Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)

A friend of mine who is autistic was recently diagnosed with this.

I've read of others here in the past who have the diagnosis.

I've wondered if I have the disorder although I don't have the diagnosis.

When I was younger (around 30 years ago) I remember telling my GP that I felt 'locked into a state of anxiety' and that is when he put me onto antidepressants (again).

A few years later I saw a letter from the hospital which listed my medical conditions and it included anxiety.

This really bemused me as I thought anxiety was just an ordinary part of everyday life.

I believe that the disorder diagnosis is a fairly recently one (I must check that out).

I'm pretty certain that the anxiety will be closely tied into the challenges of being autistic and also I have undiagnosed OCD which is obviously anxiety based and have had this since I was a small child.

What do others think - do you have a diagnosis? 

Do you become anxious in certain situations?

Or are you just anxious all the time?

• I'm similar to you Martin, I've not been diagnosed with GAD, but I have been for social phobia. I too look for cues on how to behave, when I was a child I could never understand why people didn't behave the way they did in books or one tv, that led to all sorts of problems!

I do have anticipatory anxiety, I think everyone does, lots of us dont' like the dentist and look forward to it with dread, even though we know we need treatment, I don't know any woman who looks forward to smear tests or the boob squeezing machine. I think a lot of mine is mixed up with PTSD, we all have complex needs and fears, even NT people and to be honest I think seperating things out into NT and non NT does everyone a disservice.

• Typically, neurotypical anxiety is anticipatory, concerned with "what if" scenarios that may never materialize. In contrast, Autistic dread often stems from "what will" scenarios—situations we know will be uncomfortable or distressing based on past experiences.

I’ve actually described this many times in my life (except for the NT and autistic part), I didn’t know it was really a ‘thing’. 

• A most excellent description of different types of anxiety and why they can be experienced by autistic individuals in comparison with neurotypical peers.

neurodivergentinsights.com/.../autistic-anxiety

• The only way I can totally avoid anxiety is not interacting with others at all.  But that's no life!  I don't know if you feel the same but what a predicament!

• My experience of generalised anxiety is a pervading sense of unease which doesn't abate. As stated below my experience is the underlying reasons are different to those of a neurotypical person.

I can see how being in this state puts a slant on how thoughts and emotions are framed and projected. To the negative! Having been lucky to have a sustained period of calmer waters but now choppy again, has led me to the conclusion that we don't ever have a fixed state of being of anything. We are constantly in flux to ourselves and our surroundings.

I'm also saying negative thoughts can be as a result of physical instability, (fight/flight) rather than the other way round.

• Not GAD but SAD - situational anxiety disorder. There are certain specific situations which make me incredibly anxious. I know those situations and avoid them. If I do not, I completely shut down with anxiety. Thankfully those situations are very specific and avoidable and I can mostly avoid them with ease. I cannot imagine how people cope with more general anxiety if it is at the level I suffer when triggered. 

• I use some SSRI medication for my anxiety they work well. But sadly have a lot of side effects so I am on a low dose to get benefits of the drug without side effects. They’re great though. Did you know what serotonin is one of the main major inhibitory neurotransmitters like GABA? It slows down your brain and makes you think less similar to alcohol. But thing with SSRIs is that they take ages to start working. I like alcohol for its inhibitory effects. It basically slows my mind down and helps me think less but it’s not healthy. So I am trying not to drink alcohol. Did you know that alcohol is addictive? Especially for people who think too much like us autistic folks. 

• Anxiety is defo the part of Autism.I get incredibly anxious medication helps but even with that if I get something negative happen i sweat like pouring tap .At my worst I was scared to get out of bed scared to go out for a coffee and loads more

• That’s good I’ve not tried that one but I am on an SSRI too and they’re the best.

• I still have social anxiety though and still don't cope so well with that one 

• Yes I am autistic and have GAD. I was prescribed escitalopram it's working so well for me. It's keeping me at work I was melting and shutting down regularly. Now I can get through working days without doing that. 

• You see, part of the first floor rather suddenly, in the middle of the night, became part of the ground floor. This catastrophe was, of course, quickly followed by a flood. 

Oh Ben, I was so sorry to read this.

That must have been a terrible experience and of course you are still suffering because of it.

I do hope it all works out OK for you in the end and that you settle into your temporary home OK.

feoffees

I learnt a new word.

• Thank you Debbie,

I don't actually own my home, it is a former Almshouse - the feoffees having handed it over to a local housing association some years ago.

I'm not actually going to a new home, I'm going to a temporary home for a number of months whilst my old place is being 'restored'.  You see, part of the first floor rather suddenly, in the middle of the night, became part of the ground floor. This catastrophe was, of course, quickly followed by a flood. 

I slept through all of this in an adjacent room, meeting the morning with surprise, panic, disbelief, and lots of OMG like expressions.

The house is Georgian and some of the old timbers had, it seems, 'deteriorated'.

Oh woe is me.

Ben

• I am currently preparing to move house in about ten days... Anxiety??   You bet there is!!

All the best with that Ben.

Moving house (including the horrible process of selling and buying at the same time) is one of the great stressors in life (as you know).

I hope you will be very happy in your new home.

• I have had a diagnosis of GAD for quite a few years now. My GP looked at my many earlier diagnoses containing  the  words 'stress', 'anxiety' etc, and issued the GAD diagnosis explaining that this was a new diagnosis which rounded up all the earlier anxiety conditions.

A GP in the early nineties came to my home and recorded in his notes  'Anxiety State Reality', which was what most of us would describe as a nervous breakdown; however, the professionals don't seem to like that term.

I am currently preparing to move house in about ten days... Anxiety??   You bet there is!!

I'm an expert!!

Ben

• YES - giving up work was a massive relief! There are still so many triggers, but I'm not forced into anxiety inducing situations nearly so much now.

• I've tried CBD oil of various types, THC is a bit more problematic as I work and they drug test. 

I think if I can possibly get some decent sleep I may feel better. I've asked my GP if they can prescribe Quviviq.

• Thank you everyone for the very interesting responses here.

Anxiety alone is pretty disabling.

Sharing strategies to cope is useful.

Mine is the SSRI antidepressant Paroxetine.

I did however have the opportunity to give up work which removed the single greatest stressor of my life.

I wish you all less anxiety in your lives.

Bouquet

• Are you in the UK?  I didn't want anyone here in the Uk to procure for themselves illegal weed (it's easy to do). without knowing the dangers.