Hello.

Hi there, my name is Danny.

I'm an autistic adult, I enjoy movies, restoring classic cars and listening to cool music. I've been doing up this really cool Austin Princess I bought before Christmas. I love classics! 

This year I'm hoping will be a good one. I'm working with young children at a school but I have found it difficult, I'm hoping it will get easier the more I do.

Blooming hope so anyway!

I really wish there was more support for autistic adults but I guess that's what sites like this are for so we can be there for each other when needed.

Look forward to meeting you all and helping offer support if the occasion arises.

Parents
  • Hi Danny!

Welcome to your autistic community!

You are absolutely right in that there is very little support for our community in a formal way anyway that’s one of the reasons why finding your autistic tribe is so important. I hope you soon feel like you belong here, I certainly do!

Your passion for restoring cars seems cool, what project are you planning next?

I hope your job does get easier for you, it can take a while to acclimatise to the chaos that is the early years setting or school in general.

• Hi thanks. 

I'm glad you feel you belong here, I'm hoping it will be the same for me in the end as I've never really fit in anywhere before. Being autistic can be really lonely at times.

I've always loved classic cars, they are my special interest. My uncle used to work on classic cars in a Vauxhall garage, I think that's where my interest comes from. For my next project I'm hoping to get a Morris Traveller.

What's your interests and special interest? If you're ok to share. No problem if not.

Thanks I'm hoping it will be easier soon. So far the biggest problem has been the noise it can be really overwhelming sometimes.

• You are so welcome! This autistic community is very supportive and welcoming, you are far from alone!

Your interest in cars runs in the family then, what does a Morris Traveller look like?

Here is a discussion entitled ‘Classic Cars Appreciation ‘ which you may enjoy. It’s about 10 months old but hopefully it will give you an indication that some of your neurokin share your interests:

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/miscellaneous-and-chat/31475/classic-cars-appreciation

My dedicated interest is our autistic experiences and culture, I love being autistic and love learning more about the diversity of experiences within our community!

So far the biggest problem has been the noise it can be really overwhelming sometimes.

Yes absolutely I can completely understand that, do you get an opportunity to seek solitude or some quiet time during your day? If not, would you feel comfortable asking your employer about this?

• You are so welcome! This autistic community is very supportive and welcoming, you are far from alone!

Your interest in cars runs in the family then, what does a Morris Traveller look like?

Here is a discussion entitled ‘Classic Cars Appreciation ‘ which you may enjoy. It’s about 10 months old but hopefully it will give you an indication that some of your neurokin share your interests:

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/miscellaneous-and-chat/31475/classic-cars-appreciation

My dedicated interest is our autistic experiences and culture, I love being autistic and love learning more about the diversity of experiences within our community!

So far the biggest problem has been the noise it can be really overwhelming sometimes.

Yes absolutely I can completely understand that, do you get an opportunity to seek solitude or some quiet time during your day? If not, would you feel comfortable asking your employer about this?

Children
  • Thank you! Yes when I was looking around here it looked like a good fun community, I'm hoping I'll settle all right. Been lucky to meet you straight off the bat. Thanks for being so welcoming!

You are so welcome! I hope you soon settle in too, we are here for you.

Very cool car, I completely understand why you want one yourself! Given you like cars like that and restoration, have you watched the show Car SOS?

That's a really cool interest and very rewarding too I bet! I have an interest in autism as well, our history and ways to hopefully grow better support. I've been in touch with my mp trying to get things improved.

It’s so cool that we have mutual interests! I particularly love the autistic led education platform called Aucademy which hosts monthly livestreams on anything and everything related to autistic experiences. Aucademy is brilliant! I hope you enjoy their content and videos too, links below if you are interested:

Aucademy website:

https://aucademy.co.uk/

Aucademy YouTube channel:

https://youtube.com/@aucademy6195?si=8_UAn4qG7E2KHu_3

It’s great that you are involved in advocacy for our community, I would love to get involved with advocacy too!

What specifically have you been in contact with the MP about?

Yes I'm lucky that I can go out to the back room for five minutes if I need to. My employer is more than understanding about my autism and the sensory overload I can sometimes experience. I enjoy the work so I'm really hoping this will work out.

It’s great that your employer is supportive, I hope your job works out for you too!

• Thank you! Yes when I was looking around here it looked like a good fun community, I'm hoping I'll settle all right. Been lucky to meet you straight off the bat. Thanks for being so welcoming!

This is a Morris Traveller, from the sixties. I love the vintage styling and the wood trim around it.

My neighbour used to own one and I used to love that car and ever since wanted one myself.

Thanks for the link I'll be sure to check that page out later on today! Grinning 

That's a really cool interest and very rewarding too I bet! I have an interest in autism as well, our history and ways to hopefully grow better support. I've been in touch with my mp trying to get things improved.

Yes I'm lucky that I can go out to the back room for five minutes if I need to. My employer is more than understanding about my autism and the sensory overload I can sometimes experience. I enjoy the work so I'm really hoping this will work out.