Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)

A friend of mine who is autistic was recently diagnosed with this.

I've read of others here in the past who have the diagnosis.

I've wondered if I have the disorder although I don't have the diagnosis.

When I was younger (around 30 years ago) I remember telling my GP that I felt 'locked into a state of anxiety' and that is when he put me onto antidepressants (again).

A few years later I saw a letter from the hospital which listed my medical conditions and it included anxiety.

This really bemused me as I thought anxiety was just an ordinary part of everyday life.

I believe that the disorder diagnosis is a fairly recently one (I must check that out).

I'm pretty certain that the anxiety will be closely tied into the challenges of being autistic and also I have undiagnosed OCD which is obviously anxiety based and have had this since I was a small child.

What do others think - do you have a diagnosis? 

Do you become anxious in certain situations?

Or are you just anxious all the time?

Parents
  • I have had a diagnosis of GAD for quite a few years now. My GP looked at my many earlier diagnoses containing  the  words 'stress', 'anxiety' etc, and issued the GAD diagnosis explaining that this was a new diagnosis which rounded up all the earlier anxiety conditions.

A GP in the early nineties came to my home and recorded in his notes  'Anxiety State Reality', which was what most of us would describe as a nervous breakdown; however, the professionals don't seem to like that term.

I am currently preparing to move house in about ten days... Anxiety??   You bet there is!!

I'm an expert!!

Ben

• I am currently preparing to move house in about ten days... Anxiety??   You bet there is!!

All the best with that Ben.

Moving house (including the horrible process of selling and buying at the same time) is one of the great stressors in life (as you know).

I hope you will be very happy in your new home.

• Thank you Debbie,

I don't actually own my home, it is a former Almshouse - the feoffees having handed it over to a local housing association some years ago.

I'm not actually going to a new home, I'm going to a temporary home for a number of months whilst my old place is being 'restored'.  You see, part of the first floor rather suddenly, in the middle of the night, became part of the ground floor. This catastrophe was, of course, quickly followed by a flood. 

I slept through all of this in an adjacent room, meeting the morning with surprise, panic, disbelief, and lots of OMG like expressions.

The house is Georgian and some of the old timbers had, it seems, 'deteriorated'.

Oh woe is me.

Ben

• Thank you Debbie,

I don't actually own my home, it is a former Almshouse - the feoffees having handed it over to a local housing association some years ago.

I'm not actually going to a new home, I'm going to a temporary home for a number of months whilst my old place is being 'restored'.  You see, part of the first floor rather suddenly, in the middle of the night, became part of the ground floor. This catastrophe was, of course, quickly followed by a flood. 

I slept through all of this in an adjacent room, meeting the morning with surprise, panic, disbelief, and lots of OMG like expressions.

The house is Georgian and some of the old timbers had, it seems, 'deteriorated'.

Oh woe is me.

Ben

Children
  • You see, part of the first floor rather suddenly, in the middle of the night, became part of the ground floor. This catastrophe was, of course, quickly followed by a flood. 

Oh Ben, I was so sorry to read this.

That must have been a terrible experience and of course you are still suffering because of it.

I do hope it all works out OK for you in the end and that you settle into your temporary home OK.

feoffees

I learnt a new word.