New here - very certain I am autistic

Hi, I'm Kodey. I am a 23yr old from South England.

I have signed up here as I am fairly certain I am autistic and I am looking for some support with it. I have done a lot of reading on autism and other things that may present similarly so I am fairly certain that I am autistic. At the moment though, I don't see enough advantages to a diagnosis to weigh out the disadvantages I see with it. 

I have been struggling a lot recently with work due to stress and anxiety. No-one there knows the issues I am facing and so I mask all day. 

Parents
  • Hi Kodey,

I was diagnosed a week ago aged 34. I've known since 21. I felt it was pointless to get a diagnosis. I was also too scared to see the GP.

However, since finally receiving confirmation it has been such a huge relief emotionally. Even in this short time I've started masking less as now if someone has an issue with me I can say "I'm autistic" rather than "I have some autistic traits" which always sounded so clunky.

As mentioned, you are legally entitled to reasonable adjustments at work, which might help to reduce your anxiety.

Also coming on here and talking to people who feel the same is really helpful, especially if you don't spend time with other autistic people in real life.

What are the disadvantages of a diagnosis for you?

• The main disadvantage I can see is that I would have to inform the DVLA of it. I have searched into this but can't find why they need this or what they do with this information which worries me quite a bit.

Also, I am very interested in the navy and I am considering joining the reserve in the future. This would not be at all possible with an autism diagnosis. 

For reasonable adjustments at work, I think I can get all I need from my anxiety diagnosis. I am not certain that I will never go for a diagnosis, but right now it doesn't seem like the best thing for me. 

There also just other things like I am scared of going to the GP, I worry that they will ignore me as I have had that in the past for other issues. 

• ok thats a good reason to not go for a diagnosis.

You would lose an entire career and possibly some good training/education for very little.

wait until u are in say 5 -10 years and then maybe go for a diagnosis.

i was in army and loved it :)

Reply Children
No Data