Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)

A friend of mine who is autistic was recently diagnosed with this.

I've read of others here in the past who have the diagnosis.

I've wondered if I have the disorder although I don't have the diagnosis.

When I was younger (around 30 years ago) I remember telling my GP that I felt 'locked into a state of anxiety' and that is when he put me onto antidepressants (again).

A few years later I saw a letter from the hospital which listed my medical conditions and it included anxiety.

This really bemused me as I thought anxiety was just an ordinary part of everyday life.

I believe that the disorder diagnosis is a fairly recently one (I must check that out).

I'm pretty certain that the anxiety will be closely tied into the challenges of being autistic and also I have undiagnosed OCD which is obviously anxiety based and have had this since I was a small child.

What do others think - do you have a diagnosis? 

Do you become anxious in certain situations?

Or are you just anxious all the time?

Parents
  • I use some SSRI medication for my anxiety they work well. But sadly have a lot of side effects so I am on a low dose to get benefits of the drug without side effects. They’re great though. Did you know what serotonin is one of the main major inhibitory neurotransmitters like GABA? It slows down your brain and makes you think less similar to alcohol. But thing with SSRIs is that they take ages to start working. I like alcohol for its inhibitory effects. It basically slows my mind down and helps me think less but it’s not healthy. So I am trying not to drink alcohol. Did you know that alcohol is addictive? Especially for people who think too much like us autistic folks. 

• I use some SSRI medication for my anxiety they work well. But sadly have a lot of side effects so I am on a low dose to get benefits of the drug without side effects. They’re great though. Did you know what serotonin is one of the main major inhibitory neurotransmitters like GABA? It slows down your brain and makes you think less similar to alcohol. But thing with SSRIs is that they take ages to start working. I like alcohol for its inhibitory effects. It basically slows my mind down and helps me think less but it’s not healthy. So I am trying not to drink alcohol. Did you know that alcohol is addictive? Especially for people who think too much like us autistic folks. 

Children
No Data