting to people face to face very much, especially, when I don't know them, or when I am uncomfortable with them.
    I don't like being on the phone, as I pick up every little noise. I often don't understand the person on the other end. When I talk to people I look at their mouth, to see what they say. 

And again I agree with Daniel, nice to meet you here :)

• I also don't like chatting to people face to face very much, especially, when I don't know them, or when I am uncomfortable with them.
    I don't like being on the phone, as I also pick up every little noise. I often don't understand the person on the other end and when this happens I get very nervous and panic. However, when I talk to people I do not look at them usually. I look everywhere else. I find it very difficult to look in somebody eyes.

I am now adult, but in school I was experiencing a lot of problems and I could not understand why my life was so difficult but now Aspergers explain everything. I find this so relieving. Everything makes sense now.

• Hi California.

I find that writing a script works well.

I have even writen flow diagrams based on what answers I might get, so the conversation has a structure before it begins. I find this helps keep me on track, and also helps me make sureI get what I need out of a call without getting side tracked (Which is pretty easy!)

I can always send you an example of the one I use when phoning my internet provider Slight smile

• Those who do not like phones, how do you manage when you really need to call somewhere? I really struggle with this! Sometimes, I find other ways. Insist on using e-mails. Sometimes, I send letters.

But often people want to speak to me over the phone and that sends me into panic mode.

• You're welcome. I wasn't sure about wearing them. And maybe I can't wear them every time. I have to find out. Tomorrow is the next chance. I have to go back again.

It is a bit of a vicious circle sometimes.  
    I think you will find a lot of suggestions and maybe something what works for you. Sometimes the easiest things are helpful (I use very smooth little stones from the beach, I have smooth sea glass here, a pompom etc various things, they don't have to cost a fortune, they just have to make you comfortable for the moment you need it)   

• Thank you for suggesting earplugs. I do not really like them. I like more headphones.

Everything about festivals and music makes me uncomfortable and stresses me. I have not tried yet anything like stress balls or something similar but I will look into this. Thank you very much!

It is interesting! I usually only listen when someone is saying something! Of course, I miss body language but that is OK!

I also feel very uncomfortable when somebody is behind and/or is moving behind me. I am always afraid that somebody might do something to me from behind.

I, probably, could also look my partner in the eyes. I, probably, would even enjoy it. But I have not had a partner in my life. So, do not really know. But would love someone who would understand me.

• Thank you for suggesting earplugs. I do not really like them. I like more headphones.

Everything about festivals and music makes me uncomfortable and stresses me. I have not tried yet anything like stress balls or something similar but I will look into this. Thank you very much!

It is interesting! I usually only listen when someone is saying something! Of course, I miss body language but that is OK!

I also feel very uncomfortable when somebody is behind and/or is moving behind me. I am always afraid that somebody might do something to me from behind.

I, probably, could also look my partner in the eyes. I, probably, would even enjoy it. But I have not had a partner in my life. So, do not really know. But would love someone who would understand me.

Children
  • Hi California.

I find that writing a script works well.

I have even writen flow diagrams based on what answers I might get, so the conversation has a structure before it begins. I find this helps keep me on track, and also helps me make sureI get what I need out of a call without getting side tracked (Which is pretty easy!)

I can always send you an example of the one I use when phoning my internet provider Slight smile

• Those who do not like phones, how do you manage when you really need to call somewhere? I really struggle with this! Sometimes, I find other ways. Insist on using e-mails. Sometimes, I send letters.

But often people want to speak to me over the phone and that sends me into panic mode.

• You're welcome. I wasn't sure about wearing them. And maybe I can't wear them every time. I have to find out. Tomorrow is the next chance. I have to go back again.

It is a bit of a vicious circle sometimes.  
    I think you will find a lot of suggestions and maybe something what works for you. Sometimes the easiest things are helpful (I use very smooth little stones from the beach, I have smooth sea glass here, a pompom etc various things, they don't have to cost a fortune, they just have to make you comfortable for the moment you need it)