The Music Thread

There are members here very into music, particularly from past decades, so I thought maybe a dedicated thread would be a good idea.

I've lived within 6 decades of music.

My favourite is the 1970s and I think the best (debatable of course).

I've realised since my diagnosis that for 20 years (70s and 80s) music was my 'special interest'.

I've not had such an avid interest since the 90s and in fact, I find the associations with music mostly too painful to be able to listen.

Music is a sure trigger to memories for me and often the associated pain.

So, why the 70s?

Tamla Motown, Soul, Disco, Reggae, Punk, Glam Rock, New Wave....

Fleetwood Mac, Abba, Elton John, Bowie, Iggy Pop, Talking Heads, Pink Flloyd, Velvet Underground, Gary Numan, B52s...

What are your favourite eras and what do you consider the (debatable) 'best' ?

Please feel free to talk about anything music related here including classical.

Notes

• Have you watched Daisy Jones and the six on Amazon? I love the soundtrack from the series and that's got a 70s vibe to it. The series is loosely based on Fleetwood Mac but the band in it is fictional with new music. 

• Dazed and Confused was another Style Magazine I used to buy. I don't know if that's still going?

• At 51 yrs old, I honestly think it's low given that some people I knew went to 2 or 3 gigs a week in various places and they are in their late 50's and early 60's lol

• must have attended over 150 gigs in my lifetime

That is a huge amount.

• Totally me not wanting you to listen to it so I can begin my secret operation: get Debbie to watch Frozen films one day

Stranger things have happened ... Blush

• Okie. 

…Yknow..

There’s a Frozen 2 song that is inspired by 80s music (according to people. I can’t say from my own knowledge), it’s called ‘Lost in the Woods’..

(Totally me not wanting you to listen to it so I can begin my secret operation: get Debbie to watch Frozen films one day…)

• I found it was the first musical that didn’t make me want to stick my fingers in my ears and eyes, up to then musicals were all top hats, canes and strange female dancers dressed in feathers. I’ve never seen Michael but did enjoy Travolta In Phenomenon and Broken Arrow. 

• I don't think I've ever seen Grease all the way through, or Saturday Night Fever to me they were just cringe worthy, especially Grease, I think they put me off musicals for life and John Travolta until I saw him in the film Michael.

• This made me laugh 

• I’m very much the same with supermarket Christmas music, it just makes me want to scream. My wife also worked in an Etam on Saturdays. You’re lucky your name isn’t Mandy!

Bank holidays are so unsettling , my wife is working, it isn’t a normal weekday or weekend. It’s just wrong, it just takes me back to school holidays, weeks of never seeing another person unless they we’re family. I would listen to other children when school returned, they would recount their adventures.. I suppose it’s another instance of just not knowing why we were different. I was jealous of their adventures but wouldn’t have wanted to have joined in.

Sorry maudlin now, I shall go and work on some metal before mother rises from her bed. ( nearly said box)

• I'm a 70's kid and my favourite pop era was the 80's plus it was the birth of Thrash Metal.

Bands that I have seen live.

SLAYER x 19

Metallica x 4

Megadeath 

Anthrax x 12

Dire Straits

Onslaught x 10

Cradle of Filth x 6

Anhilihated x 6

Runrig 

Bryan Adams

Bon Jovi x 2

Skunk Annasie

Gun x 2

Machine Head x 3

Marduck 

Opeth x 5

The Blues Pill

The Vintage Caravan

Iron Maiden

WASP

Slash's Snakepit

White Zombie

Testament x 2

Numerous local gigs with bands like Splintered Halo, Fallen Fate, Black King Cobra.

Seen Punk bands like Anti-Nowhere League

In short, I must have attended over 150 gigs in my lifetime, Glasgow has a very good live scene with plenty of good live music venues like Ivory Blacks, Audio, The Garage & G2.

• One of only two Wilburys left

That's very sad.

Getting older isn't much fun but it's better than the alternative.

I can't bear BM because when I worked in Etam on a Saturday as a teenager his Copacabana album was played on repeat and I felt tortured by it.

In fact, I'm still in therapy now Blush

• I did enjoy Elton, he is in the top 3, Yellow Brick Road is my favourite, the second would be Tiny Dancer.

Barry Manilow is a true showman and non stop. The best was ELO, they played every hit and the light show was amazing. One of only two Wilburys left. Frowning2

• Great list.

Peters + Lee ... mmm ..

I'd love to have seen some of those.

You've reminded me actually that I've also seen Kate Rusby (not on my list).

It's a hard choice, but out of those, Elton John doing Yellow Brick Road would be my favourite I think.

• Texas x2

Madness x6

Chrissie Hynde

Paloma Faith

Billy Ocean 

Blondie

ELO.

Bellowhead

Jamie Cullum x2

Elton John

Ststus Quo

The lightning Seeds

Gregory Porter

Travis

LeAnn Rymes

The Corrs

Will Young

Leona Lewis

kate Rusby

Bryan Adams

Rod Stewart

Jerry Lee Lewis

Little Richard 

Chuck Berry

ABC

Smokey Robinson

Kylie & Jason

Barry Manilow 

Azwad

Jools Holland

Cold Play

Olly Alexander

Stereophonics x2

James Blunt.

Steel Eye Span

and not forgetting Peters & Lee

• Yes. I used to buy all three.

I kept every issue of The Face for many years but sadly we parted company Confused

I have just read that it was relaunched in 2019.

• Big interest in Talking Heads at the moment.

I played Remain in Light when it came out until the grooves wore out.

• I love 80s music.

• I wish I had seen all of those except REM.

I had records for all the 80s ones except DM.