My story so far

Hello everyone,

I shall keep this brief for simplicity.

Firstly, I have not been assessed or diagnosed with autism yet.

I am a male in my mid-thirties and I live in North Yorkshire. I am a volunteer worker and I enjoy reading, films and music.

From an early age, I have suffered from a range of symptoms I feel are consistent with the autism spectrum. I have raised the possibility with healthcare professionals but I have not received help for a possible assessment or diagnosis. I am more or less starting from scratch.

I am speaking with somebody soon and I intend to inquire about an assessment. Even if I am not diagnosed with autism, I would like to help others who have been (I have worked with autistic people).

Thank you for reading. 

• Hi ,

I only joined the forum a few days ago but people have been very welcoming so far, and like you, I haven't had a formal diagnosis and unsure if I even need/want one. Hopefully you get on well with your request for an assessment but if things don't turn out the way you were hoping, you should never doubt what you believe in your heart and if you can take strength and live life more positively from learning about autism and coping strategies, then that's all that really matters anyway.

• i would encourage you to read various books about autism, especially those written by people with asd... so that's temple grandin, john elder robison, et al. those are adults with autism. there are also books about kids -- i'm currently reading no more meltdown and the out of sync child thing-a-ma-jig. those are for my sensitivities. if you have out of control sensitivities, your life simply reeks. maybe u already no this, lol.

a diagnosis is probably a good thing to get, so you have more credibility. also, it would help remove any doubt in your mind about whether you are an aspie or not.... 

• You are very welcome here.

we need as much help as possible and by taking part in supporting people here you can help quite a bit ( if u want )

I think it would give you more credibility if you do actually have an assessment. It will be something  else u can help others with particularly in your area. I mean the experience of going through an assessment. It is actually good to be observed by professionals and get their feedback.......  u could be autism + ADHD or OCD  which are common mixes.

anyways I found this helped me progress through he process. Below it are extra things to add 

Make a list of reasons why u think u are autistic.

include relatives in your family who are autistic or adhd or called weird/different

and a list of occasions when u have been called weird, autistic, different

the list should be electronic ie so you can email it to anyone who wants it.

• Hi and welcome

I recognize a lot from what you're writing and know that just acknowledging oneself as autistic can make a huge difference even without the diagnosis. I'm not officially diagnosed, yet there is no doubt in my mind that I am autistic. I have a lifetime of proof. And when I allow myself to live according to my autistic traits, I feel much better.

In fact, I actually think it can be a better way, if you can get by without help of the public service.