New to this.....am I a freak?

Hi all, I'm newly diagnosed as hiighly functioning autistic.......still not sure of the meaning of this! Am I a freak? I don't really know how to feel about this diagnosis and what that means for the long term!. Any advice fro.a done who is like me? I would really be grateful! Thanks In advance.....any help/ support would be appreciated 

• Am I a freak

Absolutely not. I get why you ask the question. When I was was a teenager, 46 now, only recently diagnosed, a recurring thought I had was 'I just want to be normal'. I was going through an alternative phase and looked and felt differently to others. My diagnosis has allowed me to reframe that.

I have learned to revel in my difference to others. Different is good. Read stuff about neurodiversity and how being autistic is a normal part of human development. That's a good thought process to go down.

• Yes, I wasn't implying otherwise. 

• Hi mate. Welcome here.

No you're not a freak, you're just different, you see the world differently and act differently but that's not a bad thing and it certainly doesn't mean you're a freak.

The diagnosis affects everybody differently. For some it can be a confusing time but for others it's a comfort and peace of mind. Being autistic isn't easy, especially when you struggle with other things like anxiety and health difficulties, but you can find ways to cope.

Stick around here. It's an honest good community.

• I'm newly diagnosed as hiighly functioning autistic

Whoever diagnosed you has not used the correct terminology, as functioning labels are not and never were an official diagnostic term. They clearly were not following the latest NHS guidelines, which make it clear that functioning labels should not be used.

You may function well in one environment but be completely unable to function in another. It is a widely misunderstood term which actually prevents autistic people deemed 'high functioning' from receiving the support they need.

Am I a freak?

That does seem a somewhat odd question to ask on an autism form unless you are deliberately trying to provoke. Are we all freaks? I suppose that depends who you ask. I am curious as to why you would think that.

For the avoidance of doubt the answer is no. Your brain works differently to the neurotypical majority. Different not less.

• whereas others on the spectrum need 24/7 support. 

Other autistics who need this kind of support usually have co-occurring needs such as epilepsy, apraxia, learning disability, chronic illness, physical disability etc. It’s not usually because they are autistic that they need this level of support it is often because of a co-occurring need as explained above.

It’s not often that members of our autistic community are just autistic, it’s so common in our community to be multiply neurodivergent or have co-occurring needs.

• Welcome to the forum.

Am I a freak?

What does that even mean in this context? I think you've just put that so we can huddle around you and give you a confidence boost, in which case - no you're not a freak. But it's a bizarre consideration either way.

HFA is contested as a term in the community. But it just means you can function in day-to-day life, whereas others on the spectrum need 24/7 support. 

What your diagnosis means is you're autistic. So, watch some YouTube videos, do some reading, and use the diagnosis to understand who you are and what's best for you in your life.