New here - very certain I am autistic

Hi, I'm Kodey. I am a 23yr old from South England.

I have signed up here as I am fairly certain I am autistic and I am looking for some support with it. I have done a lot of reading on autism and other things that may present similarly so I am fairly certain that I am autistic. At the moment though, I don't see enough advantages to a diagnosis to weigh out the disadvantages I see with it. 

I have been struggling a lot recently with work due to stress and anxiety. No-one there knows the issues I am facing and so I mask all day. 

Parents
  • Welcome, Kodey.

Whether to go for a diagnosis or not is a very personal thing, and it's certainly not a "golden bullet" for solving all of the problems that we face. Much more important, IMHO, is to discover the experiences which we share with each other and swapping notes about how we cope with different aspects of being autistic. Some people are happy enough to leave it at that, and others, as they slowly discover more about autism or when their life changes, find the balance of advantages and disadvantages change. If you are autistic, it won't be going anywhere, so there's no need to rush into a decision either way. In any case, you're just as welcome here - it's all about the experiences, not the labels.

I hope you find the forum as beneficial to you as I have over the years.

• Welcome, Kodey.

Whether to go for a diagnosis or not is a very personal thing, and it's certainly not a "golden bullet" for solving all of the problems that we face. Much more important, IMHO, is to discover the experiences which we share with each other and swapping notes about how we cope with different aspects of being autistic. Some people are happy enough to leave it at that, and others, as they slowly discover more about autism or when their life changes, find the balance of advantages and disadvantages change. If you are autistic, it won't be going anywhere, so there's no need to rush into a decision either way. In any case, you're just as welcome here - it's all about the experiences, not the labels.

I hope you find the forum as beneficial to you as I have over the years.

Children
No Data