Autism Anxiety and Diet

Hello Everyone 

I need to help and advice as I thinking my anxiety crisis is coming back which is not great as last time it last 4 years before I entered recovery this year. I'm under alot of stress at the minute as I'm on process of changing jobs to move closer to home.

I experiencing increased tummy aches which is caused by stress and increased tension which brings on the flaps and runs. 

I'm wondering how everyone deals with Autism Anxiety using natural methods not medication. 

Also what diets do you recommend for someone who suffers with Autism to prevent complications and autism anxiety. 

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

• Research is increasingly reporting that atypical sensory integration in autistic individuals results in various symptoms including anxiety.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27559329

Some of the brain regions involved in sensory integration “contain GABAergic inhibitory neurons that release an inhibitory neurotransmitter, γ-Aminobutyric acid (GABA). Brain GABA levels are decreased in ASC.”

These brain regions are also connected to the vagus nerve which in turn is connected (among other areas) to the gastrointestinal tract. Folk metaphors such as ‘butterflies in the stomach’ allude to the relationship between anxiety and the stomach. There are other less mentionable metaphors available, including one that refers to a hot variant of the seed of the horse chestnut tree.

GABA can be found naturally in oolong tea. Oolong tea is partially fermented tea. (Green tea is unfermented, black tea is fermented.) For a study showing the positive effect of oolong tea on autistic individuals see here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31060476

Unfortunately the oolong tea that has high levels of GABA is quite expensive. I think to boost GABA levels it is placed in a nitrogen rich environment. You can buy GABA supplements for a cheaper option. Might be worth a try.

• For me, stomach cramps, bloating etc. caused by stress were IBS and I find Colpermin pills (just mint oil) or similar very effective - an natural

• I'm sorry to hear that. I get periods of agoraphobia and I hate it. I'm usually okay once I get out but it's so hard to take that first step.

Hope the probiotics help.

• So do I. Health is important as well as adventure

• Outdoor is utter torture for me at the moment due to to another on going issue which I'm keeping under certain with my family at the moment as it can't come out of the closet just yet. I tend to eat lot of rubbish so I'm trying some probatcics to help to balance everything out 

• I don't have any diet advice but the things I use for my anxiety are getting outside more, especially in nature, and just sitting or walking. I sometimes listen to the same song on repeat as I find that soothing. Yoga can be good, and I really need to try meditation properly.

Changing jobs is insanely stressful but once it becomes habit the anxiety should hopefully come down. 

• Sometimes it depends on the person you see - always worth another try. You could also look into charities and other services that support with mental health.

I hate booking appointments too, but sometimes it has to be done. Maybe you could take someone with you for support, or write down the things you want to say to your GP if you find you struggle to communicate once you're there.

• I love trying a different kinds of foods from around the world

• I'm not being funny but the Local mental is more use than chocolate fireguard anf it took my 7 years to book a dental appointment, I only booked in when my tooth ache got very bad 

• It's worth seeing your doctor, just to make sure there are no physical causes for your stomach upsets. You might also be able to get some support with your anxiety (e.g. talking therapies rather than medication). I'm going through cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) at the moment.

• To decrease anxiety, stress and tummy aches I would recommend:

1) Cutting out white sugar

2) Not having much caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate)

3) Avoid anything processed like white rice, white bread, packets of crisps and frozen oven chips. Choose the whole grains instead like brown rice. When you cook brown rice rinse it in a sieve before cooking it to get rid of any of the bran still left on it, which is hard to digest

4) If all of this doesn't do enough to help, try being more strict with food combining. Some people find they digest better if they have vegetables with a carb like rice or potatoes, but no protein. Or protein with vegetables but no carb like rice. There's some evidence to back this up from tests that have been done

5) Eat fruit separate to meals except something like a lemon squeezed on. Fruit combining with other food types also leads to more indigestion