New here - very certain I am autistic

Hi, I'm Kodey. I am a 23yr old from South England.

I have signed up here as I am fairly certain I am autistic and I am looking for some support with it. I have done a lot of reading on autism and other things that may present similarly so I am fairly certain that I am autistic. At the moment though, I don't see enough advantages to a diagnosis to weigh out the disadvantages I see with it. 

I have been struggling a lot recently with work due to stress and anxiety. No-one there knows the issues I am facing and so I mask all day. 

• I had the ADOS and the DISCO. My mum attended but her memory is awful! Also filled in a sensory questionnaire.

• I went private to avoid a lot of the stress of assessment. 2 psychologists came to my house. My mum came to fill in some of my early habits. It took 4hrs in total. Quite draining but I didn't feel massively uncomfortable. Told me there and then.

• Thanks for that. I have to renew a UK licence next year. (I've just renewed a local licence.) I heard DVLA were talking about this six months back. It struck me immediately that the diagnosis was probably only having a positive effect on my driving. Here I am in a country with one of the worst car accidents records in the World, and although driving is never restful here, I'm doing rather well with it. My basic strategy is to continue basing my driving here on UK standards, although some flexibility also does help in adapting to local driving foibles. And although I had a private diagnosis in the UK, that information could not be transmitted to a UK GP because I don't have one; I've been too long as an expat to get  any immediate assistance from the NHS. So what would be the point of reporting a diagnosis to the DVLA when it is obviously not having a negative impact, and when I can't refer them to my NHS practice anyway. Also, I have already told myself that when I no longer feel comfortable driving in the UK (and elsewhere), I WILL give up my licence and hop on public transport I reckon i have a few decades of driving to go yet, though.

• Welcome, Kodey.

Whether to go for a diagnosis or not is a very personal thing, and it's certainly not a "golden bullet" for solving all of the problems that we face. Much more important, IMHO, is to discover the experiences which we share with each other and swapping notes about how we cope with different aspects of being autistic. Some people are happy enough to leave it at that, and others, as they slowly discover more about autism or when their life changes, find the balance of advantages and disadvantages change. If you are autistic, it won't be going anywhere, so there's no need to rush into a decision either way. In any case, you're just as welcome here - it's all about the experiences, not the labels.

I hope you find the forum as beneficial to you as I have over the years.

• they used ADOS 4 on me and others I know ---If u want a true diagnosis, do not look it up. Its human observation as you do tasks nothing to worry about.

• My GP ignored me, but the mental health nurse who assessed me for anxiety was amazing. He was the one who actually referred me for diagnosis. 

Just take your time and do what feels right for you - there's no rush.

• Hi, Kodey. I'm in a fairly similar situation - I'm 25 and didn't really think I needed a diagnosis, but I started pursuing one at the end of last year (still on the waiting list). The older I get, the harder I'm finding it to mask every day, particularly at work. It gets very tiring.

I noticed you're getting therapy for anxiety soon. I found my anxiety therapy was quite helpful, so hopefully it'll improve things for you. I'm just going through OCD therapy at the moment; I think the OCD contributes a lot to my anxiety. 

Reading about autism is a good start. In terms of deciding whether to get a diagnosis, that's something only you can decide. You might reach a point when you know for sure whether you want a diagnosis or not, but you can take your time and pursue it if and when it feels right. 

Whether or not you choose to get a diagnosis, you'll be made very welcome in this forum Slight smile

• Oh, thats really reassuring to know. Everything I had seen said you had to tell them. I don't think my driving is affected at all. I've been driving for 6 years since I turned 17, passed first time and have never had any issues so I really was worried about why they needed to know. 

Thanks for the information

• as for DVLA

Julie Lennard, Chief Executive of the DVLA, wrote to us (NAS) yesterday to apologise again for the confusion and to confirm that autistic drivers only need to inform the DVLA of their diagnosis if they believe their autism could affect their driving.

https://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/media-centre/news/2019-03-04-dvla.aspx

• Yeah, that was my plan I think. If I don't go for the navy, I think I will get a diagnosis then. I just don't want to rule it out yet.

• ok thats a good reason to not go for a diagnosis.

You would lose an entire career and possibly some good training/education for very little.

wait until u are in say 5 -10 years and then maybe go for a diagnosis.

i was in army and loved it :)

• Forgot to ask in the other reply, what was the diagnosis process like for you? How did you find it?

• Hi Princess, thanks for the reply. I've not tried talking to my parents about it. They have a small understanding of autism from being scout leaders to autistic children but all there experiences have been with very severe autism in boys, as opposed to high functioning autism. I think they will deny that I have ASD because of that.

I work in tech. It has been pretty busy recently but I am part of a fairly small team who I am starting to get to know better now that I have been there for almost a year. I still struggle a lot talking to a few of them though. I am fairly certain one of the others on the team is autistic too but he doesn't really mask it much like I do. 

• Hi

I am working on reducing my anxiety. I have an anxiety diagnosis and will be starting some therapy for that at the end of November. I am also hoping to get some adjustments at work from that now as well. 

• The main disadvantage I can see is that I would have to inform the DVLA of it. I have searched into this but can't find why they need this or what they do with this information which worries me quite a bit.

Also, I am very interested in the navy and I am considering joining the reserve in the future. This would not be at all possible with an autism diagnosis. 

For reasonable adjustments at work, I think I can get all I need from my anxiety diagnosis. I am not certain that I will never go for a diagnosis, but right now it doesn't seem like the best thing for me. 

There also just other things like I am scared of going to the GP, I worry that they will ignore me as I have had that in the past for other issues. 

• Hello and welcome, Kodey! I have also recently come onto the forum, having been diagnosed with Level 2 ASD. Please do feel free to ask any questions and read my profile. I'm sure that everyone on here will give their best advice.

I myself, had suspected that I had some form of Autism for some time before I was diagnosed. Getting a diagnosis will allow you, your family and your employer, to understand why you are the way you are. Remember that you are not odd, you are unique. There is absolutely no shame in being diagnosed, it will allow your employer to give you the appropriate support that you need.

• Hi Kodey 

I feel like I’m in a similar situation. Although I’ve made it to 40 now without diagnosis I’ve always been certain that I have ASD. My mum also agrees and says it wasn’t a common thing to do back then unless you presented extremely high functioning issues.  

I’m lucky that I work in a small group of people that have gotten to know me and my ways and except me.  Though this took until I was 35. I like you always struggled with stress and anxiety at work. I don’t know your work situation but I know I feel much better being myself at work now I’m more open to my team. 

I have always been afraid to go to GP, I don’t think I really know why. 

Fraiselongue, what is the adult assessment process like? I know with my son they observed in school and home, spoke to teachers and family. But what if your an adult?

• Hi Kodey,

I was diagnosed a week ago aged 34. I've known since 21. I felt it was pointless to get a diagnosis. I was also too scared to see the GP.

However, since finally receiving confirmation it has been such a huge relief emotionally. Even in this short time I've started masking less as now if someone has an issue with me I can say "I'm autistic" rather than "I have some autistic traits" which always sounded so clunky.

As mentioned, you are legally entitled to reasonable adjustments at work, which might help to reduce your anxiety.

Also coming on here and talking to people who feel the same is really helpful, especially if you don't spend time with other autistic people in real life.

What are the disadvantages of a diagnosis for you?

• Welcome Kodey

I am sitting in work and in my break so had a wee look  in here.

If u get the diagnosis you can hand it to your employer and maybe things will change in that they will realise you have a condition that explains some of your behaviours if you are having conflict. 

Thats what I did.

main thing to concentrate on,

is the reduction of your anxiety ie managing your anxiety until you get your diagnosis. 

Others will reply after me so wait

aidie