The Music Thread

There are members here very into music, particularly from past decades, so I thought maybe a dedicated thread would be a good idea.

I've lived within 6 decades of music.

My favourite is the 1970s and I think the best (debatable of course).

I've realised since my diagnosis that for 20 years (70s and 80s) music was my 'special interest'.

I've not had such an avid interest since the 90s and in fact, I find the associations with music mostly too painful to be able to listen.

Music is a sure trigger to memories for me and often the associated pain.

So, why the 70s?

Tamla Motown, Soul, Disco, Reggae, Punk, Glam Rock, New Wave....

Fleetwood Mac, Abba, Elton John, Bowie, Iggy Pop, Talking Heads, Pink Flloyd, Velvet Underground, Gary Numan, B52s...

What are your favourite eras and what do you consider the (debatable) 'best' ?

Please feel free to talk about anything music related here including classical.

Notes

Parents
  • I grew up in the 90s, so lots of my music is early 90s indie bands, Carter USM, Levellers, Mega City Four and others. Seen most of them live too. I also spent time with punk and new wave stuff during that period. My Dad always played me cool stuff from the 60s, Dylan, The Who, Stones, which I still love. Seen all of them too. Love Neil Young, but never seen him live. He also got me into classic 60s pop, think American Grafitti, but also later stuff like the Grateful Dead, Paul Simon and Guy Clark.

When I went to uni, I got into electronic music, drum and bass, jungle, ambient. Lots of DJs seen live at various festivals and clubs. Creamfields is local to me, so spent many a sunrise in some dance tent somewhere. Went to Ibiza one year, but don't remember any DJs I saw.....

Would love to have seen The Clash and other punk greats l, but I am too young for that. Lately I am getting into sea shanties and related songs and styles. It's that vague outsider vibe I love. 

• I grew up in the 90s, so lots of my music is early 90s indie bands, Carter USM, Levellers, Mega City Four and others. Seen most of them live too. I also spent time with punk and new wave stuff during that period. My Dad always played me cool stuff from the 60s, Dylan, The Who, Stones, which I still love. Seen all of them too. Love Neil Young, but never seen him live. He also got me into classic 60s pop, think American Grafitti, but also later stuff like the Grateful Dead, Paul Simon and Guy Clark.

When I went to uni, I got into electronic music, drum and bass, jungle, ambient. Lots of DJs seen live at various festivals and clubs. Creamfields is local to me, so spent many a sunrise in some dance tent somewhere. Went to Ibiza one year, but don't remember any DJs I saw.....

Would love to have seen The Clash and other punk greats l, but I am too young for that. Lately I am getting into sea shanties and related songs and styles. It's that vague outsider vibe I love. 

Children
No Data