Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)

A friend of mine who is autistic was recently diagnosed with this.

I've read of others here in the past who have the diagnosis.

I've wondered if I have the disorder although I don't have the diagnosis.

When I was younger (around 30 years ago) I remember telling my GP that I felt 'locked into a state of anxiety' and that is when he put me onto antidepressants (again).

A few years later I saw a letter from the hospital which listed my medical conditions and it included anxiety.

This really bemused me as I thought anxiety was just an ordinary part of everyday life.

I believe that the disorder diagnosis is a fairly recently one (I must check that out).

I'm pretty certain that the anxiety will be closely tied into the challenges of being autistic and also I have undiagnosed OCD which is obviously anxiety based and have had this since I was a small child.

What do others think - do you have a diagnosis? 

Do you become anxious in certain situations?

Or are you just anxious all the time?

Parents
  • My experience of generalised anxiety is a pervading sense of unease which doesn't abate. As stated below my experience is the underlying reasons are different to those of a neurotypical person.

I can see how being in this state puts a slant on how thoughts and emotions are framed and projected. To the negative! Having been lucky to have a sustained period of calmer waters but now choppy again, has led me to the conclusion that we don't ever have a fixed state of being of anything. We are constantly in flux to ourselves and our surroundings.

I'm also saying negative thoughts can be as a result of physical instability, (fight/flight) rather than the other way round.

• My experience of generalised anxiety is a pervading sense of unease which doesn't abate. As stated below my experience is the underlying reasons are different to those of a neurotypical person.

I can see how being in this state puts a slant on how thoughts and emotions are framed and projected. To the negative! Having been lucky to have a sustained period of calmer waters but now choppy again, has led me to the conclusion that we don't ever have a fixed state of being of anything. We are constantly in flux to ourselves and our surroundings.

I'm also saying negative thoughts can be as a result of physical instability, (fight/flight) rather than the other way round.

Children