The Music Thread

There are members here very into music, particularly from past decades, so I thought maybe a dedicated thread would be a good idea.

I've lived within 6 decades of music.

My favourite is the 1970s and I think the best (debatable of course).

I've realised since my diagnosis that for 20 years (70s and 80s) music was my 'special interest'.

I've not had such an avid interest since the 90s and in fact, I find the associations with music mostly too painful to be able to listen.

Music is a sure trigger to memories for me and often the associated pain.

So, why the 70s?

Tamla Motown, Soul, Disco, Reggae, Punk, Glam Rock, New Wave....

Fleetwood Mac, Abba, Elton John, Bowie, Iggy Pop, Talking Heads, Pink Flloyd, Velvet Underground, Gary Numan, B52s...

What are your favourite eras and what do you consider the (debatable) 'best' ?

Please feel free to talk about anything music related here including classical.

Notes

• At age 53, I was a teenager in the 80’s so I like all of the gay artists and for the longest time, I’ve been a huge Kylie Minogue fan 

• Brilliant choices of 80s, there! 3 of my favourites right there! Let's see what you think about the grave when you hit 50 Joy I managed until my 40s

• rave till the grave thats my saying, koko camden is amazing small venue but mighty once all the ravers fill it up

i also like bands like Joy Division, The Cure, Echo and The Bunnymen 

• Raves were great. Can't hack them now, of course. Trance was my thing too, but I'm a lot older.

It's great that you like all those eras too.

My main love is for 80s alternative music.

• Hello!

Omg i would call myself an music addict, without music my feelings go numb.

I want so bad to comment on this but i am short of time.

Everyone who is into hard rock/metal/Disney music etc should listen to Devin Townsend. Been looking for an artist lile this my whole life and he is doing so much, and so much different music.

Devin Townsend - Kingdom

Devin Townsend - Lighthouse

Devin Townsend - WHY

This is magic for most autistic people, his music is called Wall Of Sound.

Cheers i will get back to this, have a nice weekend!

• so many of my favourite artists on there, i managed to get coldplay tickets for wembley  next year, i saw them back in 2022 and it was a dream come true

• hi im  34 years old and i absolutely love music, its one of my special interests

music is everything to me, i listen to it everyday i cant do any tasks without having music in my ears.

i have a wide range of musical tastes, i dislike country music

i love the 50s,60s,70s and 2000s

Trance music is my absolute fav genre ive listened to it since i was 8 years old , ive been to two raves and loved it 

im noise sensitivebut ive been to countless concerts ive lost count, ive seen many of my fav artists and thats one of my happy places

• 'polyjamorous

I didn't know that word.

A lovely play on polyamorous.

Enjoy Notes

• Music is one of my special interests and I was recently told that I'm 'polyjamorous' meaning I listen to all kinds of genres.  I can spend all day listening to anything from heavy metal to country and everything in between.

My current favourite band is sleep token, I have been listening to them for a couple of years now and something about their music just makes my brain feel right, I don't know how to explain it other than that.

• There hasn’t been a day go by in the last 30 years when I’ve not listened to Alanis Morissette. Her and Tori Amos I’ve seen countless times live. Never Joni Mitchell but I love her music

• This is a verse of ‘Both sides now.’

Beautiful song.

Sparkling heart

• Good choice Roy.  I especially love listening to Joni in the winter.  Her music suits that season.

• I’m going through a Joni Mitchell phase at the moment, I’ve come to realise that people come and go, music has always stayed, like a constant companion. Everyday is still a voyage of discovery.

I suppose we change as our true autistic selves start to emerge. This is a verse of ‘Both sides now.’

Oh, but now old friends, they're acting strange

And they shake their heads and they tell me that I've changed
    Well, something's lost, but something's gained
    In living every day

Ive added a link, it’s a slower version but seems to have more depth.

youtu.be/PtEUStWxod0

• I'm not really into stuff from before a few years ago, and I don't like anyone that anyone's ever heard of. I like stuff like anime songs and EDM. Here's some of my top artists/bands according to Spotify. Di Young, The Living Tombstone (anyone who doesn't like fnaf deserves to burn in hell), Autumn J, SawanoHiroyuki[nZk], and thirtyonetwentyfive.

• I think that I've always enjoyed music much differently from the average person these days. Most people seem to enjoy music based on the performance, the performers, the stylistic qualities, the brand, the mood, the words, the identifiability, the cultural aspects, but for me the draw of music has always been composition.

It took me a while to realize all this. I probably annoyed a lot of people when I was younger analyzing music at them, assuming that everyone who liked music cared about the composition, but eventually I realised that no one cared about that and music is actually just something for subjective enjoyment and it doesn't really matter lol.

I like music that meets a certain threshold for complexity, does not repeat too much, but still has some sort of structure and progression. I love to have  polyphony/counterpoint integrated into the music and also beautiful melodies.

This way of listening to music eventually led me to believe that, using my personal assessment, music really peaked in the Renaissance Era. There are certain later composers that resisted the change to create more "crowd pleasing" music that started in the Baroque and flourished ever since.

Here are some composers I like off the top of my head:

• Bach
    • Buxtehude
    • Lassus
    • Gibbons
    • Dowland
    • Frescobaldi
    • Pachelbel
    • Bull
    • Gabrielli
    • de Rore

Lately I've also been having fun making AI generated music! Here are some of my creations on Udio:

www.udio.com/.../Spreadsheets

• Us too. I got completely obsessed with the music, story and I'm hoping the rumours are true that the cast are going to do a tour with the soundtrack. 

• I grew up in the 90s, so lots of my music is early 90s indie bands, Carter USM, Levellers, Mega City Four and others. Seen most of them live too. I also spent time with punk and new wave stuff during that period. My Dad always played me cool stuff from the 60s, Dylan, The Who, Stones, which I still love. Seen all of them too. Love Neil Young, but never seen him live. He also got me into classic 60s pop, think American Grafitti, but also later stuff like the Grateful Dead, Paul Simon and Guy Clark.

When I went to uni, I got into electronic music, drum and bass, jungle, ambient. Lots of DJs seen live at various festivals and clubs. Creamfields is local to me, so spent many a sunrise in some dance tent somewhere. Went to Ibiza one year, but don't remember any DJs I saw.....

Would love to have seen The Clash and other punk greats l, but I am too young for that. Lately I am getting into sea shanties and related songs and styles. It's that vague outsider vibe I love. 

• We loved that series! Really evocative of the time.

• Have you watched Daisy Jones and the six on Amazon?

Nope.

Interesting.