The Music Thread

There are members here very into music, particularly from past decades, so I thought maybe a dedicated thread would be a good idea.

I've lived within 6 decades of music.

My favourite is the 1970s and I think the best (debatable of course).

I've realised since my diagnosis that for 20 years (70s and 80s) music was my 'special interest'.

I've not had such an avid interest since the 90s and in fact, I find the associations with music mostly too painful to be able to listen.

Music is a sure trigger to memories for me and often the associated pain.

So, why the 70s?

Tamla Motown, Soul, Disco, Reggae, Punk, Glam Rock, New Wave....

Fleetwood Mac, Abba, Elton John, Bowie, Iggy Pop, Talking Heads, Pink Flloyd, Velvet Underground, Gary Numan, B52s...

What are your favourite eras and what do you consider the (debatable) 'best' ?

Please feel free to talk about anything music related here including classical.

Notes

Parents
  • I think that I've always enjoyed music much differently from the average person these days. Most people seem to enjoy music based on the performance, the performers, the stylistic qualities, the brand, the mood, the words, the identifiability, the cultural aspects, but for me the draw of music has always been composition.

It took me a while to realize all this. I probably annoyed a lot of people when I was younger analyzing music at them, assuming that everyone who liked music cared about the composition, but eventually I realised that no one cared about that and music is actually just something for subjective enjoyment and it doesn't really matter lol.

I like music that meets a certain threshold for complexity, does not repeat too much, but still has some sort of structure and progression. I love to have  polyphony/counterpoint integrated into the music and also beautiful melodies.

This way of listening to music eventually led me to believe that, using my personal assessment, music really peaked in the Renaissance Era. There are certain later composers that resisted the change to create more "crowd pleasing" music that started in the Baroque and flourished ever since.

Here are some composers I like off the top of my head:

• Bach
    • Buxtehude
    • Lassus
    • Gibbons
    • Dowland
    • Frescobaldi
    • Pachelbel
    • Bull
    • Gabrielli
    • de Rore

Lately I've also been having fun making AI generated music! Here are some of my creations on Udio:

www.udio.com/.../Spreadsheets

• I think that I've always enjoyed music much differently from the average person these days. Most people seem to enjoy music based on the performance, the performers, the stylistic qualities, the brand, the mood, the words, the identifiability, the cultural aspects, but for me the draw of music has always been composition.

It took me a while to realize all this. I probably annoyed a lot of people when I was younger analyzing music at them, assuming that everyone who liked music cared about the composition, but eventually I realised that no one cared about that and music is actually just something for subjective enjoyment and it doesn't really matter lol.

I like music that meets a certain threshold for complexity, does not repeat too much, but still has some sort of structure and progression. I love to have  polyphony/counterpoint integrated into the music and also beautiful melodies.

This way of listening to music eventually led me to believe that, using my personal assessment, music really peaked in the Renaissance Era. There are certain later composers that resisted the change to create more "crowd pleasing" music that started in the Baroque and flourished ever since.

Here are some composers I like off the top of my head:

• Bach
    • Buxtehude
    • Lassus
    • Gibbons
    • Dowland
    • Frescobaldi
    • Pachelbel
    • Bull
    • Gabrielli
    • de Rore

Lately I've also been having fun making AI generated music! Here are some of my creations on Udio:

www.udio.com/.../Spreadsheets

Children
No Data